Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Popular Rpgs that you tried but never was able to finish?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Skyrim: boring piece of shit
Witcher 2: boring piece of shit

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Dragon Age: origins. Piece of shit, played through the tutorial/origin and that first city and it's quests. Uninstalled and haven't looked back since.

Alpha Protocol: Too motherfucking buggy.

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Deus Ex: I tried it probably four times. I got to the submarine base twice and to Hong Kong the other times. Then I lost my savegames to hard drive crashes and other deus ex machina events.

Arcanum: I rolled a thief type and got into the first cave. I ended up hitting myself with my fists what felt like every second attack. Being bad at combat was something I could live with but that seemed so :retarded: I ragequit.

Teepo

Scholar
Never finished TOEE but got to the point where I was certain I could conquer the game.

My saves kept on getting corrupted so I kept restarting. But I started getting smart with my saves and effectively avoiding them. This last group was evil. I forget the team composition. I think it was a sorcerer, a fighter, a barbarian, a druid. Or maybe I was chaotic good. Don't remember. Either way, the second town Nug was slightly challenging with the bar fight\ambush and the nearby grove area having that nasty sea hag. After scraping by there I started into the main tower at level 8 or 7. Killed the "possessed" bitch. Don't care if she was really possessed or not. She deserved to die. Very dangerous. The next room with that wizard was dangerous as well. Barely defeated him after a few tries due to his spells making him untouchable. Ventured into the temple a bit more. Defeated a random encounter versus 16 giants. :smug:

That was around the point that I started playing other games, though I was finding the temple to be quite compelling and dangerous and my party equally adept.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
A long time ago:
Eye of the Beholder - flight simulators at the time had more intuitive keyboard interface than that game, and RT combat was extremely clumsy
Icewind Dale 2 - wanted D&D based RPG, found generic hack and slash that couldn't hold my interest
Oblivion - I knew nothing about it and my idea of RPG at the time was Fallout. Played it for an hour because I heard it had good graphics and I wanted to test my then new PC. After an hour of utter boredom and witnessing abysmal dialogue, I quit with disgust and confusion.
Morrowind - Hiking simulators are just not my type of games

Recently (during the last few years):
Ultima IV - got bored after a few hours
Ultima VII - Abandoned it after the first random combat encounter, combat was bad and the game itself didn't draw me in. All in all, it seems to me that Ultima series hasn't aged well.
Wizardry 8 - got pretty far in W8 abandoned it due to selling an old PC and buying a new one

Non-RPGs labeled as RPGs:

Deus Ex - started it, wasn't impressed, got bored, reinstalled System Shock 2
The Witcher - I wasn't able to stand horrible combat for too long. Tried it twice, abandoned it both times in late act 2.
Mass Effect - Couldn't withstand being exposed to popamole and dialogue wheel for more than a few hours.
Alpha Protocol - Like Mass Effect, only worse (add hacking to the list of complaints)

From my mistakes I have slowly learned not to try playing popamole, QTE games, and other boring action-adventures so I skipped ME 2, DA 2, Witcher 2, DS 3 and Oblivion with Guns.

It seems to me that as years go by very few games manage to entertain me enough to finish them (or even to start them). It partially has to do with the fact that I can't play them for hours without interruption as I was able to when I was younger.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
good little toastboy said:
Deus Ex: I tried it probably four times. I got to the submarine base twice and to Hong Kong the other times. Then I lost my savegames to hard drive crashes and other deus ex machina events.
You should probably ask around for a savegame from around that point. It's worth finishing once on its own, and once to mess with the game engine (saving Paul, Killing NPC's early)

Arcanum: I rolled a thief type and got into the first cave. I ended up hitting myself with my fists what felt like every second attack. Being bad at combat was something I could live with but that seemed so :retarded: I ragequit.
The first time I played this, I did the same thing. Think I tried to balance between magic, tech, and combat. Worked out as well as one would expect. I just ran around and hit random encounters to get 5 levels, (really didn't take that long) then went back. Sucks, but better than giving up after 20 hours. You'll be happy to know there is no other dungeon like that. When playing through the second time, it's almost as if I created my char around nothing but that dungeon...

Renegen

Arcane
There's a phenomenon that I call "torrented game syndrome" which makes us have a lower interest and patience for games we get for free. By contrast, we are emotionally and financially invested in games that we buy and we usually persevere and look past its flaws. I think it's something to keep in mind the next time you put in 80 hours in Skyrim and then look past a great historic RPG because of a few flaws.

The same is true obviously for people that pre-order games. Once they've pre-ordered the game, prepare to see them passionately defend the game they've never played, and also ignore other competing RPGs that may come out in the meantime.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Renegen said:
There's a phenomenon that I call "torrented game syndrome" which makes us have a lower interest and patience for games we get for free. By contrast, we are emotionally and financially invested in games that we buy and we usually persevere and look past its flaws. I think it's something to keep in mind the next time you put in 80 hours in Skyrim and then look past a great historic RPG because of a few flaws.

The same is true obviously for people that pre-order games. Once they've pre-ordered the game, prepare to see them passionately defend the game they've never played, and also ignore other competing RPGs that may come out in the meantime.
Weird stuff. I never had anything like that happen to me.

Renegen

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Didn't most codexers torrent Skyrim, though?

I assumed a substantial part bought it, the marketing was probably so strong it weighed heavy on the conscience.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Torrenting a game that you might play for 100 hours or more is poor form. Even for the Codex.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I tend to finish most of the games that I start, but there are a few that I've never completed:

* Morrowind: despite how much I genuinely enjoy the setting and the lore, I usually get bored with the character system and the combat long before I can make it to Red Mountain. The one time I got close to completion was interrupted by a move that resulted in a destroyed computer.

* Arx Fatalis: I've come close a couple of times, but I always seem to bug the game out and make it unfinishable. Just frustrating, really.

* Jagged Alliance 2: Had a few saves get corrupted, which is always annoying, but more often than not life just gets in the way and I always want to start over again when I return to the game.

Dragon Age: Origins: I've tried. Really I have. I've always been able to enjoy the Baldur's Gate games, so this one should be kind of a shoe-in for me...but it's been sitting on my hard-drive for a couple of years now. Just absolutely can't make myself finish this reprehensible turd.

Renegen

Arcane
I got Sacrifice free with my graphics card, played it once and gave up. There were others. The only one I remember finishing (and then some) was Mechwarrior 2. I also distinctly remember that those games didn't come in fancy boxes, but just cd flaps, guess it was easy to lose them. Maybe they sit somewhere in between.

Severian Silk

I never got far in Deus Ex. I don't like the setting and am not a big fan of FPSs.

I am also lacking motivation to complete The Witcher mainly due to the crappy combat.

I also tried playing FFIX but lost interest after about 20 mins.

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
Hey, interesting topic :salute: .

Up until a couple of years ago, I finished 9 out of the 10 games I started. The general cultural ADD has finally caught up with me and I am less thourough these days... but anyway, on topic.

Ultima Underworld 2: Got near the end, found a game-stopping bug (no, not Nana and the strike not ending, that's not near the end anyway). Still intend to retry some day, even got the game from GoG a couple of days ago (I can't even remember where my original box or the Ultimate RPG collection that included the UUs are) for that purpose.

Fallout 2: Have started over half a dozen times and got pretty far in, but I always get distracted by something else. It never managed to grab me the way the first game did, but I'll probably retry it too in the near future.

NWN SoU: Same as Fallout 2, after suffering through the OC, I didn't have the will to go on with the expansion, even though it seemed somewhat more interesting. Maybe I'll come back to it someday, if I'm really bored, or (more likely) on holiday with a laptop that can't handle anything more demanding.

Eye of the Beholder 2: Ok, I admit it, I'm a newfag that gets frustrated at blobbers without automap :oops: .

Devil Whiskey: I'm a newfag that gets frustrated at blobbers without paning when the party turns, too

:oops: .

Hard to be a God: Ok, this is supposed to be about popular RPGs, and this isn't one (Devil Whiskey isn't either, come to think of it), but bear with me. Got about 70% in, and my saves got fucked up (all of a sudden, the game started sorting them alphabetically, instead of chronologically) and I gave up in disgust.

Morrowind: Have nearly two hundred hours of running around the damn place, but never got more than halfway through the main quest. Someday, I'll load it up again, ignore the side stuff and finish it... someday.

Dark Earth: This isn't an RPG even in the loosest definition of the concept, but it is a very good and sadly overlooked action adventure published by Microprose in the late 90s. Got near the end, needed to open a grate to enter some tunnels/sewer system, and couldn't find any way to do it. That was before easy internet access, so I gave up with the intention of coming back later, and never did... no way my saves survived after all these years, so I'll have to start over if I ever go back to it. Perhaps if it isn't already there, I could LP it for the greater glory of the Codex Playground.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula
The Amiga version (and I think the DOS version too) is rather buggy. The Gorzek didn't respond when hailing it after bringing back The Most Valuable Thing and ending the Tandelou civil war, so I destroyed it. I didn't think it would matter anyway, because for som reason (another bug, I guess) I could get all the relevant information when using the Playback option.
Now I can't complete the game since the Gorzek turns out to be one half of the super weapon needed to kill the UHL.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Arcanum - tried twice, seemed like an unfinished pos :D I might finish it in order to get some Kodex Kredits
Elder Scrolls - got bored with each of them, though I return to Daggerfall frequently to beat a dungeon or two
Fallout 3 - got bored after I've found that no mod can make this game enjoyable for me
New Vegas - took a break after 30-40 hours of playing, though I plan to finish this one
Neverwinter Nights 1 - played the demo and the derp was so strong that I didn't even bother with torrenting the full game
Neverwinter Nights 2 - banal piece of shit (didn't play MOTB, though I have it on my list of games to play)
Witcher 1 - story was so so, but clickfest fights bored me quickly
Witcher 2 - got bored in the first act, will probably finish it at some point
Knights of the Chalice - didn't manage to finish the game after it got easy in the end
Gold Box - the interface is killing me

To add to the insult, I've finished ME and ME 2 :D

Stabwound

Arcane
I think I'm about to add another one:

Baldur's Gate 2

High level AD&D is not fun, especially the clusterfuck that we get in Infinity Engine fights with mages.

I've had this game going for over a year BG1/BG2 and the mages casting buttfuck spells on turn one makes it annoying as all hell.

Codexlurker

Savant
Gothic 3
Got halfway through the game just to have my saves get corrupted.
Diablo 1
Never played though it completely.
Daggerfall
Noticed that all the time I spent in its dungeons were eating away a ton of time, so I quit.
Arena
Just stopped playing.

Xi

Arcane
If I don't finish a game i's because I've lost the save files. Sometimes I don't go back to a game for a long time, and mustering up the will to restart is harsh when the saves are missing. Other than that, have finished most games I play.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Mister Arkham said:
Dragon Age: Origins: I've tried. Really I have. I've always been able to enjoy the Baldur's Gate games, so this one should be kind of a shoe-in for me...but it's been sitting on my hard-drive for a couple of years now. Just absolutely can't make myself finish this reprehensible turd.
I did. I forced myself to finish this game. Just don't. Let it go, and you have won. Don't finish it, nothing worth seeing. Another erotic scene with Morgana (or that gay elf if that floats your boat) at the end? YouTube it. The game actually gets worse at the end, not better. Everything you don't like about the game x3: that's the last 33%.

MMXI

Arcane
Daemongar said:
I did. I forced myself to finish this game. Just don't. Let it go, and you have won. Don't finish it, nothing worth seeing. Another erotic scene with Morgana (or that gay elf if that floats your boat) at the end? YouTube it. The game actually gets worse at the end, not better. Everything you don't like about the game x3: that's the last 33%.
The romance/sex scenes in Dragon Age: Origins didn't even make my cock twitch. As the game has no redeeming features... I agree with you. Don't bother with it, people. It's a waste of time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because tactical party-based RPGs are released every Sunday. </codex>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom