Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2: BitTorrent Collector's Edition now only $1230

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Atheist said:
Zarniwoop said:
Dantus12 said:
But piracy is theft,

And littering is child molestation. Yep, it's fun to make shit up. Calling one crime something else is a great passtime.

not this shit again
Agreed. Let's focus on hating them for being enemies of justice and equality and bribing politicians so that innocent children would get worse treatment than them.

hiver

J_C said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I don't think I'll buy any CD-Project game again.
Good idea. Less sales mean they might go bankrupt. We don't need good RPG developers anyway, when we have Bioware.
What... you think Cdproject is a good RPG developer? hahaa... are you completely retarded on turpentine?

And you think they removed DRM because they care about their customers? For fuck sake...
They removed it (only in some cases) 1. because they cannot make their own engine work with it without ending up in a pile of shit effects 2. because it doesnt stop piracy and they actually pay for it through deals with publishers

And you think they do it because they care about you? For fuck sake. They are a company. A soulless entity who cares only for profit and specific business behaviour, not for some fucking humans!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
hiver said:
J_C said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I don't think I'll buy any CD-Project game again.
Good idea. Less sales mean they might go bankrupt. We don't need good RPG developers anyway, when we have Bioware.
What... you think Cdproject is a good RPG developer? hahaa... are you completely retarded on turpentine?

And you think they removed DRM because they care about their customers? For fuck sake...
They removed it (only in some cases) 1. because they cannot make their own engine work with it without ending up in a pile of shit effects 2. because it doesnt stop piracy and they actually pay for it through deals with publishers

And you think they do it because they care about you? For fuck sake. They are a company. A soulless entity who cares only for profit and specific business behaviour, not for some fucking humans!
You are retarted.

Read my comment again. I haven't said that they removed DRM because they care about the customers. I also haven't said, that they care about me. I just said that they make good, DRM free games.

End of line.

Why does this cause so much butthurt... The typical rationalization that the game has too much DRM anyways so the pirates are probably just wanting a drm free game anyways doesn't apply here.

You have successfully removed hiver from your ignore list.

What is the point in an ignore list if you read the posts anyways

Well here's another ideological enemy for you.

I'm betting that at least 95% (low ball estimate) of the people given these letters are more than guilty and deserve everything that's coming for them. They are parasites on the system, enjoying the fruits of IP investments while refusing to pay for it. They are the reason for the dearth in singleplayer RPG's, and the reason for the rise of facebook games and microtransaction games and of course MMORPG's. They should be treated like all lawbreakers, with fines adjusted to the severity of the broken law and the chance of getting caught, to maximize the risk in breaking the law. The only thing to regret here is that the catching of pirates is not efficient enough.

Nope

Liturgist
After hearing their CEO talk on technical aspects I regret giving him money.
"5 million pirated copies" which turned out to be utter horseshit from the get-go and then to come out with a really dumb claim like "100% accurate pirate finding methods that everyone in the industry uses yet we have to keep it a secret."
He reminds me of those people who want tech support yet insist he knows what's wrong.

It's basic litigation trolling in hopes of getting dumbasses to pay out the lump sums they demand.
It's the exact same thing the MPAA and RIAA's "pirate hunting" organizations did.
Their "accurate methods" turned up dead people and 90 year olds who've never had an internet connection in their life as pirates.
They probably hired one of them since I doubt CD Projekt is handling it themselves over in another country.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
herostratus said:
They should be treated like all lawbreakers, with fines adjusted to the severity of the broken law and the chance of getting caught, to maximize the risk in breaking the law.
:firstworld:

Lyesmith

Liturgist
herostratus said:
I'm betting that at least 95% (low ball estimate) of the people given these letters are more than guilty and deserve everything that's coming for them. They are parasites on the system, enjoying the fruits of IP investments while refusing to pay for it. They are the reason for the dearth in singleplayer RPG's, and the reason for the rise of facebook games and microtransaction games and of course MMORPG's. They should be treated like all lawbreakers, with fines adjusted to the severity of the broken law and the chance of getting caught, to maximize the risk in breaking the law. The only thing to regret here is that the catching of pirates is not efficient enough.

Don't make it so seriously, because some poor soul may actually believe it.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
herostratus said:
They are the reason for the dearth in singleplayer RPG's

I said it elsewhere, and I'll repeat it: if piracy was defeated 100%, we would definitely see a rise in the niche market, but companies wouldn't backpedal completely. They would still use trite formulas that adapt well to all platforms to sell as much as possible. At least 80% of all AAA RPGs would still be multiplatform RPGs. Even with fat revenues from 0% piracy, a PC exclusive RPG that was also complex would still be the slowest source of profit.

Just look at the first half of the 2000s. Piracy was already there, but the intarnets were still used by fewer people and connections were relatively slow. Yet a lot of games declined by flinging themselves on consoles (Thief 3, Invisible War). So... :M

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
herostratus said:
Well here's another ideological enemy for you.

And I should get 2000000 PLN for my father abandoning me and 12000 PLN each month he didn't pay alimony and 1000000 PLN for each time he tried to hide his incomes.

Information

You have successfully added herostratus to your ignore list.

Return to the post

Joe Krow

Erudite
Why should a pirate pay more then sticker price for the game he steals? Because it's a crime? Last time I looked it was law enforcement that prosecuted crimes not cooperations. Can a store charge a shop lifter a penalty (beyond the price of goods taken) for the stolen goods? The shopkeeper can call the police, and that may result in a fine from the state, but the cash fine would never be given to the shopkeeper.

Regardless, does the coperation have hard data about how many "copies" (wholly or as aggregated) of the game were actually taken/shared? If not, the amount of cash demanded is speculation. How does that hold up in court? And if so, if cooperationon can get enough info to show the actual harm, why is information about our internet usage being given to private companies? Seems like that would be the better lawsuit. I can see giving to law enforcement (with a supena, of course) but corperations should have no fucking clue what we do on the internet.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
great great. this will give a great boast to the open source movement.

And I should get 2000000 PLN for my father abandoning me and 12000 PLN each month he didn't pay alimony and 1000000 PLN for each time he tried to hide his incomes.

derp, not analogous situation. That said being given a fine for not paying child support is fair.

Why should a pirate pay more then sticker price for the game he steals?

When someone in your country doesn't pay for the train fare, and is caught, does he pay more than the one-ride ticket price?

Can a store charge a shop lifter a penalty (beyond the price of goods taken) for the stolen goods?

These are civil suits. Anyone can file a civil suit.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It's a win win situation.

A company that makes terrible games destroys its reputation and costs itself many future sales.

And people with terrible taste in games also suffer.

The only way it could get better is if the lawyers also somehow got cancer.

Cassidy

Arcane
If a game sucks too much to be worth its price, why will it become less shit if you get it for free? Also, technically, if you buy a game legitly and then cracks its ridiculously bad and abusive DRM you could still get sued anyway and are equally breaking the shitty law that treats a consumer product as something the consumer isn't an owner of.

Also lol at the ignorant corporate parroting sheeple blaming piracy for the decline rather than the idiots who will open their wallets for horse armor DLC and the shit game it applies to

As for the fines, it's just another show of why people who bought Skyrim but will pirate Age of Decadence are still one level below in their degree of douchebagness compared to corporate lawyers.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Did your father abandon you recently? If so I don't blame him.

Gord

Arcane
Joe Krow said:
Last time I looked it was law enforcement that prosecuted crimes not corporations.

This is the big problem behind it, imho.
Sadly this form of legalized Frontier justice/vigilantism is becoming more and more prevalent in our societies.
Go lobbying!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jedi_Learner said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Did your father abandon you recently? If so I don't blame him.
No, it was just after I was born. He found himself another woman (or ten).

hiver

herostratus said:
Youre a god damn asshole and a dumbfuck.

Enjoy your superb games where you have no fucking idea what you will actually play before you give your money for it you retarded cunt. Enjoy companies that outright lie about features of their games and you have no idea and no way to check is that really true before you pay for the game - and then you can go fuck yourself.

Read my comment again. I haven't said that they removed DRM because they care about the customers. I also haven't said, that they care about me. I just said that they make good, DRM free games.
I didnt say you said it moron! go fuck yourself and eat shit you fukteard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom