Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex - The Nameless Mod

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm a serious gamer and games are serious business

I can't take this seriously (like DA but different).

anus_pounder

Arcane
ghostdog said:
The sad thing is that without the silly setting and the inside references and humor this mod/game could have been monumental.

Take the shodan-parody level for example. It had incredible level design, very atmospheric moments and then the irritating shodan-parody appeared (based on one of their old forum members or something) and it destroyed the atmosphere.

The same thing happens with the silly humor between the llama and the goat factions.

They should have scrapped their original story idea midway, it was obvious it would hamper the end result. Especially when the level design and gameplay mechanics are superb.

Pretty much this. I still immensely enjoyed and would certainly play again, but I'm still incredibly butthurt about the setting.

anus_pounder said:
ghostdog said:
The sad thing is that without the silly setting and the inside references and humor this mod/game could have been monumental.

Take the shodan-parody level for example. It had incredible level design, very atmospheric moments and then the irritating shodan-parody appeared (based on one of their old forum members or something) and it destroyed the atmosphere.

The same thing happens with the silly humor between the llama and the goat factions.

They should have scrapped their original story idea midway, it was obvious it would hamper the end result. Especially when the level design and gameplay mechanics are superb.

Pretty much this. I still immensely enjoyed and would certainly play again, but I'm still incredibly butthurt about the setting.

I think that "serious" games are much more in danger of the community fragmenting itself over differences of opinion of how things should be made. Rabid Modder Syndrome is a very real thing, and the more serious a game is the more hostile people are to things they consider un-serious. You see other mods that try to do serious extensions or improvements on their game and every single change manages to piss off some subset of players, approaching 100% of people pissed off as time goes on.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy more serious game, just applying the anthropic principle to explain why TNM is one of the best total conversions ever while being completely lunatic.

Cassidy

Arcane
The setting is a letdown for anyone who wasn't part of Planet Deus Ex community, just like people won't laugh at inside jokes when they don't belong unless they are about something or someone that really stands out. However, the gameplay and level design more than makes up for it. For any game but Adventures and interactive fictions, those two elements matter much more than story and plot.

And of course: there are some real choices with real consequences within this silly setting. Unless you really can't stand non-serious game plots, it's highly recommended.

*Edit: Although IMO PDX being a quite bland community also has something to do with it. Imagine a Deus Ex mod built entirely over Codex lore instead and you'll understand why.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom