Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian got fucked by Bethesda

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I didn't know Beth could be such an asshole publisher.

No shit, this was completely obvious for a long time - ever since the release of Dark Corners of the Earth, to be specific. Not only did that game have absolutely no patch support whatsoever, despite being quite buggy, but IIRC it was also rushed as hell, and had some more wacky publishing quirks that I don't remember now.

hiver

Yeah... i did the first on the list, to demo it. Thought about buying but suspected and then heard all of the money is going to bethesda turds...

Obsidian will surely have my support if they do any kickstarter project for something sensible.

meh

Educated
I rage at the fact that the FNV was "buggy". Look at your fucking piece of shit 95++ f3 first.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Indeed, nothing of value is lost if Doom 4 is cancelled

Morkar Left

The whole gaming industry seems to be only a gigantic marketing circle-jerk nowadays. If someone thought the 90's were already disapointing with its bought gamereviews - oh was he wrong!
It really seems marketing and koticks have completely taken over and bought the whole gaming media, too. Now they have formed together a nice mould they can wallow in and furiously jerking at each other while crowdcontrolling the kids (and some retarded adults). Good job, guys. You didn't took long to come so far. Some industries needed centuries to reach such decadent structures.:salute:

I'm really done with gaming besides the indie scene and some small publishers who are still catering to its customers.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
And all it took is someone from bethesda to go over there and lower the rating.

Wait, what's the Chris Avellone tweet you guys are talking about? The Metacritic 85 score? Is that really that controversial? I think several people, including Sawyer, posted that same thing on Something Awful a while ago.

Also I live like a mile from the Bethesda office (I went there when Arena came out!!). I'll drive by and shake my fist at them or something.
How about throwing in some tear gas?
How about not fucking around and using mustard gas?

hiver

"Bethpizda" :lol:

I'll remember that.
Yeah... i wonder do they know what it means :lol:

How about not fucking around and using mustard gas?
What they really need is someone kicking the living shit out of them... "they" being some zenimax board parasites. And then dosing them in mustard gas and applying generous electroshocks to the balls...
Allegorically speaking, of course.
but lets just leave it at that.

As for Obsidian, its easy to sit here and talk about how they should take on less projects at once yada, yada...
But what they should really do is try damn hard to get out of publisher run business, thats for sure.

roll-a-die

Magister
Holy shit, just got the babby to sleep, so I'm going to try and write a post before it wakes up crying at me to do something.

So, Metacritic sucks because of review sites that give a rating out of 5.

Because it's a mean review aggregation site, with a 100% score, that 4 becomes 80, that 3 becomes 60, that 2 a 40 and that 1 turns 20. So while 4 becomes 80, in practice most sites use it as a "this isn't quite the best around, in other words, an 85% to 90% score." No as a flat score, the benefits of a 5 points scoring system is that it makes the words in the review matter by tightening the scores. So in terms of modern games jornylizm a 5 represents 90-100, and that 4 represents 80-90 that 3 represents a 70-80, and oh wait the scale stops there. Let's not even get into reviews that don't give a score, where they actually have people to basically guestimate a score, because hey, it's metacritic and they can get away with that.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It would be funny if Bethesda placed an order of protection on me because I was LARPing on Codex.
:dance:
:hearnoevil:

Morkar Left

Because it's a mean review aggregation site, with a 100% score, that 4 becomes 80, that 3 becomes 60, that 2 a 40 and that 1 turns 20. So while 4 becomes 80, in practice most sites use it as a "this isn't quite the best around, in other words, an 85% to 90% score." No as a flat score, the benefits of a 5 points scoring system is that it makes the words in the review matter by tightening the scores. So in terms of modern games jornylizm a 5 represents 90-100, and that 4 represents 80-90 that 3 represents a 70-80, and oh wait the scale stops there. Let's not even get into reviews that don't give a score, where they actually have people to basically guestimate a score, because hey, it's metacritic and they can get away with that.

That's why this zealots need to learn to adapt to metacritic. If they can't get in line some publishers will probably suggest (maybe after metacritic suggested it to the publishers) that they change their scoring system. Otherwise it could probably affect the advertisement. Unification allows better circlejerking :bounce: and therefore better ways for profit in a reliable and controllable manner.

xemous

Arcane
planescape torment is a boring game. bethesdas fallout 3 was superior to new vegas

Last edited:

roll-a-die

Magister
obsidian has never made a good game. all of their games were terrible. mca is a fraud. planescape torment is a boring game. bethesdas fallout 3 was superior to new vegas. i couldn't even finish new vegas it was that bad.
I heard a bad man touched you Timmy, show us on the doll where mister Obsidian touched you, mmmkay.

GOD DAMN IT SNIPED.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
obsidian has never made a good game. all of their games were terrible. mca is a fraud. planescape torment is a boring game. bethesdas fallout 3 was superior to new vegas. i couldn't even finish new vegas it was that bad.
1/10

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Funny how that MCA tweet and all the ensuing butthurt and internet drama will pretty much guarantee Obsidian will never get to do another Fallout game.
Does it matter ?? It's not like they earn a lot with it anyway right ? Besides, who needs Fallout sequels anymore when we're getting Wasteland :) But seriously, OBS has come to a fork in the road, while in the distance the tolling of a great bell could be heard. They can choose the path of incline, with possible self destruction a la Troika, or the path of decline - becoming heroes of old that have lost their glory a la Molyneaux.

Also, am I in some hybrid state that only I can see Anthony's posts about this, people add one and one together it's not that hard for the monocled.The Metacritic thingie was probably added in later on. After having talked everything over on the assumption that there would be a part of the profit from sales for OBS but at last minute oh we will make it dependent on metacritic 85+ but hey don't worry guys we got your back, see what we did with FO3, 95 for the win, am I right? What, you not confident in your game, MCA? Yeah, that'h what I thought :) sign here, please :troll:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys stop overreacting. Bethesda is smarter than Obsidian, tough for Obsidian. Money well spent on lawyers.

Mortmal

Arcane
iI makes sense, they do good games , therefore they get punished for it. They really are treated as second rate developpers, 85 on metacritic for a bonus ? Skyrim , oblivion got more because the reviewers were bought , same things for mas effect 3 obviously, they could have bought 100% score for new vegas too. Now obsidian guys , do the right thing, arcanum 2 or some alien new setting with turn based combat and plenty of chocies and consequences on kickstarter, youll get my money!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Arcanum 2 + MCA writing + Sawyer combat mechanics =:yeah: ( who owns Arcanum anyway? Tim Cain?)

Deleted member 7219

Yeah so it looks like Fallout 4 will be developed by Bethesda and not Obsidian.

Fallout 3 was ok but it wasn't a real Fallout game. New Vegas was, however, and in my opinion the best of all of them. A real shame. Quality means nothing any more.

Kz3r0

Arcane
We don't know any details yet but I beth Zionmax is pissed. What's worse is this might deter other publishers from working with Obsidian again. I think it was a horrible mistake for MCA to tweet that. The fact that Bethpizda did not want to comment on the issue is telling.
If pleasing them bankrupts you what's the point?
There are many possibilities here, MCA acted against his best judgment out of rage, or maybe Obsidian is going under and he doesn't give a fuck about maintaining good relationships, or it's possible that the South Park game is not only a do or die deal for them but also a shift in business practice, meaning that from now on they wouldn't rely on certain publishers anymore, and no, this doesn't mean that they are going the Fargo's way, more probably they will go the iPhone, iPad, Facebook way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom