Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian got fucked by Bethesda

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The problem with Obsiidian is their porjects are so hit and miss and publishers are wary of such risks. yeha, NWN2, KOTOR2, and espciially FO:NV were all bonafide hits but then you have games like AP and DS3 which were just horrishit both review and financial wise. Not to mention their now 2 and counting canceled projects.

I mean, BIO is accused of 'falling' when their games sell 2mil+ in the first month while Obsidian is lucky to reach 1mil(FO:NV being exception to the rule).

No wonder publishers are scared shitless working with them despite FO:NV's success which we know that despite it's quality is based largely on Bethesda and FO3.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Wait, what's the Chris Avellone tweet you guys are talking about? The Metacritic 85 score? Is that really that controversial? I think several people, including Sawyer, posted that same thing on Something Awful a while ago.

Also I live like a mile from the Bethesda office (I went there when Arena came out!!). I'll drive by and shake my fist at them or something.

RogueZombie

Educated
Hey Guys,

It's me Anthony Davis. I don't have my old account anymore after the dark time when RPG Codex went down or got moved.

I don't really have anything to add to this discussion. Instead I thought I would talk to about my favorite scene from Empire Strikes Back. You remember when Han and Leia go to visit Lando on Cloud City - and then Lando surprises them by having Darth Vader there. I love that line where Darth Vader says regarding the deal Lando had with him, "Pray I don't alter it any further", referring to the deal.

Yeah, that was great.

Good to see you guys are back up and running again!

You see. The deal got altered. That's what made this such a brilliant scene.

Anyway, that's totally unrelated to this thread... totally.

I'm glad to see some support for Obsidian here, even if it is fleeting. You guys cast a faint blue light on the dark caverns of my heart.

Wait, what's the Chris Avellone tweet you guys are talking about? The Metacritic 85 score? Is that really that controversial? I think several people, including Sawyer, posted that same thing on Something Awful a while ago.

Sawyer posts on SA under a nickname, Avellone used his twitter. Considering how cartoonishly shady the "Metacritic clause" sounds, no wonder they don't want him talking about it.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
6 million? Next thing I know someone will claim it is 8mil then 19mil then 24 mil. LMFAO

http://www.ggsgamer.com/2010/11/08/bethesda-announce-record-sales-figures-for-fallout-new-vegas/

The follow-up to 2008′s Game of the Year Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas has exceeded all expectations, shifting an incredible five million retail copies at launch.
Factoring in a huge number of digital downloads from online stores, New Vegas has made an estimated $300 million and, as if that wasn’t enough good news, the New Vegas strategy guide – a staggering 500,000 words, making it longer than the original version of War and Peace – is among Amazon’s books department’s best sellers.
Bethesda Softworks president Vlatko Andonov is understandably ecstatic with the results.
In a press release sent out today he said, “We are delighted by the reception Fallout: New Vegas has received from fans around the world. Despite the large launch quantities for this title, we have already received substantial re-orders from our retail partners, underscoring the tremendous popularity of this highly entertaining game. We believe Fallout: New Vegas will be the “must buy” title for gamers throughout the holiday season.”
In spite of early technical issues, reviews for New Vegas have been very positive. Eurogamer and Official Xbox Magazine agreed on a glowing 9 out of 10, while The Guardian awarded the game a perfect score of 5 out of 5.

Sort of ironic. From Nov 8, 2010

I like how it talks about it receiving glowing reviews.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Damn. They must have been in dire straights (or have really shitty business acumen) to agree to a deal like that.

This make me want to go ahead and buy DS3 instead of waiting for a sale.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fucking evil cunts.That truly is low what Bethesda has done. For just one measly percentage point on Metacritic that they probably skewed anyway as it's so convenient? Altered deals and other shady shit? The hell if I ever buy a Bethesda game ever again. Last one was Morrowind anyway...

Shit post 15,994 with the same tired lie of DA2 sales

Just, just fuck off and die somewhere. Capisi?

hiver

And all it took is someone from bethesda to go over there and lower the rating.

Also I live like a mile from the Bethesda office (I went there when Arena came out!!). I'll drive by and shake my fist at them or something.
How about throwing in some tear gas?

Hey Guys,

It's me Anthony Davis. I don't have my old account anymore after the dark time when RPG Codex went down or got moved.

I don't really have anything to add to this discussion. Instead I thought I would talk to about my favorite scene from Empire Strikes Back. You remember when Han and Leia go to visit Lando on Cloud City - and then Lando surprises them by having Darth Vader there. I love that line where Darth Vader says regarding the deal Lando had with him, "Pray I don't alter it any further", referring to the deal.

Yeah, that was great.

Good to see you guys are back up and running again!

I'm glad to see some support for Obsidian here, even if it is fleeting. You guys cast a faint blue light on the dark caverns of my heart.

:salute:

catfood

AGAIN
Jews gonna jew, watcha gonna do?

I kinda feel sorry for Obsidian to be honest. I mean yeah they're the ones who agreed to sign this sort of deal but would they have signed it if they had a choice? If I were Wyrmload I'd say that Bethesda has no fault in this and that they are just a publisher who's out to make some bucks, but the fact is that it's hard not to be pissed at them at this moment. I mean, the game sold very well and it also got good scores (-1 point notwithstanding), wouldn't it make sense to reward Obsidian with some well deserved royalties for a job well done? Bethpizda was probably hoping this would happen. In the worst case scenario they wouldn't have signed a contract again, and in the best case scenario Obsidian would have been in deep financial problems that they would be willing to sign any kind of deal.

Now, Obisidian's track record isn't stellar by any means but I wouldn't want to see them go. We don't know any details yet but I beth Zionmax is pissed. What's worse is this might deter other publishers from working with Obsidian again. I think it was a horrible mistake for MCA to tweet that. The fact that Bethpizda did not want to comment on the issue is telling.

Stinger

Arcane
6 million? Next thing I know someone will claim it is 8mil then 19mil then 24 mil. LMFAO

But the important thing is that it's still more credible than claiming Dragon Age 2 seld oVAr 2 millon nd Mass Effect 2 wa sa smosh hit moran Roofles!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Now, Obisidian's track record isn't stellar by any means but I wouldn't want to see them go. We don't know any details yet but I beth Zionmax is pissed. What's worse is this might deter other publishers from working with Obsidian again. I think it was a horrible mistake for MCA to tweet that. The fact that Bethpizda did not want to comment on the issue is telling.

Fuck publishers. :mad: Sure, it might be bad for Feargus's aspirations in the short term but Obsidian could survive as a smaller dev on digital distribution, which allows them to experiment more with their games too.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

So the truth was that Obsidian didn't sign up for such a bullshit deal at the start, but instead had it altered after the fact? Is that even legal? Probably not but I wouldn't have fancied Obsidian's chances against Bethesda's army of lawyers. They'd just drag it on until Obsidian couldn't afford to fight, then do a settlement for some pathetic sum that wouldn't make up for the financial loss.

Oh and WE DO SUPPORT OBSIDIAN! Shitty Volourn's gonna Volourn though...

But the important thing is that it's still more credible than claiming Dragon Age 2 seld oVAr 2 millon nd Mass Effect 2 wa sa smosh hit moran Roofles!

The idiot just takes the 'sold in' figure as the actual sales figure. The fact that EABioware haven't trumpeted any 'million copies sold' milestones unlike every other game pretty much tells all.

Stinger

Arcane
moran u r fukkin dumb fukin don tu see that BIo and EA have sold billions of copes?! UNlike AP and DS3 and SoZZY which are the fukkin worst games evar and fukkin flops.

Roofles!

NewFag

Educated
So if games don't hit 88 miles per hour, they're considered flops and no one gets paid? Well fuck that.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
At first I thought my rage was due to being drunk, but I was wrong. I'm sober now and nothing has changed. I will hereby devote my life to ruining those fuckers. I will fail of course, but my attempts at least place me on Kodexian highgrounds. :salute:
Jesus, what a wussie. If you want to devote your life to it; how hard can it be to move to Bethesda and observe them for 1 or 2 years (like Thane Krios did on Illium) noting their every schedule and behaviour pattern and then sniper them down?

hiver

You guys are missing this part a bit:

"Pray I don't alter it any further"

It could have been even worse and nothing Obsidian could have done about it.

And then you remember how buggy the game was when it went out.... and all those "reviews" braying and braying about how buggy it is....

Even so, Feargus management doesnt strike me as optional... all that wanting to be in the top league, big development studio... at least it seems so.
Ok, nobody is perfect but dammit...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here's what should have happened 2 years ago.

1) Pirate FNV
2) Send MCA money directly with the message "I want to give you the money. Fuck Bethesda. Also you're very dreamy."
3) Get many people to do the same.
4) ????
5) TORMENT 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom