Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Neverwinter Nights 2 (and expansions)

laclongquan

Arcane
The companions in NWN 2 OC are pretty much like the companions found in jRPGs : you can't tell them to fuck off. But at least, jRPGs don't use pointless dialogue options to give the false impression that you have any say in the matter.

I think the NWN 2 companion I disliked most was Shandra. She's not quite as cliché as some of the others, but the fact that she suddenly became a mega-important obligatory companion really annoyed me. Also, she completely let me down during the trial simply because I hadn't sucked up to her previously.

You get to drop them off at the Inn if that's your preference.

Shandra is my favourite also. But that's because she's a well-endowed blonde. Plus she's pretty handy with my shortsword.

Tigranes

Arcane
Soooo... the fact that you nearly got raped by what is pretty much a tutorial filler encounter shows that this ain't entirely popamole bullshit, no? :M

I never understood why anyone would play NWN or NWN2 with party AI turned on. Someone gives you a RTwP party-based tactical D&D RPG, and then you decide to run around and try and play it like it's The Witcher? Really? Despite the fucked up collision rules in Aurora NWN2 combat works pretty well in high difficulties.

Really shows how awful the first bits are, though. I think it gets slightly better once you're in Neverwinter, but still pretty boring till Act 2.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Fair point. I've been playing it on Core 3.5 Difficulty and thus far this has been the second fight that actually required any sort of tactics (the first being the fight in the Swamp, and I presume the boss fight with the Lizards would have too if I hadn't fought the good fight with my voice) and I wasn't really paying attention. Is it worth putting the difficulty up to the next (and highest) difficulty? All it says it does is increase NPC damage to 200% which seems like a cheap way to make it more difficult.

Cassidy

Arcane
Oh shit, shit, shit. I just let everyone do their own thing like I normally do, which tends to work out fine and suddenly this encounter fucks me up hard, oh shit. I can’t be dying to a Neverwinter Nights 2 encounter, fuck. My manhood is diminishing by the second.

8.jpg

Oh god damn it all to hell. I noticed at this point El- I mean, Stalker Druid’s animal companion was still up, so I go into an ancient and secret tactic, passed done from generation to generation upon the slopes of Kilyaru. Kiting like a bitch.

Deja Vu.

I think that when you force yourself to play through something you hate you'll end performing poorly than what should be normal for even an average gamer in the same game. Of course so far there are only two evidences for this theory.

*Edit:

I mean, seriously, fuck you Obsidian.

:salute:

Tigranes

Arcane
Well I tend to think that NWN2 combat can be reasonably enjoyable if you treat it like a watered down version of IE combat (presuming one likes IE combat, that is). The key is to (a) not rely on retarded AI which just makes everything into a crapfest, (b) not rest after every fight just because you can. I think that's more significant than the difficulty.

In any case, NWN2 combat is sometimes terrible, but not for the reasons you think. (A certain warehouse...)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nothing like bringing Qara along just to speed warehouse cleaning up. Despite her shitty personality, and all that.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm loving this LP, you managed to perfectly articulate why I fucking hated the NWN2 OC (though I loved MotB). I thought the exact same thing about the companions, particularly how they acted like retarded 12 year olds and were forced upon you for no good reason. I still can't believe Avellone wrote this shit.

Seriously, please keep this up - this stuff is great.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Shorter update than usual today, I am feeling lazy and really didn’t want to do this whole thing in one update.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.jpg

Remember Highcliff and the ship to Neverwinter? You know how that is actually just one part of our objective, but it has been delayed so long due to all this other mandatory side-crap? Just putting that out there.

2.jpg

HarborMaster.jpg
: You’re risking your entire ship by going out there, Captain. Ignore me if you will, but at least listen to your own men.

Captain.jpg
: We’re leaving port right now. Nothing’s stopping this shipment to Neverwinter, especially not a pack of Lizardfolk. What’re you lot just standing there for? Bring up the sails! Man the oars!

HarborMaster.jpg
: The fool is risking a ship worth ten times the cargo he’s carrying, and for what? For the sake of a few extra gold for an early delivery.

Julian.jpg
: Why do you care? It’s his loss.

HarborMaster.jpg
: I’m responsible for making sure ships get in and out of this harbor safely. Every ship that sinks hurts my reputation, my fault or not.

Julian.jpg
: So you’re telling me there isn’t a ship I can take to Neverwinter from here?

HarborMaster.jpg
: Not if you don’t want to have to swim the rest of the way once your ship pulls out of port.

Oh now, that is just so typical. This is the kind of shit a lot of games, especially RPG’s tend to pull, in that every step of your way there is some problem that stops you from advancing, and thus you need to go and do a side mission without any relevance to the actual main plotline to keep moving forward. It is horrible design, and anyone who uses it should be ashamed of themselves.

HarborMaster.jpg
: Lizardfolk have been sabotaging anything that comes in or out of Highcliff. The Double Eagle over there’s already been repaired three times. The good captain is a fool to think he can sail out without drawing the attention of the lizards.

Dockhand.jpg
: Harbormaster, out there! Looks like the Lizardfolk have themselves another victim!

3.jpg

4.jpg

HarborMaster.jpg
: And I think we’ve all learned a lesson here. If I say it’s too dangerous to sail, it’s too dangerous to sail. All right, lads! See what you can do to help those sailors… let’s just hope the Lizardfolk let them swim ashore. Sorry, but I’ve got my hands full here. Some of the other sailors should be able to fill you in.

5.jpg

Welcome to Highcliff. I am sure that there is a plethora of side quests here, but I didn’t do them my first time playing through, and I’m sure as hell not doing them now. If there is an interesting quest to do here, someone speak up so that I can do it.

Further up the road, that group of people outside the Inn starts speaking to us.

: Well, now, what’s all this? A travelling circus?

Sailor2.jpg
: Easy, one of them’s a Harborman.

: Harborman? Like I care what a swamp farmer can do. Seems to be the making of a joke in you four… a dwarf, a tree-worshipper, a demon and a swamp smelling Harborman walk into a tavern…

I apologize for the face shots not being perfect matches, I forgot to get a shot of their face before they died. And to be fair on the sailor, adventuring parties always are completely bizarre in the people that comprise them. How inspired this game is by Baldur’s Gate is never so striking when you look at that part of it, Baldur’s Gate, or at least Baldur’s Gate 2 (the one I’ve played) had this bizarre stuff going on too.

6.jpg

Make careful note of our position firmly outside of the tavern, and the fact that I shall never enter this tavern.

Julian.jpg
: The first one to attack us, dies.

Khelgar.jpg
: Well, I don’t know about killing, but I wouldn’t mind banging some skulls together.

Elanee.jpg
: There’s no reason to fight. This is ridiculous.

Neeshka.jpg
: Too late now, we made the mistake of letting Khelgar open his mouth. Come on, let’s get this over with.

:lol: I totally just said I would KILL them if they attacked. Khelgar said he would fight back. OMG KHELGAR Y U SO ANGRY!!!!!1!!!!!1! These arguments feel so forced, they really do.

Elanee.jpg
: How often does this happen?

Neeshka.jpg
: Trust me, things were slowing down a bit before we came here… now it’s about back to normal.

I forgot to screencap combat, but we won without too much of an issue.

Khelgar.jpg
: Now, then, that was a fine bit of sport, wasn’t it?

Julian.jpg
: Taught them not to cross us again – and to watch their mouths next time.

I am morally obliged to pick the most dickhead options as a moustache twirling evil character, but this is ridiculous. They’re fucking dead. I’m sure they’ll be really careful not to cross someone again. In fact, I don’t know if you even CAN knock people unconscious in this game.

Khelgar.jpg
: Of course it did! We make a good fighting time!

Neeshka.jpg
: We didn’t need to fight, Khelgar. Next time, rein it in. It’s hard to steal from someone when they think you’re going to attack them.

1) See above
2) Can’t we just steal their shit after they’re dead?

Elanee.jpg
: If we’re done making more enemies, let’s move on.

Julian.jpg
: Moving on is a sound plan.

Khelgar.jpg
: Fine. I say we try and find another tavern… there’s bound to be more drunks needing a punch or two.

Ooh, Elanee has a very pacifistic view point. Congratulations, she advanced from so little characterization she is barely a character to, enough characterization to qualify as a character but still being ramped up to 11 on the clichés.

Around the corner we find… this guy, who we somehow know.

7.jpg

Julian.jpg
: Are you the captain of the Double Eagle?

Flinn.jpg
: Captain of a ship that can’t sail, that’s me. Here to rub salt in my wounds, are you?

Julian.jpg
: My father, Daeghun, said you could help me get to Neverwinter.

Again, another VERY minor criticism, so small I wouldn’t even expect it of a good game, but still: We have established the character doesn’t much like Daeghun, it seems kind of odd he would go around calling him his Father, when he knows for a fact he is only a foster father.

Flinn.jpg
: Daeghun, eh? Still playing farmer in that swamp village, is he? I’d be happy to grant you passage, but as you can see we’re all stuck here for now. No ships in or out of Highcliff, on account of the attacks. Which means I’ve got a shipload of cargo rotting at the docks until this mess is sorted out. And let me tell you, there’s merchants in Neverwinter who’ll have me hanging from the gallows if I can’t get my cargo there – and soon.

That’s actually funny in a sort of twisted psychotic sort of way. “Sorry my cargoes late, Lizardfolk were destroying ships and it was physically impossible to sail” “The cargo is late! Hang him from the gallows!”. Ok… so that’s not actually that funny, it seemed it at the time and in my head. First sign of growing insanity? Only time will tell.

Julian.jpg
: Who’s responsible for the attacks?

Flinn.jpg
: Lizardfolk. What in the hells they’re doing this far north is beyond me, but they’re certainly causing enough trouble. No one’s got the nerve to go after them though. Can’t say I blame them either.

Julian.jpg
: Is there anyone else I can speak to about this?

Flinn.jpg
: I don’t know – try the village elder, if you want to ask someone. He won’t be much help, at least he won’t be much help to me. But who knows, maybe you can pry something out of him. After all, you got me talkin’… and I’m not really in the mood for chatting.

I forgot to mention it earlier, but it is sort of self-explanatory. Yes, stopping the attacks is the only way to progress further in the game. Multiple paths and player freedom are for suckers.

Julian.jpg
: There must be a way to prevent the attacks.

Flinn.jpg
: Maybe if you had one of those Many-Starred Cloak mages from Neverwinter. As it is, we’re a bunch of farmers and sailors who can’t breathe in water. Maybe the lizards will get tired of messing around with this village and move on. In the meantime, you should try the local brew. Terrible stuff, but it gets the job done.

People who drink alcohol they don’t like the taste of to get drunk. Bah, I’ll never understand you people. Time to find this village elder, conveniently he is just down the road.

Elder.jpg
: Juni, please, I am doing the best I can, but we can’t risk exploring the ruins at this time.

Juni.jpg
: But where else would William have gone, Elder? You must do something!

Elder.jpg
: And what would you have me do, Juni? Sacrifice the entire village’s safety just for your husband?

Juni.jpg
: You will be to blame if William comes to any harm, Elder! I will not have my child growing up without her father!

You just can’t have a logical conversation with a distraught woman, can you?

Elder.jpg
: I understand her anger. It would be tragic if William were hurt or worse. But she must understand that I have to put the safety of the village first.

RPG Player Characters are just a magnet for other people’s problems or something, aren’t they? No one talks like this to a complete stranger.

Julian.jpg
: I want to talk to you about gaining passage on a ship to Neverwinter.

Elder.jpg
: Sadly that is the impossible right now. Every one of our ships has been damaged – none are safe for sea travel at the moment. Each time we’ve made repairs, the Lizardfolk promptly damage the ships again. Trade with Neverwinter has stopped, and without trade, this village will not have an easy winter.

Cutting of the supply lines, clever. Why is it that Lizardfolk have been the ones to show the best tactical planning thus far in the game?

Julian.jpg
: I want you to give the Double Eagle permission to leave.

Elder.jpg
: This has nothing to do with giving anyone permission. No one can sail anywhere until we’ve put a stop to these attacks.

*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

Julian.jpg
: Is there anything I can do to help?

Elder.jpg
: I would not send anyone into danger not knowing what to expect? I suspect William’s disappearance has something to do with the Lizards. But without knowing for certain, I can’t ask anyone to risk their lives.

Didn’t I just offer to help? It’s not you asking you delusional old prick.

Julian.jpg
: I’ll look into it for you.

Elder.jpg
: You certainly travel with interesting companions, so I suspect you are quite capable of handling yourself…

Neeshka.jpg
: Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?

Oh dear sweet god, no.

Khelgar.jpg
: I think we’ve just been insulted.

Elanee.jpg
: Just take it as a compliment, you two.

Elder.jpg
: I did not mean it as an insult. In fact, I assume that you are all quite remarkable individuals to be able to get past typical prejudices and band together.

Khelgar.jpg
: Oh. Well that’s all right then.

Wait, don’t you have serious issues with Neeshka because she’s a tiefling? And doesn’t Neeshka just hate you because she’s a bitch? Ah, fuck it, I don’t care anymore.

Julian.jpg
: So you won’t object if we look into things?

Elder.jpg
: If you are certain about this, then I have no objection. I think it’s safe to say that everyone in Highcliff would be very grateful if you could resolve things for us.

Yeah, I’m sure your gratitude would be you thanking me and maybe some gold and then nothing would change what-so-ever with how people around here treat me.

Julian.jpg
: Where should I start looking?

Elder.jpg
: The Lizardfolk have been concentrating their attacks on the farms outside the village… And the only farmer left is Shandra – she’s too stubborn to leave her home, even with the attacks. You could start your search with her, she may know something that could help… or you could simply wait there and ambush the Lizardfolk should they attack. Allow me to mark the location of her farm on your map.

I’m sure, based on the campaigns style and amount of freedom that I have a choice in the matter. Hey, there may even be secret options I have to work out myself!

Elder.jpg
: I wish you luck on your travels, and look forward to seeing all of you again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lousy dialogue heavy update. That ended up being a sizeable update anyways. Ah well, see y’all tomorrow

RK47

Patron
Wait here and ambush? Is that even possible?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
It doesn't get better in Act II, people just get numb, as they are wont to do when they are beaten for ten - twenty hours.

The lack of evil companions in this game wore me out. Evil's fun, but kind of ruined by babysitting school children who hoot and holler whenever you use harsh language.

RK47

Patron
Yeah. I mean KOTOR had atton as the annoying wiseguy, kreia as the lecturing hag, but none are as annoying or petty as these NWN2 party members. I think the only chars I can tolerate are probably Sand, Bishop and Casavir.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Wait here and ambush? Is that even possible?

I highly doubt it. I remember not being able to when I played it last, but I can't say for certain that there isn't a way, although with this game the odds are pretty damn low.

Stasgard

Liturgist
1.jpg

Off to Shandra’s farm, chances of being able to ambush the Lizardfolk near 0, but a slight slimmer of hope lives on.

2.jpg

Yep, that sure is a farm alright.

Khelgar.jpg
: Hnh. Looks like this is the place, but where’s…

shandrajerro.jpg
: Who are you? Did Mayne send you?

Excuse the Shandra in armour picture, I derped out and didn’t screen cap her (I do this a lot when I just want to get through shit it seems), so I “borrowed” one from Gamebanshee.

shandrajerro.jpg
: Whoever you are, you don’t look much like a farmer to me. Any reason why you’re gracing me with your presence?

Neeshka.jpg
: Is there a reason he should? You don’t look worth it.

Elanee.jpg
: Neeshka.

Neeshka.jpg
: Well, it’s just the truth. And she ASKED.

Thus begins the wonderful relationship between Elanee and Neeshka. Of all the character interplay I know of in the OC this is the one that I despise the most. Neeshka does something annoying, and Elanee disapproves, and they argue.

shandrajerro.jpg
: Maybe you all better tell me what you’re doing here. There’s been too many visitors lately, and I really don’t have the patience for it anymore.

Julian.jpg
: [Truth] The Elder asked us to come here to track down the Lizardfolk.

Those truth/lie tags are great, whoever first come up with the idea deserves some serious props.

shandrajerro.jpg
: Good, glad to hear the Elder finally got wise enough to protect the grain shipments into Highcliff before winter hits. I’ve been alone out here ever since the others abandoned their farms and took shelter in Highcliff… and I don’t know how much longer I can hold out.

Julian.jpg
: Defending this patch of land with your life doesn’t seem worth it.

shandrajerro.jpg
: You’re right about that. And if it came to that, I wouldn’t, as much as I love this place. I’m supposed to be making the merchant run through Port Llast and Ember right now, but with recent troubles… I can’t leave the farm, let alone take the trade road from Highcliff. I can’t even move my harvest into town. And if I can’t sell it, I won’t make it through the year… not to mention the towns counting on the trade. I have friends in Ember and Port Llast expecting shipments this month.

Julian.jpg
: You say the merchant road out of Highcliff is blocked? The one to Neverwinter?

shandrajerro.jpg
: It’s worse than that. I don’t know if it’s more lizardolk, but no one’s come back along that road for a while now… merchants who take it, jut vanish, wagons and all.

Goodbye potential alternate
route to Neverwinter. Not that I ever believed there was another way, but as a symbolic act, let us say farewell.
shandrajerro.jpg
: It happens so suddenly and quietly – and the bodies are never found. If you take the road, it’s the last journey you’ll make. The whole village – and even as far south as Fort Locke is being cut off. If it keeps up, we’ll starve – or worse.

Wait… what? Maybe we don’t agree on what “starve” means, but if you are dying or are going to die from not having food, what is your “worse” situation here?

Julian.jpg
: How many farms have been lost?

shandrajerro.jpg
: There were a few early on, but none lately. Most of the farms have been abandoned, before the Lizardfolk attack. No one want to be there when they strike.

Julian.jpg
: Do you know where the Lizardfolk are striking from?

shandrajerro.jpg
: No… but it must be someplace close by. At first, I thought their lair would be close to the water, but now… now I’m not so sure, and I wonder if they’ve set up a camp just for attacking the outlying farms. I doubt it’s their main lair, it’s too far from water, but I’ve seen fires up at the old ruins – it’s only been in the past few days, though, which is strange, since the Lizardfolk were attacking long before that. It’s like something’s going on up there. I haven’t been able to leave the farm long enough to tell anyone… I guess I was counting on the Elder to actually send help.

That felt like such a long conversation when I played through it, but having typed it out, it wasn’t all that long. Time to start developing my theory of game distaste and the warping of time.

Julian.jpg
: Mark the ruins on our map, and we’ll be on our way.

shandrajerro.jpg
: All right, here you go, but be careful if you go up there – you might end up stirring up more trouble for the village than helping.

3.jpg

Cutscene incompetence you old prick, we meet again.

Julian.jpg
: I just saw some Lizardfolk run through your crops.

I don’t have any idea why I found that line so funny, but I did, and still do.

shandrajerro.jpg
: What? Where did they come…

4.jpg

shandrajerro.jpg
: My barn. And the harvest… I let down my guard for a second – and they were waiting for it. Waiting until I got distracted.

Julian.jpg
: Look, you’re not safe here – you should head to Highcliff.

shandrajerro.jpg
: And I’ll be safe in Highclif? Where no ship can leave because the Lizardfolk are destroying them? This… this farm is all I have, and now that my harvest is gone and with winter coming… Look, if you’re going to help, DO it – I’m so tired of Neverwinter, and Fort Locke, and the militia and the elder and all of them promising to help us out and nothing ever HAPPENING. Just once – just this once – if you can actually do something for Highcliff, for the farmers here, it’d be long past due.

5.jpg

And that is Shandra’s Farm. The only way to end the conversation is one of two options, both leading to the exact same outcome of her farm being torched by “sneaky” Lizardfolk. Despite the game suggesting you try and ambush them, it is physically impossible to do so. Nice.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Welcome to the Ruined Castle, nothing out of the ordinary but kind of cool looking none-the-less. Up the winding path, we encounter a Lizardfolk being harassed by some zombies. We help him out and dialog engages.

Lizard.jpg
: Stay back! Slaan not fight you! Slaan must get help!

Julian.jpg
: Silence – prepare to die.

Khelgar.jpg
: This one hardly looks worth the effort – he’s wounded, don’t think it’ll be much of a fight.

Neeshka.jpg
: All the more reason to take care of him NOW, then.

Evil can be pretty fun sometimes.

8.jpg

Huh. This I was not expecting, this has improved how I feel about this part of the game considerably. Not enough to recommend it, mind, but this is good.

9.jpg

You end up on a coast path and have to fight through a few trash groups of Lizards to get to the cave, nothing to see here. You do see a caravan that was attacked by the Lizards however.

10.jpg

The party fights through a few groups and manages to achieve level up just outside the Lizard cave.

11.jpg

We head into the cave and I like how it looks. This game does caves and ruins quite well graphically I think, as generic as they all tend to be.

12.jpg

The cave is filled again with mainly filler lizard combat, and a few traps, nothing of any major interest to anyone, so I shall skip right over it and to the interesting part.

13.jpg

I will freely admit this fight kicked my ass, going into it playing as I normally do. Which is fine, this one is a boss encounter I can live with it. Much to my enjoyment the fight also beat me when I went into it tactically. After a couple of tries I ended up defeating it. No sscreenshots, I had no idea how many tries it would take and didn’t screen cap them all. However, what I did was lure them all back into a corridor, smack them with a Call Lightning from Elanee, had her go Bear form and then spammed heals.

With the Lizardfolk dead, heading back to the village, and hopefully a ship to Neverwinter is the next step.

Elder.jpg
: Have you any new regarding the Lizardfolk?

Julian.jpg
: I’ve killed the Lizardfolk chieftain. The attacks should stop now.

Elder.jpg
: We must ensure the Lizardfolk do not return. I will gather the men and lead an attack on their lair to drive away any who remain.

Julian.jpg
: Try not to get killed. Now, I have a ship to catch…

The game then fades to black and teleports you to the docks of Highcliff with the Elder in front of you.

Elder.jpg
: Ah, there you are. We took up a collection here in the village and have a surprise for you. There’s enough there to pay for your passage to Neverwinter. It’s not a lot, but you’ve done so much that we had to find some way to show our appreciation. I’d also like you to have this armour. It’s been in our village for generations, and hasn’t seen much action. I thought you might be able to put it to better use.

Julian.jpg
: This is the best you could do?

Elder.jpg
: I’m afraid so. We are not a wealthy people, but we do what we can. Humble rewards from a grateful village. Now, I believe you have a ship to board. Safe travels to you.

Julian.jpg
: Yes, it’s time to continue on to Neverwinter.

Khelgar.jpg
: Ehh… my stomach’s already started churning. How long is this trip.

Elanee.jpg
: Oh be quiet, Khelgar. Enjoy the waves while you can

Neeshka.jpg
: I’ll say. And it’ll be nice to travel without being hunter for once.

I will be forever grateful that I don’t have to listen to these people while on the trip to Neverwinter.

14.jpg

15.jpg

The first voice here is a female one coming from the glow.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
DUN DUN DUNNNNN!

This game really is quite poorly written. I approve of being able to kill Slaan to avoid the dungeon--I didn't, but assumed that if you killed him, you'd still have to reach his clanmates in the dungeon behind him and extort/beat/trick the location out of them. On the other hand... A poorly written map leading exactly where you want to go on the first lizard guy you see? Are you kidding, devs?

RK47

Patron
It's fine. It lets him skip the awful crypt.
I like that . But the amount of stuff that the player get to see without being there kinda suck.

githyanki meet / mysterious murderer reveal wasn't necessary

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
It would've been a good opportunity to give the player the option to put some of those non-combat skills or even grey matter to use figuring out where it might be... And failure would lead to being forced to endure the crypt section.

TNO

Augur
I'm going to bump this, although I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone LPs this for the sake of their own sanity.

On a related note, my review hasn't died with the old forum, and is new (here). Watching the first chapters is a trip down memory lane, and not in a good way. It does get better later on, but there is *tons* of tedium when you get to neverwinter.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Seeing that Lord Dalren cinematic reminds me of what a bizarre cluster of plot-lines NWN 2 campaign was.

Warlock Ammon Jerro. King of Shadows. Githzerai or Githyanki. Shard bearer. Orcs. Sandra Jerro. Lizardmen. Guards and thieves. Castles and sieges. And then there is each single companion that assists that "Kalach-Cha".

Perhaps it is hypocritical of me to complain, since I was also a fan of Betrayal at Krondor, another cluster of plotlines and half-related quests. But Neverwinters Nights 2 had such a strange cluster of things happenings that I avoided or delayed many sidequests. One problem at a time!

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
And that's why diplomacy has it's uses in this game: You can skip the whole lizardmen content. All of it.

Monocause

Arcane
My tips to increase enjoyment of NWN2 combat:

- Set spellcasting behaviour to "off"
- Set "guard master" to "off"
- Set "knockdown" to "off"
- Set the "back away" behaviour for your mages and archers
- Tap "Q" as "select all party members". It acts as a toogle.
- Tap "E" as mouselook.
- Learn to alternate between usage of exploration mode and strategy mode (set the strategy mode to free cam)
- When exploring a dungeon or facing a more difficult fight remember to turn off the party AI.

Right now I'm playing through the OC with a scythe-wielding tiefling rogue/wizard (to be developed as arcane trickster/eldritch knight) and having a blast. The interface, camera and combat system are kinda clunky but when you learn to use them properly it becomes quite an IWDish experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom