Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rip off from BGT, make my words. Meanwhile, if they ACTUALLY CODE something; TobEx will not work with the new executable - hopefully they fix all the bugs that fixed and and the features it introduced.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Bros you need to expand your horizons,,,, IE is coming back! Lets see how IE looks in 2012. Do you know what that means?

Obsidian and MCA get their hands on new IE and we get Torment 2 and Icewind Dale 3 on IE.

With wasteland 2 coming we have 97-2000 year all over again in RPG gaming. :yeah:

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm trying to be optimistic. This Trent Oster guy even alludes to a Baldur's Gate 3 with the new Infinity Engine. If the scenario Syril talks about comes true it would be :incline:.

But yeah, it probably won't.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually, some of the things Oster is talking about on Twitter are making me start to feel a bit of optimism towards this project.

Specifically that they are going "2d Isometric all the way" and *not* going for full voice acting.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Their website wouldn't look out of place in the times of ArpaNET.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unfortunately it looks like it'll be a Beamdog exclusive (whatever that is... I'm told it's some online store/platform like Steam) according to this.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
While the enhancent on the engine/graphics can be good, I have no hopes for the new content they are adding. Chrono Trigger DS had "new content from people from the original team", and what we got? Unbalanced gamebreaking weapons, pointless minigames, and THE worst fedex quest any game ever had.

Also, I don't thrust this arrogant douchebag that suddenly believes he is responsible for everything good that BioWare ever did, and worse, wants to shovel his shitty DRM filled "Beamdog" down peoples throat using Baldur's Gate.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know what to make out of this. On the one hand, BG1 and 2 are two of my all time favourite RPGs (yeah, screw the haters), and I already own the best version of those games: the original games with widescreen mods. Although they need some improvement, because BG1 with the widescreen mod has some issues on Win 7. On the other hand, I'm curious what they mean by enhancing. I fear they will screw up the graphis and/or the soundtrack and voiceovers. I like those games as they are, I don't want them ruined.

I will probably keep an eye on the project, but the end product needs to be some pretty good stuff, otherwise I will stick to the originals.

waywardOne

Arcane
Of all the games to "enhance", the BG series is far down the list.

You know who else had even more of the original dev team? Bioware, when they made NWN, and outside of a great toolset, that game sucked complete ass in every category: graphics, mechanics, plot, etc. So who gives a flying fuck they've got some, too.

What is there to enhance? Mods and user patches already make it playable on modern OS's with modern cards; if you're having problems you cannot into readmes.

No, this will suck utter dick. This will be the equivalent of taking a classic song and letting Timbaland rape it with nu-beats.

DemonKing

Arcane
Given that the original games still look good and are very playable today (ok - maybe beefing up the resolution and making them widescreen would help), I can't say this appeals much.

My one hope is that it is successful enough to allow new content/games to be developed utilising the same engine.

communard

Arcane
I really find it very hard to care about this having played and replayed the Baldur's Gate series so many times. Honestly this just feels like a quick way to grab some cash off neckbeards on a perpetual nostalgia trip. Is some actual new stuff too much to ask? This endless rehashing in gaming overall is getting pretty fucking tiresome. Well, at least we got Wasteland 2.

The more I think about it the more I ask what they can actually do with this project. The graphics are still beautiful and there are already wide screen mods, the sound was always amazing, and I find it hard to believe they'll be able to fix the problems with combat in the Infinity Engine since most of those stem from the fact that it's not turn based. So what's the point?

Castanova

Prophet
This could really go either way. I can't really imagine what kind of "enhancements" they could possibly make to the game, though, besides the graphics. Or are they just hoping to add 1-2 hours of sidequests and selling it for $20 or something?

jewboy

Arbiter
Of all the things they could update, why the graphics? How about an actual sequel or sequel-in-spirit to BG2? Maybe they can't actually call it "Baldur's Gate" but so what? Biowhore should have just kept making sequels to BG2, the only decent game they've ever made. The BG2 graphics are just fine. Even the dragons looked good. What I want to see is a new story. Maybe even get Chris Avellone to write it for them. Now that this kickstarter thing has happend I hope we see more indie groups like Iron Tower. The best the mega publishers can manage for us is updated graphics. Ugh.

Don't really see the point. If anything warranted an update, it would be the rules, upping it to 4th ed. Still, it's not like this is bad news either.

While the enhancent on the engine/graphics can be good, I have no hopes for the new content they are adding. Chrono Trigger DS had "new content from people from the original team", and what we got? Unbalanced gamebreaking weapons

It's like DLC, but already on the game! Revolutionary! :bounce:

edit: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-arrives-this-summer/

Now for HD remakes of Fallout 1/2 and I can die happy. :)
Ah, to relive the good old days of 90s PC gaming.

The best way to relive the good old days is with a coat of modern days' paint.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
If they can somehow make the pathfinding functional, I'd probably even buy it.*

*Not really, but it's the thought that counts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom