Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mangoose said:
I thought ME1 and ME2 were the ones with two different writing teams.
Not entirely. Karpyshyn was replaced as lead by Mac Walters but he still contributed (and oddly enough there's a vocal group who think Walters ruined everything and want Karpyshyn to come back) and Kristjanson and most of the others also worked on ME.

Infinitron said:
I don't see any big difference between Mass Effect and Dragon Age's writing. They're both the same David Gaider cookie cutter material Bioware have been manufacturing since 2004 (with the malign influence starting from BG2 and TOB, growing stronger through NWN OC and HOTU, and reaching its ultimate form in KOTOR)

Don't imagine that one game has better writing than the other just because it plays smoothly and doesn't have completely shitty design. Or because the sci-fi setting is slightly less worn out than the fantasy setting.
More or less true, the corporate culture of large companies like Bioware mostly drowns out individual voices, particularly since they have editors there to enforce the Bioware Style Guide.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roguey said:
More or less true, the corporate culture of large companies like Bioware mostly drowns out individual voices, particularly since they have editors there to enforce the Bioware Style Guide.

More than that, you have to construct a NWN module written in Bioware style to even get a job there in the first place. It's a cult.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron said:
Roguey said:

More than that, you have to construct a NWN module written in Bioware style to even get a job there in the first place. It's a cult.

K2mME.png

Dantus12

Educated
I have a dark vision of Soap MacTavish as romance option, not sure which one is worse.
How many bald space Marines can Unreal Uniform produce actually.
-----------------------

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Kimagure Majo Yousei said:
He's ugly, and even most of the locals are more refined than him. Bioware's sinking to new lows, it seems
Are you saying most of your Argentine locals are unrefined? That's not a flattering thing to say about them!

But of course, a man like James Vega does look halfway Latin American and halfway Italian American. Like Nickelodeon's Dora the Explorer - the Peruvian, Guatemalan, Bolivian, Venezuelan, Apache preteen - James Vega covers a very vast demographic and audience in a single masterstroke.

@ Wyrmlord

I was not talking of those but, like, yes. Sure. Most modern men, by rule, are pathetic and unrefined, devoid of style and posture, lacking in manners and class, ignorant of anything :monocle: or pretty, nothing but ugly and brutish little creatures lacking in any redeeming qualities whatsoever, be them from argentina or elsewhere. Men who don't want to be seen, and used, as nothing but walking wallets and the ocassional walking sex toy when hot enough should make sure there's something beyond their wallet, and ocassional unpolished hotness, to notice. It is their responsability, not mine.

But then there are exceptions, even in such a place as this. Let's keep that kind of thing to General Discussion, though. This is neither the place nor the time.

Back on topic, even those lowly beings are better than this new Biowarian guy. Hell, even Jacob was, and that tells you something when even Biotards considered him to be quite the faux pas.

Black

Arcane
The most important question is: if Sheperds is going gay, will he be the sub or the dom?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Roguey said:
Mangoose said:
I thought ME1 and ME2 were the ones with two different writing teams.
Not entirely. Karpyshyn was replaced as lead by Mac Walters but he still contributed (and oddly enough there's a vocal group who think Walters ruined everything and want Karpyshyn to come back) and Kristjanson and most of the others also worked on ME.
Interesting. I felt there was a huge difference in tone in ME2 compared to other Bioware games. While, yes, the main story was still BSB, it was underemphasized and IMO the actual main story emphasis in the game was more of doing loyalty quests for your party members.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
hoopy said:
Maybe you'll get an option to have Wrex beat him to death and throw the remains out the airlock. There's always hope.
Most likely they won't even allow you to give harmless :troll: renegade responses to everything pertinent to fags. But maybe they'll be (unintentionally?) satyrical about it, just like youtube and their copyright education videos. There's always hope, indeed.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
-[Paragon] I want you inside me!
- Let's 69!
-[Renegade] Bend over, here comes the torpedo!

Tsukasa Buddha

Liturgist
Nooo! What are those things between his shoulders and his neck? Garrus, I've been leading you down the left hand path for times such as these...

*sobs* *pre-orders game* The mods will fix it.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
hvvyf7.jpg
hvvyf7.jpg

Once again we see the downside of modern graphics. If Mass Effect 3 had 1993ish production values, this guy would only be vaguely defined by some low resolution sprites and a few lines of text. Mostly he'd be a blank slate and you would fill in the details according to your own prejudices. Thus, you would be in large part shielded from the Developer's bad taste.

Instead, you get to see (and hear) in excruciating detail just how horrible the Developer's "vision" was. This is like the American/Canadian version of what happened to Final Fantasy games, get used to it.

Black

Arcane
qXCdK.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom