Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"SWTOR could have been Game of Thrones MMO"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For one, I am glad that they chose to use a setting that has already been so prostituted out that it can't get any worse, rather than a still-coherent setting taken from a singular source. MMORPG mechanics almost guarantee the ruination of any subject material they are based upon. One exception I can think of might be LoRTO, and only because they made a conscious effort to steer clear of most of the important locations in the novels, and instead fill out all the stuff hinted at, referred to indirectly and put in schedules, so you had something consistent with and inspired by the books, but without sending 40-man raids to dunk the ring in Mt Doom every few hours.

Drakron

Arcane
For one, I am glad that they chose to use a setting that has already been so prostituted out that it can't get any worse ...

Pretty much, I would say TOR story looks like bad fanfic but at this stage Star Wars Eu have been damaged beyond repair so its not like its any worst that all the crap that been piling up because the Holocron does not really do its job and authors been ignoring any non-George sources.

And I really doubt they would be allowed to work with Tolkien material since the Tolkien Estate keeps it on a tight leash and Turbine was already working on a MMO (and have the rights until 2014), besides EA license ended in 09 meaning there was really no way for BioWare to work with Tolkien material due to Turbine already doing it and with EA acquiring then knowing their (EA) license would be expiring before the MMO could come out.

I think that right now nobody that wants to protect their IP value would want EA within 5 feet of it, they just run then into the ground.

Drakron

Arcane
Yet one can dream of a well executed Silmarillion MMO.

That is impossible, starting by the fact the Silmarillion covers events separated by centuries or Eras, you would have to pick one part of it (War of Wrath, Akallabeth or War of the Last Alliance) and simply put, none of those events are covered enough to make a world out of it.

Its a good backdrop book for LotR+Hobbit but on its own ...

dragonfk

Erudite
That is impossible, starting by the fact the Silmarillion covers events separated by centuries or Eras, you would have to pick one part of it (War of Wrath, Akallabeth or War of the Last Alliance) and simply put, none of those events are covered enough to make a world out of it.

Its a good backdrop book for LotR+Hobbit but on its own ...

Although I agree that it would have needed a tremendous effort both from developer and producer to be executed in a way that it's not cringe worthy for the fans, I don't think that it would be so hard to incorporate event of the book in a MMO. Developer could plan the whole game around specific timelines. I.e. at first you start in Valinor and during MQ you see the events unfold from creation of Silmarills, through the death of Valinor Trees and voyage across the oceans to Middle-Earth. And then you could add more land in every consecutive MQ chapter.

Or forget about it and just build the game around second era. When Morgoth has been banished and the mantle of leadership goes to Sauron. The time when Numenor still shone across the sea at Middle-Earth, when it's might was more significant that of the elves remaining in ME. There's a ton of possibilities. Tons of epic material for an another epic MMO. They don't have to depict all of the history covered by Silmarillion (that would be insane) but only the part that they feel would be most interesting for players.

dragonfk

Erudite
Well, it doesn't. But only MMO's tend to receive funding necessary to create such a enormous world.

Black

Arcane
I'm glad it's not, I think GOT and ASOIAF in general are quite decent.

made

Arcane
One exception I can think of might be LoRTO, and only because they made a conscious effort to steer clear of most of the important locations in the novels, and instead fill out all the stuff hinted at, referred to indirectly and put in schedules, so you had something consistent with and inspired by the books, but without sending 40-man raids to dunk the ring in Mt Doom every few hours.
I wonder if that was indeed conscious effort or rather due to Turbine's inability to provide new content in a timely manner. The expansions introduced prominent locations like Moria (very well designed), Dol Guldur (a handfull casual instances and lame daily quests), and Isengard (largely devoid of content from what I hear). If they had to churn out content at the rate Blizzard does people might very well be raiding Sauron on a weekly basis by now.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I'm just glad we never have to witness a million youtube videos of a bunch of chinese mmo players doing raids on Melkor dubbed with american pop music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom