Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your ideal Daggerfall custom class

Wyrmlord

Arcane
How do you go about making one? Post screenshots to show some cool classes you may have made.

21bjckx.png

t99p4n.png

I did the above, because the first or second characters I played with Daggerfall, I NEVER encountered poison or disease attacks. That's not saying they don't exist, and you face all sorts of enemies in Daggerfall, but I have never seen the "You have been Poisoned" or "You have been Diseased" message. I have seen frequent paralyses, but I felt Immunity to Paralysis would steeply reverse the quick levelling that those Critical Weaknesses can give. Plus I more than compensate with 30 hit points per level.

(One way to really level fast is to make a pure fighter who can not regenerate spell points, plus critical weakness to poison and disease. That's 1/3rd the effort for each level gained.)

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I used to make a pure fighter with the inability to regen spell points plus some other disadvantages and gave myself immunity to everything (beside disease) making me immune to all magic. In the game before the patch you could take several times same disadvantage only with slight alterations, like taking no regen spell points in both dark and light which allowed you to make even stronger builds. This way even with the patch you could only be killed in close combat and as a pure fighter that is not a problem. Only thing you can be afraid of is that sometimes dungeon generator can place higher level enemy then you that can kill you in one shot but that is very rare.

Do the language skills do anything? I'm aware they're supposed to make those enemies non-hostile, but I assume that only works if the skill is high and how do you train those skills (other than training for money, I mean).

Heavy Armor seems like a no-brainer in Daggerfall. No armor skills (which I actually like -- always thought it kind of stupid how TES games require you to get hit to train armor skills). I don't see the advantages of Light or no armor in Daggerfall.

And I couldn't live without magic: Waterbreathing and Levitation seem like a must in most dungeons, unless you can get Climb and Swimming to very high levels.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Spell absorption + Disintegrate spell. Win.

Only thing that can get you killed is a Vampire Ancient's shock spell if you don't manage your mana well enough.

There are people who don't play an immune/absorb all magic 30 HP/level 3x magic cap regenerating athletic expertise in weapon of choice character who still has a ~.3x level modifier?

Fucking LARPers.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Remember there used to be a word - munchkin.

In gaming, a Munchkin is a player who plays what is intended to be a non-competitive game (usually a role-playing game) in an aggressively competitive manner. A munchkin seeks within the context of the game to amass the greatest power, score the most "kills", and grab the most loot, no matter how deleterious their actions are to role-playing, the storyline, fairness, logic, or the other players' fun. The term is used almost exclusively as a pejorative and frequently is used in reference to powergamers.
The term was applied originally to young gamers by older players, presumably because the connotation of being short and ridiculous (like the Munchkins in the book and film The Wizard of Oz) made it an apt label for the childish gamers it was applied to. However, before long it came to refer to anyone who engaged in a juvenile gaming style no matter their height, age or experience.

Speaking of decline. \o Take it easy feller, it ain't a race.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There are people who don't play an immune/absorb all magic 30 HP/level 3x magic cap regenerating athletic expertise in weapon of choice character who still has a ~.3x level modifier?

Fucking LARPers.
I really just made the quickest character I could, just for making the thread. You can make anything with some persistence in Daggerfall.

Come on, guys, show your characters.

hakuroshi

Augur
Thieves and Rogues sometimes can poison on hit. Also Ancient Liches seem to use spells with poison components - one of my chars, who was immune to anything except poison, was killed when one of these buddies self-detonated.
Disease is bugged, but still can be caught. But if you have critical weakness to disease you never catch one :)

Languidge skills do prevent enemies from attacking, and it's true that you'll see any noticable effect only at pretty high skill level (probably luck modified). Like 80% or so. It happens sometimes at 20% but very unreliable, it's easier to kill anything you meet anyway. These skills train every time you meet an enemy of respective type, but very slow, I've got +1 to my orcish and daedric during the whole game maybe.

Playing without magic may be pretty interesting and sure differs from all magic user (who don't differ from each other much in DF). You still can use magical items, and levitate, waterbreath and teleport can be enchanted. You even can get access to Item maker. It's not possible without becoming a werecritter for Mage Guild, but Temple of Julianos also have one, and can be reached without spellcasting.

Dustin542

Liturgist
I think you can train the Language skills by trying to talk to them repeatedly in dialog mode.

MCA
Thieves and Rogues sometimes can poison on hit. Also Ancient Liches seem to use spells with poison components - one of my chars, who was immune to anything except poison, was killed when one of these buddies self-detonated.
Disease is bugged, but still can be caught. But if you have critical weakness to disease you never catch one :)

Poison is one of the magical damage types in Daggerfall. Disease is not bugged. I've died to disease plenty of times because I couldn't adjust travel time well. And I have always picked critical weakness to disease.

Language skills start being useful as early as around 30 level skill and they go up rather fast. And you also have trainers as mentioned.

JrK

Prophet
I see you invested in Speed. I found that one the most effective attribute, because it increases movement speed AND attack speed. Kiting was powerful, even using melee weapons.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
max speed + ebony dagger. everything else is gravy.

mondblut

Arcane

Fucking LARPers.

Athletic and expertise in weapon? What kind of a cripple is that?

Unless you have the 6 magic schools as your 3 primary, 2 highest majors and 1 highest minor, you are a loser. Running and actually fighting to level up, is that a joke or something?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
max speed + ebony dagger. everything else is gravy.
True, true, but you quickly find better weapons than ebony dagger by level 5 or 6. A mithril frail does the same minimum damage but higher maximum damage. A dwarven sword also does just slightly less minimum damage and slightly more maximum damage.

hakuroshi

Augur

Poison is one of the magical damage types in Daggerfall. Disease is not bugged. I've died to disease plenty of times because I couldn't adjust travel time well. And I have always picked critical weakness to disease.

Language skills start being useful as early as around 30 level skill and they go up rather fast. And you also have trainers as mentioned.

It seems that we play very different daggerfalls. :)
Small wonder.
I did catch diseases, but never died from them (lucky teleport). But with critical weakness that never happened. Granted, I usually become werecritter early as well, but rats bite a lot at lower levels.
As for languages, orcish was a major skill for me, but grew naturally only once for two in-game years and a couple of hundred orcs met (and killed). You can train them, of course - up to 51. Also with high stealth enemies tend not to notice you anyway and it's not easy to distinguish from language skill success at first glance.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

Fucking LARPers.

Unless you have the 6 magic schools as your 3 primary, 2 highest majors and 1 highest minor, you are a loser. Running and actually fighting to level up, is that a joke or something?
Why would you want all six of them? What's the big deal about Thaumaturgy and Illusion?

Fucking LARPers.

I didn't make any mention of skills, just that you could take every single positive perk and still have maximum level rate. Athletics perk slows rate of stamina use, weapon expertise gives an extra bonus to hit rate. You can have all of that along with all 6 magic schools in your build.

mondblut

Arcane
Why would you want all six of them? What's the big deal about Thaumaturgy and Illusion?

Levelling up depends on 6 skills. With thaumaturgy and illusion you have your levels hotkeyed to your "cast" button. That, and 2 very special custom AOE spells ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom