Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is KoToR worth playing?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's a shitty game, but the story is alright the first time if you haven't been spoiled. Playing as Sith is a hell of a lot of fun just because the game gives you a ton of chances to do extremely evil and hilarious things for no real reason other than the lulz. Also worth playing if you want to enjoy the second game, which has inferior gameplay (somehow) but a story and characters actually worth seeing.

deuxhero

Arcane
racofer said:
Absolutely not.

Fixed

Seriously, even though FILLER COMBAT I didn't really pay anything FILLER COMBAT for KotOR (Best of PC bundle was cheaper than FILLER COMBAT Outcast, which WAS a good game, on its own), I still regret FILLER COMBAT buying it.

Would you like me to continue
>Go head
Continue talking
I'll listen, but I'll phrase it with violence because I'm evilz!

The 2nd game is OK for 10 bucks though.

Turjan

Arcane
sea said:
Playing as Sith is a hell of a lot of fun just because the game gives you a ton of chances to do extremely evil and hilarious things for no real reason other than the lulz.
Eh, I don't really agree with that statement. Or you must be easily amused. Bioware-Evil is usually, as it is in this game, completely retarded and makes me think my char must have fallen head first from a balcony as a child.

Other than that, the game was a bit of fresh air with regard to SW canon when it was released. Of course, nowadays, that time period has been derped to death again.

oscar

Arcane
KoTOR II has even more broken combat than the first one and a less interesting starting area. It doesn't even really feel like a finished game. But it's more intelligently written and has better characters.

KoTOR I is sorta fun to be a chaotic evil Sith in and even has a few fights where you might actually die. But
the game acting like I was barely surviving in my first fight with Malak and Bastilla having to sacrifice herself to "save" me, when in reality I'd kicked his ass in about two turns and not taken a scratch
was :retarded:

Mannan was my favourite planet (http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=53941)

Turjan

Arcane
Excidium said:
Kotor II also has actual Jedi robes. Yes, it's important.
:D

Korriban4.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"KOTOR 2 on the other hand is great because it has a completely different feel,"

Bullshit. It has the same feel.

Anyways, the KOTORS are okay games but overrated. KOTOPR is overrated by BIO/SW fanboys and KOTOR2 is oevrrated by OBS/CODEX fanboys.

So, yeah, OBS = CODEX

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Volourn said:
"KOTOR 2 on the other hand is great because it has a completely different feel,"

Bullshit. It has the same feel.

Anyways, the KOTORS are okay games but overrated. KOTOPR is overrated by BIO/SW fanboys and KOTOR2 is oevrrated by OBS/CODEX fanboys.

So, yeah, OBS = CODEX

Sometimes I wish Volourn was a beautiful woman so I could feel less guilty for jerking off while reading his posts.

KOTOR is pretty much Baby's First RPG, KOTOR2 is Baby's First RPG Deluxe.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
oscar said:
KoTOR II has even more broken combat than the first one and a less interesting starting area

I disagree with that. I really like that starting area. Maybe it's because I'm really a SS fanatic, but I don't know man. It was well-done. The funny thing, I like the starting area of KoTOR1 too (if you mean the first planet - not the tutorial area, obviously). It was probably the best thing because you weren't a jedi yet and you weren't on a quest to gather four armies agaisnt the orcs. You were just there to survive and figure things out. Bioware even tried to make some kind of mock believable social setting with Tarant, although it came off as horribly lacking in nuance and utterly linear and silly - but I think it was one of their best efforts. You have the rich quarter, the poor quarter, the really poor quarter. Bioware usually don't put that much thought into their cities - even the supposedly great Athkatla was just a bunch of hubs and quest areas with no real background per say.

Anyway, the KoTOR2 area had a much more tight story behind it, I think. I must really just love to listen to video logs in a space ship or some shit but I think it was well done

TripJack

Hedonist
oscar said:
KoTOR II has even more broken combat than the first one and a less interesting starting area.

In what way? The combat was uninteresting and piss easy in both. The starting areas were crap in both too, but at least the one in 2 was shorter.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The big problem with KotOR II's starting area was that it was just too long. If it was say, 3/4 of the length but hit all the plot points, I'd be totally fine. There's just a bit too much backtracking and whatnot that drag it down. However, the conversation with HK-51 and the miniature mystery plot that forms when you're going through it is really cool, especially the first time.

The tutorial level and Taris in the first game, by comparison, were absolutely horrendous. Taris and its undercity felt like something that should be in a goddamn Forgotten Realms game, and contrivance of the plot points gets really silly - so we have to go through the undercity and deal with a tribe of exiles in order to get a key that will let us go into the sewers, eventually bringing us into a gang's home base, where we can kill all of them and steal their prototype podrace parts, and then go win a podrace against them even though we just killed them all and looted their base, so that we can rescue someone who breaks out without our help anyway? This shit is worse than The Phantom Menace. The complete and utter lack of disconnect between the actual objective and the places the story takes the player is shocking.

Of course, the rest of the game isn't much better. Your goal on all the other planets is to find the Star Map, right? So you've got all this shit like the Wookiee slavery, the Imperial embassy and submarine base on Manaan, etc. but why do we have to do all this shit in advance? The vast majority of plot points at that point in the game should be completely negated by the fact that you are a goddamn Jedi and have a lightsabre. Why the fuck do you have to run errands for the Rebels to get to their sub? Why not just walk past them and steal it, or cut through the door? Why do you have to do all this shit for the Wookiees to make a guard stand aside so you can use an elevator? The Krayt Dragon thing on Tattooine actually makes sense, because it's a goddamn Krayt Dragon, but then apparently "nuke it from orbit with the Ebon Hawk" never occurred to anyone. At least the Korriban Sith Academy makes sense to infiltrate, though you can kind of just hack your way through all the Sith just fine anyway, and the stupid quests you have to do to just reach the right tomb are pretty contrived. The only time the plot actually gets kind of interesting and makes some sense is when you go to the Star Forge and its planet, but by then it's too late.

I think that more than anything is the big problem in KotOR - it's written not like you're a godamn mythic Jedi knight, but like you're just some ordinary dude. Just about everything in the game should be negated or overridden by that fact, but instead the vast majority of your time is spent doing errands for NPCs and trying to get into Bastila's pants. The sequel was smart enough to acknowledge that Jedi are really damn powerful, so the plot is driven by goals (reach Goto's ship! find the lost Jedi Masters! reclaim the Ebon Hawk!) and not by "how many fetch quests do I have to do before someone lets me through a door?"

Murrow absolutely nailed it. I played through it one time and failed to see what enamors people so much about this game. It's basically the beginning of the decline; overly simplistic gameplay centered around a watered down storyline.

catfood

AGAIN
If I had to choose between playing KOTOR and playing with my dick I'd choose the later without a second thought. There's a gazillion of good games out there, most of them with a gazillion of good mods available, and you're better off playing one of those.

Kaol

Educated
To be honest i'm finding it reasonably good, not best game ever good but fun.

The character creation is better than most new rpgs but not amazing.

Combat is ok, again not amazing.

I think the whole experience so far is decent but not amazing.

Oh and theres probably more npc's in the starting area than the whole of Skyrim.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There's a gazillion of good games out there, most of them with a gazillion of good mods available
But do they have battle lesbian catgirls with a raawrrrr accent?

Just like most of Bioware games, the most (and sometimes only) fun you can get from KoTOR is by talking with your companions. Oldtimer Jolee with his "idontcareafook" attitude about Jedi and Sith, and HK47 are particularly amusing.
And Kreia from Sith Lords, ooh. I spent *hours* just standing there and clicking all the dialogue lines you can get from her.

Jora

Arcane
Shadenuat said:
If you're into Star Wars universe, then yes.
I'd say that's a reason NOT to play KotOR. It pretty much shits all over SW by changing the Force into a D&D spell system and including silly things like swords that are not lightsabers.

That said, KotOR is a good guilty pleasure type of game. I can't say if there's anything good about it, but I've finished it twice. :P

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'd say that's a reason NOT to play KotOR.
It has lightsabres in it.
You can say that watching episodes 1-3 for a reason that its Star Wars does't make much sense too, because they changed the force there from a mystic and ungraspable power to something that can be explained with a modest biology.
And, hey, D20 Star Wars is't bad by itself. It's more like how designers use it and how they paint overall "being a jedi" feeling in the game. Obsidian made it feel better, for example.

oscar

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
oscar said:
KoTOR II has even more broken combat than the first one and a less interesting starting area

I disagree with that. I really like that starting area. Maybe it's because I'm really a SS fanatic, but I don't know man. It was well-done. The funny thing, I like the starting area of KoTOR1 too (if you mean the first planet - not the tutorial area, obviously)

Yeah I appreciated what they were going for with it. And it set up a good plot tenseness and mystery (that didn't really pick up again until quite late in the game). But it was a lot more linear than Taris and had no side quests or even much real interactivity for the player. It is quite cool the first time though.

As for combat, lots of new free feats and an expanded level cap meant combat became even more of a yawn as you literally could not run out of force points even if you were a light side saber based class using Force Storm every round once you reached a certain level.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
All :obviously: Codex members are required to play it 7 times

You will probably like it if you like most Bioware games.

Turjan

Arcane
Jora said:
Shadenuat said:
If you're into Star Wars universe, then yes.
I'd say that's a reason NOT to play KotOR. It pretty much shits all over SW by changing the Force into a D&D spell system and including silly things like swords that are not lightsabers.
I see this as a positive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom