Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs of 2012

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Demise: Ascension, yay!

Just received the January 2012 beta build, and according to Decklin this is "the last major Pre-Release revision and the final release version is now scheduled to be available March 31, 2012."

Apart from that... Risen 2 I guess. And hopefully the Japs will release some kind of dungeon crawler for console/handheld like they always do, bringing incline to the genre. :P

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Are you fucking serious, Codex?

It's obvious that 2012 is The Year of the RPG.

With such :obviously: RPGs on the horizon such as Transformers Universe and Fable: The Journey, it's clear that 2012 will be a MAJESTIC year for the genre.

:smug:

But seriously, Risen 2 and Dishonored are probably the big (A)RPGs I'm looking forward to. There may be some good JRPGs coming out too and Guild Wars 2 may also be worth a look. But not that much aside from that.

made

Arcane
High expectations for Guild Wars 2. Other than that things look pretty bleak on the PC front.

Thankfully I have accumulated enough handheld roms to last me a lifetime.

PS: Witcher 2 Xbox port! :D :p ;)

tred

Augur
oh man i hope icewind dale 3 dies in the womb and never ever gets developed! can't you see that the only thing THEY know how to do is rape everything that is/was good?
on this subject of bringing back old series etc etc the game industry is like king midas in reverse, everything they touch turns to shit.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Wow I didn't even think about it. There isn't any hope this year. Maybe Diablo III and... nothing?

Every new information about South Park game kills a small part of me.

Dragon Age3 and Mass Effect3. Oh lordy lord.

But there are something about 50 Thursdays left, right?

Crusader Kings 2 will probably have more stats&choices than other rpg's combined.

Medic

Scholar
Patron
Hopefully Deus Ex HR DLC and obviously Legend of Grimrock

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Only things I can think of are King Arthur 2 and Risen 2. Hoping, of course, that they don't suck. Which is unlikely for KA2 since from the looks of it, it's gonna be a proper sequel, but I'm still not quite sure about Risen 2. Will have to see it in motion, I guess.

deuxhero

Arcane
Actually, DeSu 2 does have a 2012 release for English set. Thing has more C&C than most of the wRPGs the Codex loves.

tindrli

Arcane
Demise: Ascension, yay!

Just received the January 2012 beta build, and according to Decklin this is "the last major Pre-Release revision and the final release version is now scheduled to be available March 31, 2012."

Apart from that... Risen 2 I guess. And hopefully the Japs will release some kind of dungeon crawler for console/handheld like they always do, bringing incline to the genre. :p

lets just hope that its the TRUTH!"!!! this time

Flatlander

Liturgist
It's obvious that 2012 is The Year of the RPG.
This image captures quite well the spirit of the article and comments

I guess the brunette chick who doesn't look quite so enthusiastic is a codexian?

Anyway, Sword & Sorcery Gold look pretty neat. Xenonauts also. And wasn't Basilisk Games supposed to come up with some sort of 3d RPG, hopefully in the Gold Box style though that's probably too optimistic.

Dead State, AoD, KotC II, Frayed Knights II, yeah...

metzger

Educated
Risen 2 is an action-rpg with pre-made character, who often talks what he wants and doesn't let a player to choose dialogue option? Meh. It looks like South Park will be only real rpg this year. And this is sad, because I hate it's visual style and setting.

Kraszu

Prophet
Risen 2 is an action-rpg with pre-made character,

I don't get the complaint about pre made char, you are limited by who you side with in what char you can develop, choosing the size of your nose is so important for the game to be a crpg?

who often talks what he wants and doesn't let a player to choose dialogue option?

No. Not where there is a real choice to be made, the game doesn't have as many fake dialogue options as Bioware games that is true.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Don't feed the troll.

RE: Year of the RPG.

Some of my favourite bits:

Early demos haven’t impressed, but if Peter Molyneux and company are able to pull off a deep, interesting RPG that runs off of Kinect, I will be very impressed.

If you’re one of those people who whines about Bioware stripping away RPG elements from the Mass Effect series, I’m going to kindly ask you to step aside for this entry. All gone? Excellent. For the rest of us, Mass Effect 3 looks like the perfect end to one of gaming’s best trilogies ever.

Preemptive fuck you to anybody who might disagree.

While many PC gamers already have The Witcher 2 topping their game of the year lists for 2011, console players will be introduced to gritty anti-hero Geralt next year. I won’t spoil any story stuff – not least of all because I’m waiting on the 360 version myself! – but this European-developed RPG features intensely challenging combat, a dark story, and huge plot choices that affect the game’s progress in ways that will leave you shocked.

WTF is this? Are they actually changing the game or is this guy just kind of pretending The Witcher 2 wasn't a 2011 game because he only plays on consoles?

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
This image captures quite well the spirit of the article and comments

I guess the brunette chick who doesn't look quite so enthusiastic is a codexian?

Anyway, Sword & Sorcery Gold look pretty neat. Xenonauts also. And wasn't Basilisk Games supposed to come up with some sort of 3d RPG, hopefully in the Gold Box style though that's probably too optimistic.

Dead State, AoD, KotC II, Frayed Knights II, yeah...

I'll take the codexian girl anyday because she will be my wife, will cook me a dinner, take care of my kids and stay at home while i work, while the prutty one will never cook will be getting hit on by other guys and probably fucked in the end.

Deleted member 7219

Definitely coming out this year:

Risen 2. Although I am worried, really liked Gothic 3 and Risen and am concerned about them going mainstream.
Mass Effect 3. Likewise, from the stupid gameplay trailer and screenshots of 'RPG Mode' menu choice.
Skyrim DLC. Maybe Beth learned a thing or two by how Obsidian made New Vegas and its DLC.

Maybe, maybe not:

Age of Decadence. Really like what I've heard so far and I have similar tastes in RPGs to VD's.
Dragon Age 3. The second one got such a hammering that I'm holding out hope Bioware will learn their lesson.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Can't really say I'm looking forward to any mainstream RPG this year and, unfortunately, I don't believe we'll be seeing an IWD game anytime soon. Or ever.

Stinger

Arcane
Actually, DeSu 2 does have a 2012 release for English set. Thing has more C&C than most of the wRPGs the Codex loves.
Fuck Yeah , Devil Survivor was fantastic and the turn based strategy combat was pretty awesome too. Did not expect a decent rpg on the DS.
Is the jap version for DeSu2 out yet? Any idea if it is as good as/better than the original?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom