Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News South Park RPG Combat Video Feature

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The game might be targeted to people who don't like RPGs but it's turn-based, guys! Turn-based! TURN-BASED!

Seriously, turn-Based for the codex is like VISCERAL for the masses. It's turn-based, so it's awesome.

Doesn't matter that it's simplistic JRPG combat with some QTE thrown in, it's turn-based! You take turns attacking each other!

crakkie

Arcane
That Costume Quest combat looks awful but Paper Mario combat is great, with a lot more variety and decisions.

I have full faith that Obsidian will pull off Costume Quest combat.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Excidium said:
The game might be targeted to people who don't like RPGs but it's turn-based, guys! Turn-based! TURN-BASED!

Seriously, turn-Based for the codex is like VISCERAL for the masses. It's turn-based, so it's awesome.

Doesn't matter that it's simplistic JRPG combat with some QTE thrown in, it's turn-based! You take turns attacking each other!

:hmmm:

Whatever... I am just annoyed by the permabutthurt mode. Whetever's the news you can count half of the Codex will come whining to the heavens about most mundane things. It's always: 'Yes, but it still will be shit, because...'.

Man, I cannot get that so excited about computer games that I go into nerd frenzy, anymore.

:(

Halp!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
janjetina said:
I know about 10 people or so who like computer RPGs, and while a few of them are pale, none are basement dwelling, or virgins. It is ironic to be called these names by a worm-shaped neckbeard. Where does that stereotype come from anyway?
From nerds who make themselves feel better about being losers by deluding themselves that they have a monopoly for playing slightly complex games or having hobbies.

Stinger

Arcane
Probably too early in development. Skyrim's GI preview didn't have videos I don't think.

They'll probably show off gameplay vids at E3.

kaizoku

Arcane
At best I'm hoping for a fun game like plants vs zombies, but no real RPG.
But those QTEs, like in the Costume Quest game, look like real cock blockers.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
VD made a good point earlier, that the game is unlikely to feature some of the things that Obsidian does well.

Still, I'm looking forward to this for the simple reason that I like South Park and still, it's not some obscure company that does this.

If the story and lulz are good and the mechanics are not total shit, I'll buy this, if only to support obsidian.

Shannow

Waster of Time
These:
attackfighter said:
Good to know I don't have to be a pale basement virgin to understand this game. One of the greatest criticisms of previous Obsidian games is that you had to be pale basement virgins to understand them. Keep up the good work, Abraham Lincoln!

:thumbsup:
janjetina said:
I know about 10 people or so who like computer RPGs, and while a few of them are pale, none are basement dwelling, or virgins. It is ironic to be called these names by a worm-shaped neckbeard.
Vault Dweller said:
Mrowak said:
I don't get the butthurt. The game sounds really promissing. Turn based combat? Upgradeable items? Secrest bosses requring from you strategy of sorts?
They are targeting "people who's never played an RPG before". That's all you need to know about the game.

Turn-based combat is a welcome feature, but not the console style. Upgradeable items? A lot of games have them and most get it wrong. Tinkering with your lightsaber in KOTOR 2 or making custom guns in AP was NOT loads of fun and had little affect on the game. Secret bosses requiring strategies? A common claim.

In my opinion, the target audience is the first or foremost indicator of a game's design and depth. When someone says the magic words - "we want to make the game equally appealing to both hardcore and casual crowd", "we want to make the game more welcoming", "we don't want to make the game just for the RPG nuts", you KNOW that you aint getting an RPG. You're getting a dumbed down action game with stats, because that's the only type of games that will appeal to people who aren't into RPGs and never played one before (i.e. zero interest in RPGs).
Excidium said:

The only thing I liked was that equipment is supposed to last some time. I hate the "phat lewt instant gratification" mechanic.
Still not optimistic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Obsidian hasn't been Obsidian for a decade. People need to realize this.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Turn-based combat doesn't say much to me. It can be shit. I mean I love Gothic, and that's action based.
And they went for the paper mario style combat with the unnecessary timed button pressings and shit.
It can prove to be totally boring and non strategical.

Upgradable weapons and scarce loot? That does sound promising though.
I'm fucking sick of games nowadays giving you constant loot wherever you go.
Skyrim is a perfect example.

What I really want to see is how the exploration is going to be handled, and how detailed it's going to be.
If they do that right, I might have to get this game.
But not to play as an RPG mind you. More because I can't miss a game where I get to explore South Park, if it's handled well.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Metro said:
Actually Obsidian has always been Obsidian. It has never been Troika or even BIS, that is what people need to realize...
In b4 Ironically Ignorant: "No, no, no! In my imaginary world..."

made

Arcane
Excidium said:
turn-based, guys! Turn-based! TURN-BASED!!
That's what counts. Also, character skill over player skill. You know, like Dungeon Siege.

kris

Arcane
IronicNeurotic said:
First of all half the codex pretty much ARE pale basement virgins.

This description doesn't reall apply to anyone on the codex of which I know anything about. Apart from possibly Volly. Many Scandinavians might be pale though.

Radisshu

Prophet
I live in an apartment and got laid like yesterday. But I am pale, so your are 1/3 right.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Shannow said:
Metro said:
Actually Obsidian has always been Obsidian. It has never been Troika or even BIS, that is what people need to realize...

That depends on how you define a company. It IS a fact that the majority of the big people from Post Fallout Black Isle ARE or WERE at Obsidian.

Also theres really not much difference between these two companies. (Except they were allowed to make (at least) RTWP rpgs)

Because let's be honest.

Fallout 2
Planescape Torment
Icewind Dale Series

ALL of those games were incredibly flawed too.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
kris said:
IronicNeurotic said:

This description doesn't reall apply to anyone on the codex of which I know anything about. Apart from possibly Volly. Many Scandinavians might be pale though.

Ok

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
IronicNeurotic said:
Shannow said:
Metro said:

That depends on how you define a company. It IS a fact that the majority of the big people from Post Fallout Black Isle ARE or WERE at Obsidian.

Also theres really not much difference between these two companies. (Except they were allowed to make (at least) RTWP rpgs)

Because let's be honest.

Fallout 2
Planescape Torment
Icewind Dale Series

ALL of those games were incredibly flawed too.
Not in Shannow's imaginary world.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
kris said:
IronicNeurotic said:

It seems that a lot of Codexers is suffering from the Black Cat Syndrome, though :) .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom