Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Attention, Playground: Vita can take screenshots

KalosKagathos

Learned
Apparently it doesn't apply to emulated PSP games, but you can take a screenshot of any Vita game whenever you want. As PSP got HUGE in its final years in Japan, it is not unreasonable to expect plenty of great titles to be released on the new system, RPGs included. With the screenshot taking functionality, you'll be able to share the love with those weirdos who insist on sticking to PC gaming exclusively, no matter how many fantastic games they end up missing as a result, and you won't need to wait for an emulator to do so. Good times ahead!

Satan

Educated
Thanks for the important news.

In the meantime 430 people in Philippines dies due to the flood, Russki oil rig sinks taking with it 50 people and US withdraws it's troops from Iraq.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Satan said:

In the meantime 430 people in Philippines dies due to the flood, Russki oil rig sinks taking with it 50 people and US withdraws it's troops from Iraq.

Well to be fair: If we had known about this Vita thing before, most of these incidents could have been prevented.

The last portable gaming device I owned was a Game Boy (the original one).
Are there really any decent RPGs out there for these devices?!

KalosKagathos

Learned
Angelo85 said:
Sure. PSP has improved ports of Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, the first three Persona games (no Eternal Punishment, alas) and Nippon Ichi SRPGs, as well as some nice original stuff: Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3, Wild Arms XF and ClaDun. Vita's getting updated ports of Disgaea 3 and Persona 4, so NIS and Atlus will support the platform. Another SMT game is supposed to be in development for it (it was mentioned during TGS), but nobody knows what it is. SMT's 20th anniversary is next year, though, so it's probably another port. Could be a bundle of I & II, could be Nocturne, could be Strange Journey. Could be nothing, as it has ultimately been the case with the SECRET PS3 GAME, but I'll remain optimistic.

Japan as a whole is shifting towards handhelds more and more, so if you like turn-based RPGs, a Vita or a 3DS is a must. It's either that, or waiting for VD's and Cleve's vaporware. Or South Park: The Game.

anus_pounder

Arcane
As long as they remain emulatable (eventually, 10-20 years doesn't matter), I can wait.

It has nothing to do with being a cheapskate. I'm all burned out of cash buying stuff for my PC and PS3. I'm not sure I can really handle a 3rd and 4th platform thrown into the mix. I would buy a PSP if I had the cash.

Goddamn, I need to get a job.

Luzur

Good Sir
KalosKagathos said:
Angelo85 said:
Sure. PSP has improved ports of Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, the first three Persona games (no Eternal Punishment, alas) and Nippon Ichi SRPGs, as well as some nice original stuff: Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3, Wild Arms XF and ClaDun. Vita's getting updated ports of Disgaea 3 and Persona 4, so NIS and Atlus will support the platform. Another SMT game is supposed to be in development for it (it was mentioned during TGS), but nobody knows what it is. SMT's 20th anniversary is next year, though, so it's probably another port. Could be a bundle of I & II, could be Nocturne, could be Strange Journey. Could be nothing, as it has ultimately been the case with the SECRET PS3 GAME, but I'll remain optimistic.

Japan as a whole is shifting towards handhelds more and more, so if you like turn-based RPGs, a Vita or a 3DS is a must. It's either that, or waiting for VD's and Cleve's vaporware. Or South Park: The Game.

or PSP emulating and fan translators.

made

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
wait for an emulator to do so.
Sounds like a plan. That's the beauty of the handheld console generation: emulators are readily available and don't take a beast of a PC to run adequately. As a bonus touchpads/stylus are perfectly suited for mouse controls. As far as I'm concerned, handhelds are the future.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Japan as a whole is shifting towards handhelds more and more, so if you like turn-based RPGs, a Vita or a 3DS is a must. It's either that, or waiting for VD's and Cleve's vaporware.

The prudent consumer would wait and see how well the piracy scene for Vita and 3DS turns out before spending his money. Also 3DS doesn't even have any games yet.

Xi

Arcane
The vita is interesting because it has better specs than an X360/PS3 in a handheld device. That's pretty laughable really. More RAM, better GPU, and Comparable CPU. lol

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just remember when buying the system to wait until some slick new version gets announced then buy the old version when the price drops. The originals are easier to mod anyways.

Hacked PSP is the best thing to come out of japan since pretty much forever.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Turns out I was wrong. Developers can disable the feature if they want to. Sony says it's a form of protection from spoilers (as if you couldn't take a photo of the screen or just post the spoilers on some forum). So far, I know of two games that don't allow taking screenshots: Ultimate MvC 3 and Disgaea 3. That sucks.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
And what's stopping crackers from simply enabling that feature and patching it into their ROMs? If there's one group of people in gaming you can trust to go above and beyond the call of duty, it's not devs, it's not publishers, it's not modders, it's crackers.

stock-photo-43201-soda-crackers.jpg

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Satan said:

And Konjab is still banned.

spekkio

Arcane
Thanks for totally missing the point again, Skyway.

:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom