Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Once more into the breach! (EU3 MP thread)

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Yeah how about I introduce my Greater Romania Mod, where I get to start with all 40 provinces and with historical starting techs set at 1823 levels.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Bro I don't know what bungalow you studied political science in, but the Eastern Roman Empire wasn't formed until at least 1400, by today's calendar estimates. You're better off sticking with default MMP settings and reversing the roles.

Yeah, mods are a pain in the ass to get coordinated, especially since we're going to have players popping up, subbing, reinstalling, etc. Fully patched DW is just easier, and MP balances itself.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Of course it could be installed in the mod folder, but it's rather small so I didn't bother going through that. Literally the only two files to be replaced is the finland.txt in the common/countries and eventmodifiers.txt in common, the rest are just new files.

Anyway, assuming the schedule works for me I guess I'll roll Sweden or something if you guys feel you need a more skilled Sweden.

Though could we use this sweet flag I made for Scandinavia?

You could get Venice if you don't rely on your skills. Your main holding is a island in the Adriatic, and you got a fuckhueg fleet, which means nobody but Great Powers have the capability to assault your city and fight your 80 galleys in the freakin' Adriatic.

Your nation is pretty good at trade, and you can get a decent army up and running with some effort. Your main enemies are the Austrians, Hungarians, Ottomans and Genovese, and to reach you, they must go though the fleet.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd not rather get involved down there, rather busy. And with Venice I would be out of the royal marriage game. Even with Sweden the formation of Scandinavia will put me uncomfortably close to big power games.

EDIT: Anyway, I removed the use of Livonian culture to minimize the number of altered files to two, in case we would try using my little mod.

And in case someone misunderstood and thought I made something akin to that Romania thing there, not at all. First of all, no map alteration has been done, so release would have to happen in the first place. Secondly, the base tax decision is there to do two things gameplay-wise: Make it possible to defend against Sweden or Novgorod and build up something (and it doesn't raise the force limit higher than what Sweden and crew have). The only decision that adds territory is what I made to further enable fighting back is one that adds Karelia and Kexholm, which gives a more defensible position and is factored into the base tax decision. The rest is missions, and decisions you can do AFTER missions to slightly improve things there (the basis here is that the areas wouldn't be treated as peripheral backwaters). The rest of the stuff is mostly just names for monarchs, leaders and ships.

Seems interesting, specially the base tax boost for small nations, which seems like a nice little thing for nations full of cash and nothing to do.
Still, I think it can only be applied if we get somebody to comb over the txt files. I'm not letting a potential cheat slip past.

BTW, if I was one of the modificari, I would make somekind of mod focused on upgrading small, unfocused places with more decisions, events and general fun stuff. Think nations like Granada, potential rebels like Finland, Galicia and Wales, and general non-european nations.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I realise that 90% of people drawn to Paradox games are the ultra-nationalists who finally found a game in which they could enact their wet dreams of their motherland conquering the world, but if you're going to play some niche country that has no bearing on what the major powers do, why bother playing? You'd be just an extra load on the host's CPU and your mod will just cause extra risk of synch issues.

Anyway, EU3 is imbalanced by nature. If you want to play a game in which you're on equal terms with every other player, there's the Alternate Universe from HoI2: Armageddon. Never liked that one, though.

Yeah, this is one of those times where I have to say "you know, France was pretty OP historically, right?" In the experience we've had so far, when one guy starts getting to uberpowerful status, you'll find a coalition of medium powers ready to tear him down in a second. I would really prefer either a vanilla or VERY lightly modded game, simply because of how much of a pain in the ass it is to get the game started in the first place.

As for time, maybe we should start hashing that out now. I'm pretty flexible, but I'd imagine somewhere around 8pm GMT may be the easiest to organize across timezones... that sound about right?

Vaarna_Aarne

It is very lightly modded, since it for the most part only modifies .txt files. Now even more so that I removed the use of Livonian culture in a decision and replaced it with Estonian, so cultures.txt is untouched. Only two files are replaced, being the Hackapells decision modifier for Finland (+20% Discipline, -10% cavalry cost) and the finland.txt file for names and stuff.

And actually in my latest playtest with my Finland stuff I wouldn't have gone conquering the world IF I wouldn't have gotten super-lucky and found Novgorod completely without allies being assraped by Muscovy, which allowed me to set up taking their Novgorod province itself later at my own leisure. Following that I spent a hundred years preparing for invading Muscovy with Austria. A series of lucky turns really. And I do think I'd be able to do it again and much better if a Potato player or something helped me out.

Anyway, as far as timezones go, Sunday is a no-go for me due to my regular CthulhuTech session AND Codex Movie Night. Unless the session is by daytime or something. GMT+2 here.

Think after Christmas is the target date at some point. More input on the time would be nice, as well as to frequency of play (try for 2 sessions a week?) I'd also prefer getting the countries sorted out before-hand so it's less of a clusterfuck when we're trying to start up the game. Also, a designated host and sub-host. So volunteer, bitches!

Renegen

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
So are we doing this or not?

Yes we are, it's just that the guy who started the threads needs to start planning and guiding us around like the unruly children that we are.

I also see that our glorious Spaghetti overlord has decided to have a free-for-all call to select a country. I think some gentlemen rules would produce an overall more positive experience.

So what version of the game would we be playing? All these expansions make it quite annoying.
I have one question any way, as I understand it the Steam version of the game is not capable of playing mulitplayer with the regular version due to different checksums, correct? If so is there a work around, or would one be forced to pirate a non DRM version and set up for multi player.

Any way if I join I would like any of Sweden/Austria/Bohemia/Burgundy

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok then, I'll try Ottoman Empire or Castille/England. Whatever is free and necessary for balance of power.

Yeah, let's get some gentlemen rules out of the way. I'll compile a list when I'm drunk tonight and proofread it tomorrow. The biggest thing we need to establish is a host, so if anyone is able to do that, that would be great. Also some general sub rules and whatnot. Plus, I think it was Mal who was uploading the stats last time... if we could get that done again, that'd be great.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
root said:
I call dibs on byzantium!

and yes there's a workaround for steam versions, you just download the patch from pdox and install it directly on the folder instead of letting steam update it for you. it will then display the correct checksum...if you don't use steam to play it.

Is that a joke? On the speed setting we usually played (2 or max 3 lines of speed) Byzantium is going to be incredibly boring. Its also rather hard... Better play OE, it is also more important for the balance of power.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom