Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HD screen poll

Do you have an HD screen?

• Yes :)

Votes: 48 84.2%
  • No :(

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I bought a HD screen a while ago to watch movies and I kinda want my game to utilize it. A resolution and aspect ratio independent UI does not fit into my time/motivation budget so I would like to know how many people I would lock out if I went HD only.

To make it clear, when I say "HD screen" I mean a monitor capable of displaying at least 1280x720 without distortion.

racofer

Thread Incliner
No because I use the superior 16:10 aspect ratio, therefore having black bars with any other sub-quality display mode. :obviously:

Define HD more exactly.

1600x1200 here, but according to some "HD" means a shitty aspect ratio that wastes 80% of the screen space while reading something.

LordDenton

Augur
16:10 on all my monitors.

Desktops: 1440 x 900
Laptop: 1680 x 1050

I hate the retarded 16:9 ratio that is dominating LCDs nowadays, since it means I gotta pay more for a non-shitty aspect ratio. :(

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Damn, completely forgot about those 16:10 screens. The industry moved away from those awhile ago but I guess there are still a few around.
Please vote "Yes" if you have such a screen. Because 1280x720, while not being a perfect fit, still fits better than the current 800x600.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I have a 1680x1050 monitor.

I'm conflicted about the ratio, especially for my next monitor choice. On the one hand, the extra vertical space is great for desktop work, and lets me see more at once. It's also better for old games, as I can just run in a 4:3 resolution and won't have too much black space left over. On the other hand, most games are hor+ when using widescreen displays and thus 16:10 monitors actually display less than 16:9 (more important in first-person games). Many games are also optimized for 16:9, and have issues like HUD stretching with 16:10, which I am also not a fan of. Of course, just about every modern TV show and film is formatted for 16:9 as well.

My gaming and movie-watching needs will probably win out over my desktop needs for my next choice. 1920x1080 is still an increase in both horizontal and vertical space for me, so I think I'd only have problems going from 1920x1200 to 1080. At this point though, I'm more concerned with screen quality. I have a very good TN panel (Samsung T220) which as far as I know is still one of the best as far as colour reproduction goes, especially once it's been calibrated properly, but I also realize that IPS and variants are better. I'm very sensitive to input lag so I'd need an IPS with both excellent colour reproduction and fast response, and I'm not sure there are any of those available that are reasonably priced or don't have other issues.

Yeesh

Magister
I went from 1920X1200 in a 27" (which died) to 1920X1080 on an LED TV and I fucking hate it. I mean there's a lot to hate about using an LED TV as a monitor, but I specifically hate losing those height pixels. It's been 2 months and I'm still not use to my Chrome windows being that much shorter.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Good thing I went from 1024x768 straight to 1920x1080.. so I don't even know what I am missing :smug:

I also run 1680x1050. So it can display 720p fine, just with a few black bars. Not a big deal. I really doubt most people in this day and age into games have a monitor smaller than 1280x720. Vertical space is awesome, so whenever possible for my computer monitor, I will be sticking with 16:10.

sea I have the Dell WA2009A, which is an IPS panel, and it has no lag and could be had a couple years ago for < $250. Basically, I'm never going back to TN. Sadly, it's no longer made, unfortunately, and I don't know which model, if any, has replaced it. Just a thought.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sadly, it's no longer made, unfortunately, and I don't know which model, if any, has replaced it.

I'm prolly buying a TN 'cause I'm a cheap bastard but during my research of what screen to buy I found lots of IPS Dell models matching your description.

1920x1200 IPS :obviously:
I still miss CRTs. Even the bestest LCDs suck ass compared to that viewing angle and colour-rich goodness. But noo, fuckers wanted more space on their desks. :x

DraQ

Arcane
Haven't we had HD screens for over ten years already?
One would think the novelty would have worn off by now, but no, not with backwards consolefag luddites constantly going "hai guise we just discovered teh wheel bet ur jelly lololo". No, we're not jelly. It's like yesterday when you tried to awe me with your discovery of fire. Fucking hunchback troglodytes flailing about in front of their primitive toys.
:roll:

Sitting in front my oldish LCD monitor hooked to my new desktop right now, 1280x1024. My other comp is a laptop with 1366x768 widescreen. Widescreen is nice for stuff like FPS, but I find the limited "HD" 768 vertical resolution a bit crippling.
:obviously:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
2560x1440

Native resolution not playable in new games, my pc isnt good enough.

Scale down to something like 1600 equivalent

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom