Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Emotional Engagement Penetrates Strategy Genre

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think that for the first time in my life I can feel true Codexian rage boiling inside me. There is a special place in hell reserved for Bioware.

:rage:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So EA decides to take the Father of the RPG series Might and Magic....... have him make a RTS...... and have this game under the guidance of The Doctors (who do nothing but make the teams know what EA's Marketing Department demands like make game Mass Accessable, no complexity, AWESOME BUTTAN etc....).

Profit?

UserNamer

Cipher
I just hope they have enough equality of gender and sexual orientation to display

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jaesun said:
So EA decides to take the Father of the RPG series Might and Magic....... have him make a RTS...... and have this game under the guidance of The Doctors (who do nothing but make the teams know what EA's Marketing Department demands like make game Mass Accessable, no complexity, AWESOME BUTTAN etc....).

Profit?

Not real time, but
Homm3boxart.jpg

hoopy said:
...when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It’s up to you to assume their roles, command their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.

Who are these terrorists anyway?

Yuri_red_alert.jpg

351472-kane2_super.jpg

"All according to plan."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I sincerely hope that Biwoard is majorly succesful in both this and SWTOR, since this would likely mean that they would leave the crpg genre almost entirely. One could then be hopeful that someone would step up to fill that niche, someone who actually has gresh ideas instead of remaking the same damn game over and over again.
Not to optimistic about it, but to be honest it's not like we would loose something if Bioware ditched crpgs for good.

True BIO is not making either C&C or KOTOR OL. It won't effect what BIO EDM does.

Anyways, why is this RPG Codex news?

Johannes

Arcane
hoopy said:
In the near future, world leaders are mere seconds from signing a global treaty and bringing an end to war as we know it...
Uh huh.

...when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It’s up to you to assume their roles, command their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.
I think the clusterfucks in Iraq and Afghanistan have already discredited the whole idea of eliminating terrorism by bombing the shit out of stuff. Who are these terrorists anyway? What are their motives (don't tell me it's just "We are against peace")? And why do they have enough resources to go up against superpowers in conventional warfare?
It's Black Cats boyfriend and his friends.

inb4 kane is a homosexual.

Sure he's not supposed to be in C&C Generals, but Bioware will at least include a cameo in some small, obscure in-game billboard of kane sucking someone off.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Volourn said:
True BIO is not making either C&C or KOTOR OL. It won't effect what BIO EDM does.

Still, major succeses would likely give Bioware reason to pursue further such ventures, something they have already stated that they would like to do.
It's would also be in step with Bioware's own history to move away from the crunchy rpgs, and to focus on the story-driven action games they seem to like.

Majestic47

Learned
In before Joe Kucan kissing the camera to reward the Commander for a job well done.

LoPan

Learned
WetWorks said:
Volourn said:

Still, major succeses would likely give Bioware reason to pursue further such ventures, something they have already stated that they would like to do.
It's would also be in step with Bioware's own history to move away from the crunchy rpgs, and to focus on the story-driven action games they seem to like.

Bioware has yet to make a game with a story of even basic quality and their action games are even worse. Their most sincere tries at an action game, Dragon Age 2 and Jade Empire, were embarrassments on their own terms let alone if you begin to compare them with proper action games, and they seem to have no concern for writing stories for games.

It seems to me likelier that Bioware is being driven in the direction chosen by the marketeers of either Bioware or EA, they go where the money is and a C&C has a marketeers-approved history of making money. Though what they do with all their money remains a mystery, I am however convinced it is shit.

Victor Dosev

Novice
Once, in another dimension, C&C used to be a good thing. Boy, Tiberian Sun. Oh boy, oh joy.

The story in this game is there to justify the title and maybe the gameplay. And it sounds bad.

Omg, there are still people who believe 9-11 was a terrorist attack. It's not about Iraqi oil, no way. Are there any "real" terrorists left nowadays? That can actually fight on par with nations' military power? What are those? Terrorists from space?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Victor Dosev said:
Are there any "real" terrorists left nowadays? That can actually fight on par with nations' military power?
Terrorists were never on par with a nations' military power, that is not the purpose of terrorism.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Victor Dosev said:
Are there any "real" terrorists left nowadays? That can actually fight on par with nations' military power? What are those? Terrorists from space?

By my estimate, Hezbollah can probably take on a Third World national army and win.
The Tamil Tigers used to be very powerful also.

Victor Dosev

Novice
"By my estimate, Hezbollah can probably take on a Third World national army and win. " - for sure, my point was about the nations (or the alliances most likely) featured in C&C:G2 fighting against "terrorists". But I failed to make that one clear, my bad.

"Terrorists were never on par with a nations' military power, that is not the purpose of terrorism." - hence my argument that a war-simulator strategy that pitches terrorists vs real armies is high unconvincing.

"WHAT?" - you played C&C3 when it came out and u didn't like it? Not at all?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LoPan said:
WetWorks said:
Volourn said:

Bioware has yet to make a game with a story of even basic quality and their action games are even worse. Their most sincere tries at an action game, Dragon Age 2 and Jade Empire, were embarrassments on their own terms let alone if you begin to compare them with proper action games, and they seem to have no concern for writing stories for games.

It seems to me likelier that Bioware is being driven in the direction chosen by the marketeers of either Bioware or EA, they go where the money is and a C&C has a marketeers-approved history of making money. Though what they do with all their money remains a mystery, I am however convinced it is shit.

Dragon Age 2 was never an action game. It plays in the same spirit as DA and the IE games, just a lot smoother. Just because they added flashy combat animations doesn't suddenly make it an action game.

Infinitron said:
Victor Dosev said:
Are there any "real" terrorists left nowadays? That can actually fight on par with nations' military power? What are those? Terrorists from space?

By my estimate, Hezbollah can probably take on a Third World national army and win.

Only reason that the IRA aren't the first thing that comes to folks' minds anymore when you say 'terrorist' is that they actually WERE successful in pissing off Britain enough to get them to the negotiating table and give North Ireland its own parliament and ability to secede if a successful referendum ever got up. They didn't get there by matching the UK for military power. Most of the time they'd even call up and give people notice to get out of whichever government building they'd set the explosives in. They got there because you can't wipe out terrorism by bombing the shit out of it - if you're going to do that, you may as well have just gotten out of there to begin with, because you're not going to be able to get any resources out of the region and it's going to bleed the fuck out of your national coffers. The terrorists (or freedom fighters, depending on whether you were pro free-Ireland or pro-unionist) didn't need to 'beat' the UK in a direct battle, or occupy any UK territory. They just needed to make it sufficiently expensive to keep Ireland, that the English would eventually go 'fuck it, it's better to give them their parliament and risk secession than to keep having to pay the cost of this war'.

Same thing with the Afghanis and the Russians - the Afghanis weren't trying to fight the Russian army, just make the cost of keeping Afghanistan outweigh the strategic benefits. And that is certainly possible without needing to match a nation's military power.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
LoPan said:
WetWorks said:
Volourn said:

You and I (and probably a lot of folks here) can probably agree on that, but that's besides the point.

Besides, it was the profit motive i was getting at, and that it is likely that Bioware will abandon crpgs to some degree or another for marketable action crpgs/MMOs or purely action games depending on their succes with SWTOR and this C&C variant.

The real question is who, if any, is gonna move in on the crpg market after Bioware goes full casual.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Azrael the cat said:
Infinitron said:
Victor Dosev said:

Only reason that the IRA aren't the first thing that comes to folks' minds anymore when you say 'terrorist' is that they actually WERE successful in pissing off Britain enough to get them to the negotiating table and give North Ireland its own parliament and ability to secede if a successful referendum ever got up. They didn't get there by matching the UK for military power. Most of the time they'd even call up and give people notice to get out of whichever government building they'd set the explosives in. They got there because you can't wipe out terrorism by bombing the shit out of it - if you're going to do that, you may as well have just gotten out of there to begin with, because you're not going to be able to get any resources out of the region and it's going to bleed the fuck out of your national coffers. The terrorists (or freedom fighters, depending on whether you were pro free-Ireland or pro-unionist) didn't need to 'beat' the UK in a direct battle, or occupy any UK territory. They just needed to make it sufficiently expensive to keep Ireland, that the English would eventually go 'fuck it, it's better to give them their parliament and risk secession than to keep having to pay the cost of this war'.

Same thing with the Afghanis and the Russians - the Afghanis weren't trying to fight the Russian army, just make the cost of keeping Afghanistan outweigh the strategic benefits. And that is certainly possible without needing to match a nation's military power.

OH LOOK somebody's been reading the War Nerd

Yes, I know all of this, but I doubt Bioware Victory want to simulate it in their C&C game. So, the two sides need to be able to plausibly match up militarily.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom