Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

Omicron

Scholar
... making the wrong choice won't cut out a piece of content for you like Fallout 3 and New Vegas so infamously did.
:retarded:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not trying to piss in your cereal - maybe this game will be okay - but that IGN review is pretty terribly written.

Like every IGN review, come to think of it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That review is from the same jerk who wrote what I copypasted earlier, I don't trust him.
Such a plot has incredible depth,
fantasy fans will find plenty to love.
Amalur totes an impressive story penned by one of the great fantasy authors of our time, and it takes place in a fantastic fictional world. It’s complex and hard to follow at times, though.
All those words? Completely untrustworthy.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Well, dumb review or not. I played the demo, and while the whole world design etc. was kinda generic, I liked the combat system, the sneaking, and the way you can develop your character. Plus no fucking bro-mances and other faggy stuff. Rolston & Co. stay true to their old-school shit at least.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Even though there's no piracy on consoles, there are torrents of the 360 version of Reckoning, 4 days before the official release date.

lol Wut? All my consoles are modded - haven't paid for a console game in years.

My 360 version of this game is on it's way as we speak. It'll go on my 1TB external USB drive with all the others.

Once you mod your consoles, piracy is much easier than even on PC, as essentially all games are DRM free (i.e. no cracks required).

EDIT: Oh, I see - my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. :roll:

Stinger

Arcane
Fuck off, why is this IGN guy already calling GOTY this early on in the year.

Does IGN just call GOTY over every game they play with moderate hype?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Fuck off, why is this IGN guy already calling GOTY this early on in the year.

Does IGN just call GOTY over every game they play with moderate hype?

No I believe they do it only when they receive a sufficiently large paycheck

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
For bros and comrades who completed the demo. Will be it worth atleast pirating for storyfag who liked FNV? If this is more mech than first few hours of Skyrim which was good for what it was (hiking simulator with breathtaking scenery and decent art direction) I won't waste Potatoes and/or bandwith.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I have no comparison with Skyrim as a never played any TES game, but if you like something like DA:O (minus dwarve secks and typical Biowarian bullshit) with Fable graphics and better combat you might get an idea of Amalur.

MaroonSkein

Augur
For bros and comrades who completed the demo. Will be it worth atleast pirating for storyfag who liked FNV? If this is more mech than first few hours of Skyrim which was good for what it was (hiking simulator with breathtaking scenery and decent art direction) I won't waste Potatoes and/or bandwith.
I liked the premise behind the House of Ballads: a bunch of elven LARPers recreates the deeds of great heroes because they believe in reincarnation and cyclic history. Otherwise, the story side seems to be pretty forgettable. It's certainly a game for combatfags.

Tigranes

Arcane
Combat is pretty boring and feels like a single player MMO for the most part. Or a Gothic with no AI and no difficulty. The only question is whether it gets better when you level up a bit, but that would either require a massive incline in enemy design, or you just really liking stringing combos against helpless critters.

sser

Arcane
Developer
My interest in this has gone up a bit. Maybe it's just me lapping about in a dinghy hoping for some game to save me from this shitty sea of mediocrity.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've been playing the full version for the last couple of days. I doubt I can have a full review ready in time for launch considering the size of the game (probably 100-150 hours), and I don't know how much I can talk about (not sure about any embargo terms but I'd rather be safe than sorry). However, a few quick (mostly technical) impressions without going into any spoilers/details:

- The bugs are fixed. I have encountered maybe one or two at most. The biggest problem on PC are periodic crashes, which could be either my system or the game, but hopefully that will be improved with patches. As far as stability and polish go it's one of the better RPGs I've played recently.

- It gets harder. The first couple areas are nice and easy but once you start facing off against tough enemies like trolls fairly regularly, the game goes into ass-kicking mode. Button-mashing will get you stunlocked to death and blocking, dodging, parrying, using skills etc. are essential to survival. It's not exactly Gothic but there is definitely challenge in appropriate places.

- The PC controls, FOV and camera have not been improved in the retail build, but the developers are reportedly working on a patch based on community feedback. The UI is also pretty bad and has seen very few if any improvements since the demo. Inventory management is straight-up annoying, and given the focus on loot you'll be doing a lot of it.

Overall I'm having a lot of fun with it. The game is simple in a lot of ways, but in not trying too hard to be anything other than a lighthearted action RPG with good combat, it doesn't set the bar so high to trip over it. Just don't go in expecting too much depth. I can't recommend it to everyone, but it's probably the most fun I've had with a game of this type in at least a year or two - any complaints I can think of come down more to style than anything else.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Should be obvious to anyone who cares, but the unofficial version of KoA is out. A semi-working crack is also out there, though apparently the rock troll is unbeatable ? Anyway, sounds like a perfect opportunity to demo the game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It feels like a wierd mix between Fable II and WoW that just doesn't gel together that well and somehow loses all the positives from these games. Dunno, I can see some nice aspects but quickly grew very, very tired of the game. Mediocre at best.

Angthoron

Arcane
I've been playing the full version for the last couple of days. I doubt I can have a full review ready in time for launch considering the size of the game (probably 100-150 hours), and I don't know how much I can talk about (not sure about any embargo terms but I'd rather be safe than sorry). However, a few quick (mostly technical) impressions without going into any spoilers/details:

- The bugs are fixed. I have encountered maybe one or two at most. The biggest problem on PC are periodic crashes, which could be either my system or the game, but hopefully that will be improved with patches. As far as stability and polish go it's one of the better RPGs I've played recently.

- It gets harder. The first couple areas are nice and easy but once you start facing off against tough enemies like trolls fairly regularly, the game goes into ass-kicking mode. Button-mashing will get you stunlocked to death and blocking, dodging, parrying, using skills etc. are essential to survival. It's not exactly Gothic but there is definitely challenge in appropriate places.

- The PC controls, FOV and camera have not been improved in the retail build, but the developers are reportedly working on a patch based on community feedback. The UI is also pretty bad and has seen very few if any improvements since the demo. Inventory management is straight-up annoying, and given the focus on loot you'll be doing a lot of it.

Overall I'm having a lot of fun with it. The game is simple in a lot of ways, but in not trying too hard to be anything other than a lighthearted action RPG with good combat, it doesn't set the bar so high to trip over it. Just don't go in expecting too much depth. I can't recommend it to everyone, but it's probably the most fun I've had with a game of this type in at least a year or two - any complaints I can think of come down more to style than anything else.

sea, what version, if any, requires Origin? There's the obvious Steam and boxed options, and I'm wondering which of them has that spyware bundled with it.

Data4

Arcane
What's the word on the game world? Does it open up, or is the whole thing a series of indoor/outdoor corridors like the demo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom