Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THQI Becomes a Penny Stock

Still trying to wrap my head around why they went from RF:Guerilla to a linear underground game again. 'Destroyed the terraforming machines', fuck you. I went through too much shit freeing Mars just so some terrorist can ruin it all 50 years later. Should have left the EDF in charge, bet they would have shot him and his flunkies before they got within a mile of the thing.

Edit: Then found his hometown and every settlement within a few miles of it and railgun'd them from orbit.

Cassidy

Arcane
commie said:
make a Freespace game somewhere else.

There is no cover in Space and the voidness of outer space isn't a very "IMMERSIVE" environment for 15 min. long cutscenes. I'm thankful for how the Space Sim genre "died" peacefully like Adventures did because if there was one way to make a horrible dumbed down piece of shit for retards pretending to be a Space Sim while being nothing but a bunch of cutscenes with bouts of popamole and QTE in-between, they'd already have done it.

As for the quote itself. I have much more hope in fs2open user-made missions and campaigns, because they are done by hobbyists who don't care about maximum profit at the expense of quality and abandoning their roots, and even if some may suck, there will be gems here and there. Volition has abandoned the Space "Sim" genre for more than a decade now because it is no longer profitable enough for them.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Does this mean Obsidian's future lies with a sinking boat?

Obsidian is a sinking boat

From making games based on long established franchises to low grade trash and South Park (R00fles!)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Okay, so Obsidian is a sinking boat on top of swimming pool on top of a ship of THQ which is also sinking.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
bonescraper said:
commie said:
Like someone else mentioned, there's Volition too. Maybe free from the THQ yoke that had them churn out Red Faction games that no-one bought, they will be able to make a Freespace game somewhere else. Almost everyone that worked on Freespace is still at Volition and costs for a game like this wouldn't be high(certainly less than Red Faction). Activision has the pockets to throw a few shekels their way to give it a go.
Oh, you're right. It's like the golden age of gaming again. Old, great franchises like Fallout, X-Com, Syndicate and Thief are resurrected. But only because of those slimy bastards at THQ we won't see another instance of your beloved, bestselling franchise. Violition should leave them for Activision, because Activision always cares for old-school gamers. That's why we get a new Call of Duty every year. After all, this franchise is almost 10 years old! Shit's nearly as old school as Pac-Man.

Oh you! All I meant was that it couldn't be any worse elsewhere than making Red Fucktion crap over and over or the same Warhammer stuff. I'd rather THQ fuck off and die since they clearly have no vision to try and eke out a particular unique area for themselves and instead are hell bent on competing with EA and Activision at their own game which they aren't equipped to do. Activision has it's mega stars already so why not have Volition and Relic on board to do their 'niche' products? At the very least things would stay the same, but a change of scenery might actually do them good.

Cassidy said:
commie said:
make a Freespace game somewhere else.

There is no cover in Space and the voidness of outer space isn't a very "IMMERSIVE" environment for 15 min. long cutscenes. I'm thankful for how the Space Sim genre "died" peacefully like Adventures did because if there was one way to make a horrible dumbed down piece of shit for retards pretending to be a Space Sim while being nothing but a bunch of cutscenes with bouts of popamole and QTE in-between, they'd already have done it.

As for the quote itself. I have much more hope in fs2open user-made missions and campaigns, because they are done by hobbyists who don't care about maximum profit at the expense of quality and abandoning their roots, and even if some may suck, there will be gems here and there. Volition has abandoned the Space "Sim" genre for more than a decade now because it is no longer profitable enough for them.

I don't buy it. There's the X series for starters. Egosoft is doing well for themselves catering to the niche space sim crowd. It isn't full of cutscenes or QTE. The thing is the games are pretty banal shit boring yet people lap them up in their desperation. Volition KNEW and still knows how to make a good space sim(since everyone is still there) and a '3space(tm)' game would shit all over X in the pure gameplay element. There will always be enough people to buy a space sim game to make it worthwhile as so long you don't try and fill it with Ass Effect inspired cutscenes every five minutes, the actual production costs can't be very high. Thing is, Freespace came out during an era where the FMV cutscene was still popular as in Wing Commander yet they went minimalistic from the start. I doubt that Volition have forgotten that.

I've read often that they would like to do another Freespace game and have said that no-one has joysticks anymore as a lament against doing so, but I think that's just paper talk. They don't make a Freespace because they aren't paid to make one by their masters. As if it's that hard to implement mouse controls as secondary controls if need be. It's not like they made 'maximum profit' with the Red Faction games either as evidenced by THQ 'retiring' the brand. Funny thing is they would have made more money with a cheap Freespace game than Red Faction.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mangoose said:
5K6VV.jpg

Shares of THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQ), a worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software for all game systems, are sinking in today’s trading after the company slashed its holiday quarter outlook due to lower-than-anticipated sales of uDraw Game Tablet.

THQ shares fell to a new 52-week low of $0.93 in today’s trading, down 36.29% over the previous closing session. At last check, the stock was down 36.95% to $0.921, with volume up from daily average of 1.43 million to 13.13 million.

THQ shares fell after the company said that initial sales of its iDraw Game Tablet and software for use with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles have been weaker-than-anticipated.

For the third quarter ending December 31, THQ now expects its revenue to be 25% lower than its previous outlook of $510-$550 million. Third-quarter revenue is now expected to come in between $382.5 million and $412.5 million, which is well below analysts’ estimate of $523.8 million.
http://investorsoup.com/2011/12/thq-sha ... s-outlook/

Don't worry, I'm sure more $10 DLC and the South Park RPG will save everything!

Edit:
RlrCA.jpg
http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/thqi

Dropped to 0.75

made

Arcane
So guise should I buy now and then sell for mad profits when the South Park RPG comes out?

abstract

Scholar
Cassidy said:

oh hey I see you played Starlancer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom