Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Once more into the breach! (EU3 MP thread)

Alright, I think we should give this another go over the winter months. Once or twice a week games sound good? I'm not much of an organizer, but just think it's something we should consider.

Snefix

Novice
I'd be on board with participating. I've never done an EU3 MP game, but I've done plenty of single player games.

i.e. I'm fresh meat. :salute:

Don't worry, we were a surprisingly forgiving bunch. Not nearly as much ruthlessness as you would expect from Codexers.

oscar

Arcane
I'd love too but last time I tried I had constant problems.

Death and Taxes... I don't know how balanced it is. I'd probably say vanilla DW for ease. I could make an LP, but think, it's only from one perspective. AARs from the major movers would probably make more sense.

As far as clear Gentlemen's Rules and player rules, I agree.

Breaking Axe

Educated
I'm mostly familiar with Magna Mundi but I wouldn't mind giving multiplayer vanilla a shot providing the game starts at a palatable time for GMT +10

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sorry, not looking to reinstall. Besides, I'm scared you guys would gang up on me and make me feel bad.

Renegen

Arcane
Sure, sign me up! Before Death & Taxes is finalized however, we'd have to check for imbalances or a lot bugs, because there's a high likelihood of both...

In the unlikely scenario of this going further than the last thread about starting another MP game, I'm up for it :thumbsup:

Either way - needs better LP coverage.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I would play with dudes from Paradox forums but they scare me. Wayyyyyyyy too competitive for me. So hopefully this game actually gets somewhere.

I support the idea of prepicked nations. With slight modifications:
1. Portugal OR Argaon is a must.
2. Castille is a must unless both Portugal and Aragon are human controlled.
3. France definitely needs to be human controlled and by a person who shows up regularly.
4. England is a must.
5. Austria is a must.
6. Denmark or Sweden are optional but good ideas. Must haves if Russian power is present.
7. Poland or Brandenburg or Bohemia or Muscovy or Novgorod should be human controlled. Preferably one central European nation and one Russian. Russian one shouldnt be played if it doesnt have at least two competitors nearby.
8. Ottoman Empire is a must.

This places us at 2 Iberian + 2 other western European + 2 central European + 1 north European + 2 eastern European powers totalling 9 players for a fairly balanced game.

I don't know how necessary the Ottoman's are, unless you want a check on Austrian expansion into Hungary and whatnot....

I think we should also do things with player v player wars. War goals and a neutral arbiter at the end of the war to divide spoils or something.

And it seems like we have 7 or so that are looking to do this, and I may be able to get my brother on board as well. He's a fledgling and will probably threaten to kick someones ass if he gets pissed, but he's a warm body.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ottoman Empire is there to keep in check both Austria and Russia, possibly also Iberian power aiming for Northern Africa/France wanting to expand into Egypt. OE is the natural competitor for Russia, otherwise Russia gets free reign east.

Ming is too isolated to be worthwile.

It should work like this:
Portugal and France keep in check Aragon/Castille, France is kept in check by Engand/Castille/HRE, Central Europe (HRE/Bohemia/Poland) is kept by North and Russia/OE, in the east OE and Russia watch each other while being watched by Central Europe. Unfortunately there is nothing east from that, but hopefully western Europe will aim for India and that gives us full circle...

Renegen

Arcane
Does Magna Mundi have multiplayer? Because administrative efficiency tends to contains the blobs pretty well.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Renegen said:
Does Magna Mundi have multiplayer? Because administrative efficiency tends to contains the blobs pretty well.

It doesnt. OOS everywhere and buggy, laggy, unablanced.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Team Codexia is back, eh?

Regarding mods, I've successfully played MEIOU with a friend with a direct IP connection, and we had no problems with synchronisation or stability. The downside is that MEIOU loads fucking slow.

Vaarna_Aarne

I might join, assuming you guys are willing to consider some of the minor modding I made (namely a base tax improvement decision for shitty provinces in Western Europe for small countries for cash, and an alternative flag for Scandinavia; also an improvement to the Hackapells decision because it's ridiculously underpowered considering history, it'd give Discipline now as well). The other part depends on what time it is.

EDIT: I also have a small alternate history path modded in for Finland if anyone wants that to occur. Basically it's just a decision chain if vassal status is broken that gives a fighting chance against all the neighbours (through the Hackapell decision and slight improvements to base tax), and a mission chain for conquering the neighbouring Finno-Ugric areas and decisions for improving them slightly afterwards (+ renaming). If Sweden isn't absolutely wanted instead, I would like to play as the Holy Karelian Emperor (halp needed for that).

Vaarna_Aarne

Since my timezone is no mystery, I'll just ask again about whether or not we'll be using the limited modding I've made or not. And of course, are we starting with Grand Campaign or with Fall of Byzantium. I'd also be much more comfortable being the less important modded Finland (setting up the release should be easy, with Fall of Byzantium someone just needs to set up the opening day to have Sweden give Release as a peace offer to Danish). This is due to the fact I'd be much more on the level of fighting some Russian AI mongrels with helping hand from big mean Westerners/Potatoes. Sweden->Scandinavia would be a bit too big of a role with my playing skills, I think. I'd much rather conquer/buy Olonets, Ingria, Livland and Estonia and then happily build up Finnic prosperity, maybe someday pushing Eastern expansion (though Novgorod is a province ASAP I definately want to boost my national defense and economy, if anyone plays Muscovy or Potato I'm very amiable for sharing Northern Russia in their favour).

And yes, as long as the timezone is good, I'm in. I've been practising (and playtesting my stuff) for this.

Anyway, modding I've done for now:

The Finland stuff, strictly ahistorical based around entirely on the idea if Swedish rule had been broken before eradication of pre-Christian identity was complete. Basically just a decision that ups Finland on par with the rest of Scandinavia in base tax, sets up a ruling house as Fornjótr, capital at Viborg, lots of names for generals/rulers/boats/whatnot, missions involving conquering Olonets, Ingria and Estonia, decisions for switching cultural identity (while slightly upping base tax, by one in most cases, modded in Livonian culture for this) in said places in exchange for gold and that's it. Default national ideas also changed for better survival against The Swede (he starts war, he fuels war!), relevant only in later starts.

More relevant stuff are the two balance changes I made, in the form of provincial decisions:

1) A Western European country can send colonists to provinces with less than 5000 population to raise the population by 200. Next to no effect, but fun.

2) A Western European country with less than 16 provinces can use 100 ducats + 1 magistrate to upgrade the base tax of any province it has by 1, as long as the province has less than 5 base tax.

No map files or any other files were changed, with the exception of the finland.txt file in the country folder. All of the stuff is done by new files.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom