Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

damicore

Augur
This corporate speak sounds like the kiss of death in a way. I'd really like to be proved wrong.
Descent_corporate.jpg

"We're huge fans of the original game"

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I frankly don't care. The UFO franchise got fucked over so many times that one extra time won't make the difference. Do hope Xenonauts won't let me down though...

Hellraiser

Arcane
Not sure if incline or decline.

I'll assume it's going to be a shit game that rapes the rotting corpse of the X-COM series with it's mere existence. Hope is the first step to disappointment after all.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
I have the same opinion about this as about that other fanmade XCOM clone.
Its a fucking clone. Why in Gods name would I waste time playing a shittier copy of XCOM?
It best, its a copy in a skin, at worst, well, see further down.

The AI will be shittier. Of course they will think that it isnt because its less random but in fact it will be shittier exactly because its less random.
The GFX will be shittier compared in the context of time and
The SFX will be shittier because frankly, if you slap the identic! name onto your nextgen clone abortion, I will be doing the comparisons in my flashy rose-coloured glasses.
The STYLE is already fucking shittier. I see out-proportioned oversized guns and the most banal shit boring version of grey I could come up with in 5 seconds.
Its made by Firaxis and on a PR license.

TRULY A LABOR OF LOVE!
CANT FUCKING WAIT!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
People who compare this to some fan-made mod made somewhere in Eastern Europe are fucking nuts.

This is the best fucking news for a long time. I'm glad there's still a publisher out there to put money and marketing muscle behind such a "dead" genre. Fuck you all!

Vival

Augur
People who compare this to some fan-made mod made somewhere in Eastern Europe are fucking nuts.

This is the best fucking news for a long time. I'm glad there's still a publisher out there to put money and marketing muscle behind such a "dead" genre. Fuck you all!

Yeah, what the fuck. That's a really big surprise to me. It being more than some squad based rts filled with cinematics and shit seemed pretty much unthinkable. Especially since it's not proven to bring good sales like the civ series. And unlike the recent civ this can't really disappoint me due to a lack of expectations.

Marobug

I have the same opinion about this as about that other fanmade XCOM clone.
Its a fucking clone. Why in Gods name would I waste time playing a shittier copy of XCOM?
It best, its a copy in a skin, at worst, well, see further down.

The AI will be shittier. Of course they will think that it isnt because its less random but in fact it will be shittier exactly because its less random.
The GFX will be shittier compared in the context of time and
The SFX will be shittier because frankly, if you slap the identic! name onto your nextgen clone abortion, I will be doing the comparisons in my flashy rose-coloured glasses.
The STYLE is already fucking shittier. I see out-proportioned oversized guns and the most banal shit boring version of grey I could come up with in 5 seconds.
Its made by Firaxis and on a PR license.

*facepalm

Did you read the news ? The game isn't out yet. You haven't even seen a screenshot and you can already elaborate on the gfx (context of time, wtf ?), the ai (which wasn't exactly enemy unknown's strongest point...), the sfx etc...
Also firaxis made civ 4 and alpha centauri and wtf is a PR license ?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, what the fuck. That's a really big surprise to me. It being more than some squad based rts filled with cinematics and shit seemed pretty much unthinkable. Especially since it's not proven to bring good sales like the civ series. And unlike the recent civ this can't really disappoint me due to a lack of expectations.
Yeah, my guess is, this will at least be better (/more fun) as the Syndicate and X-Com shooter games in production. There is not much here to go on, but let's not shoot it down just yet. Maybe it will be Civ5 under water ? If it gets a Terror from the Deep DLC.

Black

Arcane
I'm pretty sure they'd ask you for some tips on how to be edgy.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
After the pleasant surprise that was DX:HR, I've become more optimistic about these "franchise reboots", so I'm going to be positive until we have proof that this game is popamole. So far the info sounds good.

Remember too that Firaxis is the successor to MicroProse who published the original UFO and developed TFtD in house.

xrm1

Educated
I don't doubt that Firaxis is capable of developing a decent XCOM remake but it's 2K/Take2 calling the shots. And there have not been many TBS games that sold well in the last years apart from Civilization, the only game I can think of is King's Bounty and that's probably small fry by big publisher standards.

Drakron

Arcane
I've become more optimistic about these "franchise reboots", so I'm going to be positive until we have proof that this game is popamole.

The FPS is the re-boot, this come out of nowhere and considering how their position was how X-Com simply had to be made a FPS then this was very much unexpectedly coming out from the left field.

Then again, I suspect the X-COM FPS shooter was not originally designed to be X-Com, it was someone at 2K that remembered they had the IP and slapped it on it because a game without a IP behind it "does not sell" and ended up dooming the whole project as nobody wanted a X-Com FPS and when they realized even the "gaming journalists" were cold at best about it they panicked and turned into a ME2 clone that just made everyone who was willing to accept it to jump ship.

This reeks of damage control, Fireaxis is likely doing this because they are the only studio they have that does strategy games ... not because they want but because they were told since they abandoned all hopes in X-Com FPS.

Until until you see the people that are attached to this and read what they said, the best I can hope they are shitting their pants so much they are going to follow the original gameplay out of fear of fucking it up and dont try to "explore" new design, I am sure somethings will be lost (I doubt the "so random" AI, we likely going to be a more focused AI) but lets hope this does not became Civ 5.

xrm1

Educated
Total war, Sots, Homm, GalCiv2 etc...
TW games are pretty much RTS, SoTS and GalCiv are indie games and the Homm series is low budget eastern european shovelware at this point.

Marobug

wat

total war games are tbs games with real time combat; homm is published by ubisoft and recently got a sequel which probably means it sold well (also low budget eastern european shovelware? wtf ?); and no, galciv2 and sots are not indies games. Even if they were, they sold million of units each which I think fit the "TBS games that sold well in the last years" description.

Peter

Arcane
Hmm, that video does indeed make me feel a bit more optimistic, since I think they wouldn't be talking about aspects like the atmosphere and difficulty and stuff if they were going to change it.

Black

Arcane
It's good to see that the lead designer is into X-Com, the other 2 guys are either not so much into it or really camera shy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom