Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

Stand-alone Elemental expansion <a href="http://forums.elementalgame.com/403846" target="_blank"><strong>Fallen Enchantress</strong></a> is on the way, with Derek "Kael" Paxton as the lead designer.
<blockquote>Stardock released the details of the next chapter in its Elemental fantasy strategy game world.  Elemental: Fallen Enchantress includes an all-new battle system, more sophisticated spell casting, an updated economic system, new game mechanics, more creatures, quests and much more.

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress will be released as a stand-alone game but will be free to all players who purchased Elemental: War of Magic in 2010 and will be heavily discounted for anyone who purchases Elemental: War of Magic prior to Fallen Enchantress&rsquo;s anticipated Summer 2011 release.
</blockquote>And <a href="http://forums.elementalgame.com/403882" target="_blank">here's Wardell</a> with more on the game and Stardock's direction.
<blockquote>Fallen Enchantress gives us the opportunity to have a very different fantasy strategy game than War of Magic. While the original intent was simply to eliminate an unnecessary SCU (we can simply have Fallen Enchantress with an upgrade price for people who have War of Magic), in this case, it lets us make an even bigger break from War of Magic because it has a new Lead Designer (Kael instead of myself) with Jon Shafer helping as well as we begin pre-production of Jon&rsquo;s new game along with many other changes. It&rsquo;s still Stardock but it&rsquo;s a very different Stardock than what made War of Magic (or GalCiv II for that matter).

I&rsquo;m still filling the role of studio lead developer and Executive Producer but we&rsquo;re actively seeking out industry veterans to take over the role of lead developer of Stardock Entertainment.</blockquote>

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There probably will be more expansions. Gal Civ II got 2 of them, the last really changed the game. Stardock tends to stick with one thing for a couple of years.

I think this is more of a reset, rebuilding Elemental as it should have been from the start. Probably this thing will get an expansion or there will just be another stand-alone thing in the future.

Either way, I quite like Elemental as it is now, shame this wasn't the release build. Why couldn't they have waited a few more months?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Multi-headed Cow said:
Death to Stardock.

I am torn on this. I generally dislike their games but I would not like to see another ambitious dev go down.

Perhaps Elemental with new expansion will be even playable? Right now its not even torrent worthy.

mondblut

Arcane
Jason said:
Elemental: Fallen Enchantress includes an all-new battle system, more sophisticated spell casting, an updated economic system, new game mechanics, more creatures, quests and much more.

I see they forgot about including fun again :lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
mondblut said:
Jason said:
Elemental: Fallen Enchantress includes an all-new battle system, more sophisticated spell casting, an updated economic system, new game mechanics, more creatures, quests and much more.

I see they forgot about including fun again :lol:

Fun? There hasn't been a 'fun' game since Duke3D!

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Tycn said:
I'm impressed by their humility and with Kael this might just be good.

You are reading an advertisement, my naive friend.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Kael and company have been doing good work, the game is substantially improved compared to the launch version. I'm pretty optimistic about the future of Elemental. Either way, I'm getting the first two expansions for free since I was suckered into buying it during it's disastrous launch :smug:

Stardock's problem has been they've lacked that spark that makes a game interesting, I think hiring Kael was a great way to address that.

dragonfk

Erudite
Say what you will, but Stardock deserves some respect for their attitude. They are not some soulless corporation like EA (though their games are a lil' bit on the soulless side :/ ; hope that changes).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, despite its flaws, I had some fun with Elemental (much more than with the bland and boring GalCiv2) so I'm optimistic.

Norfleet

How is this news? I see nothing but lies and propaganda. This "game" they speak of does not actually exist.

Yeesh

Magister
I for one would like to see a review of any version of Elemental 1.11or later (which is to say 1.10 + at least some AI fixes). Is it still unplayable? Or are people just whiny little bitches?

Zeus

Cipher
Elemental is by no means unplayable. I haven't had a single crash since 1.1. Variety is a problem--there aren't enough spells or differences between the humanoid races--but thanks to the random map (I hate campaign modes) it's still a fun game to play.

The problem is, it's still very much unfinished. They just changed the magic system in a major way. Food production has changed, the way buildings work has changed. I mean, the game works, it just gives me an uneasy feeling, like if I get really good at it, they'll change everything again.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
So this will be free for the people who purchsed the original eh? Might give it another shot then. Though I was hugely dissapointed with the original - another case of my "pre-order because your totally hyped from the marketing stuff" illness.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I've been following development of the expansion and I must have say - the progress is impressive. It looks like a proper, interesting game now, they have inclined every aspect of original. There is nice topic with "let's play ..." http://forums.elementalgame.com/414932 I recommend reading it. God, I'm hyped.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Trying not to get my hopes up again. Managed to avoid getting Elemental in the first place because I'd been recently burned with buying SoaSE and being severely disappointed. Kept hoping people would turn around and say it's all awesome and fixed now, but it still seems o be a very mixed reaction. Started watching a video LP to get an idea of it (A pity nobody did one on the codex, strategy games are better suited for image LPs, more talking less bandwidth.)

Cassidy

Arcane
How is Stardock even capable of fucking up a man's abilities as game designer to the point he'd end doing something inferior to his previous mods while having all the benefits of having an entire game written from scratch around this design rather than the limitations of modding?

dragonfk

Erudite
Well I wouldn't be so sure it's impossible. Derek, when he worked on FFH, was a lone gunner. No boundaries, no superiors, no expectations, no pressure. And Civ4 was a good game from get go. Not so much with Elemental.

Stardock's overconfidence has been Elementals downfall once already. So until a time I will be able to fire the game and not uninstall it after a dozen of turns out of boredom I will remain sceptical. However I must admit that I see a lot of things I like. E:WoM was ,as Wardell admitted, incoherent, chaotical and bland. In FE I am beggining to see things that made me love MoM.

I'll get it because it's going to be free, but I'm definitely getting my hopes up again. I tried to play Elemental again... it's just not good. It doesn't have the bugginess of the previous versions, it's just... not good.

With Magna Mundi, CK2, Vicky 2 expansion, Risen 2, etc. coming out this year, plus my already current log of games, I can't see myself spending any real time on this.

kris

Arcane
Is it just me or did the world seem really small and the cities seemed to take up half the world? I felt like the sense of explorance was lost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom