Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: The Banner Saga, 2D Turn-Based Strategy RPG

meeneque

Liturgist
Codex 2013 Wasteland 2
Oh dear, Oh dear...
I spent all my reserves on Wasteland.
Got to borrow some monies from mobsters.
KoDP >> Bioware heritage

Chewbot

Developer
Hello again! As some of you have guessed we've been buried by an avalanche of emails, but that doesn't mean we aren't reading comments. In fact, we've just added a new prize option at $50 for people who just want the poster with no signatures (and the game, of course). Before you ask, we unfortunately can't do a version without the game logo- once we start having multiple versions of the same poster it gets more expensive for us to print than it's worth.

Thanks!

jewboy

Arbiter
They worked on The Old Republic, the MMO, not KotOR, smart guy. Reading Comprehension grade: F.

Yeah I did miss that. I don't pay attention to MMOGs. I just saw Old Republic and thought of KOTOR.

Not to break up your little circle jerk party, but are you all Biodrones or something? Is the Old Republic the first non-shitty MMORPG? They are clearly a part of the new Biowhore. Not the old Baldur's Gate + NWN Bioware. Maybe I've missed the love for MMOGs here.

So Jorgenson was a concept artist for some gay, newbiowhore WoW-in-space. John Watson was a "sub-lead gameplay programmer", whatever that is. Alex Thomas worked on environmental art.

With 30 years experience between us in the games industry, and after working as leads on The Old Republic; one of the biggest projects in gaming history, we know what it takes to make a top-tier game.

30 years experience doing what exactly? 30 years averages to 10 years each. So what did they actually do for those 10 years? And they claim to be 'leads' on The Old Republic WoW-in-space game. Mobygames doesn't agree. A concept artist, an environmental artist, and some kind of scripter. For an MMORPG from the new and very much improved biowhore. Definite formula for success there guys.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Seriously, what is up with 2012? We get the AoD demo sometime soon, Mass Effect 3 has vindicated several years of codex hatred, there are some promising indies on kickstarter, and an ex-bioware employee actually directly responds to codex feedback. The mayans were right, this can't last. The world will end soon.

Still, glad to see you're listening to feedback. Hats off to you good sir.

They worked on The Old Republic, the MMO, not KotOR, smart guy. Reading Comprehension grade: F.

With 30 years experience between us in the games industry, and after working as leads on The Old Republic; one of the biggest projects in gaming history, we know what it takes to make a top-tier game.

30 years experience doing what exactly? 30 years averages to 10 years each. So what did they actually do for those 10 years. And they claim to be 'leads' on The Old Republic WoW-in-space game. Mobygames doesn't agree. A concept artist, an environmental artist, and some kind of scripter. For an MMORPG from the new and very much improved biowhore. Definite formula for success there guys.

Well, they left bioware to pursue their own vision of game development, that's one. The art direction is pretty nice in my opinion, but that is my opinion so isn't really a worthy argument.

I know we're the Codex and we have to be cynical bastards 24/7, but would it be so hard to give them the benefit of the doubt for now? The fact that they weren't 'major players' in the TOR development should in fact speak in their favor in this case, since they didn't really have all that much influence. That seems to be your main concern, as far as I can tell. "Hurr durr bioware-employees get the pitchforks!"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hello again! As some of you have guessed we've been buried by an avalanche of emails, but that doesn't mean we aren't reading comments. In fact, we've just added a new prize option at $50 for people who just want the poster with no signatures. Before you ask, we unfortunately can't do a version without the game logo- once we start having multiple versions of the same poster it gets more expensive for us to print than it's worth.

Thanks!

You're a good man. Don't listen to the complainers -- a lot of people here do nothing but bitch. Bottom line: make a good old school game and people will like it.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not to break up your little circle jerk party, but are you all Biodrones or something? Is the Old Republic the first non-shitty MMORPG? They are clearly a part of the new Biowhore. Not the old Baldur's Gate + NWN Bioware. Maybe I've missed the love for MMOGs here.
You're adorable. Edginess rating 2/10. If you want to be a real Codex curmudgeon, I think you also have to rage against NWN. Back on my ignore list.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

3/10, not quite edgy enough to qualify as non-euclidian geometry. Better luck with your next alt, Drog.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hello again! As some of you have guessed we've been buried by an avalanche of emails, but that doesn't mean we aren't reading comments. In fact, we've just added a new prize option at $50 for people who just want the poster with no signatures (and the game, of course).
You, kind sir, just got my $50! (plus $10 for shipping)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A bit too scared to pre-order this, but it's doing fine without me so I hope it succeeds and turns out well.

When you work at a big company you're basically not allowed to talk to fans. A big publisher is literally worried that a post on a forum will result in bad press and eventually cost them money. I've personally gotten in trouble for some pretty benign comments in the past. It's been really refreshing to have the freedom to just talk about something you love.
...Are you sure you worked at Bioware? With Mike "her walk is the perfect blend of strong and sexy mrrrrrrrowwwwwl" Laidlaw, Sheryl "Gigglesquee I WANT TO NOM HER HEAD" Chee and David "Quelle horreur! Too many examples to pick just one!" Gaider? I guess maybe they really don't care about Dragon Age...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Hello again! As some of you have guessed we've been buried by an avalanche of emails, but that doesn't mean we aren't reading comments. In fact, we've just added a new prize option at $50 for people who just want the poster with no signatures (and the game, of course). Before you ask, we unfortunately can't do a version without the game logo- once we start having multiple versions of the same poster it gets more expensive for us to print than it's worth.

Thanks!

Gneeegh... Curse you and your greedy Hobbit ways of making money! I'll have you know that the poster that's going to decorate my home is coming directly out of next months beer budget!

Now get to work on cooking up some answers to the questions I posted earlier today. The more you can tell us about game mechanics, the more willing we'll be to think this game is more than (admittedly awesome) concept art.

:deadhorse:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A bit too scared to pre-order this, but it's doing fine without me so I hope it succeeds and turns out well.

When you work at a big company you're basically not allowed to talk to fans. A big publisher is literally worried that a post on a forum will result in bad press and eventually cost them money. I've personally gotten in trouble for some pretty benign comments in the past. It's been really refreshing to have the freedom to just talk about something you love.
...Are you sure you worked at Bioware? With Mike "her walk is the perfect blend of strong and sexy mrrrrrrrowwwwwl" Laidlaw, Sheryl "Gigglesquee I WANT TO NOM HER HEAD" Chee and David "Quelle horreur! Too many examples to pick just one!" Gaider? I guess maybe they really don't care about Dragon Age...

END OF RINE

1003342578-00.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Thanks!
A total of 60 with international shipping is a little too steep for me, but you are very awesome indeed for listening to your backers!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Now get to work on cooking up some answers to the questions I posted earlier today. The more you can tell us about game mechanics, the more willing we'll be to think this game is more than (admittedly awesome) concept art.
Yeah, those questions on page 3 really sum up everything we want to know! Please do it Chewbot!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah, those questions on page 3 really sum up everything we want to know! Please do it Chewbot!

We understand that you're still (somewhat) early in development. we're not going to hold you to the details ("OMG YOUR ANSWER SAID THE HORNED HELMET OF SPIKED DEATH WOULD GIVE +3 ARMOR CLASS!"), but showing us the thoughts you've made on how the game should play (as opposed to how it should look and feel) will probably win over the people who are on the fence on the kickstarter drive. This is, after all, a prestigious forum where the regulars frequently reinstall games from the 1980s and late 1990s because they like the gameplay. I noticed this in your kickstarter video:

l0GmY.png

any chance we could have a closeup of that monitor and what the menu options say?

deuxhero

Arcane
So what's with the main character? Is he a fixed guy with a default name (Ramza), pictures/personalities that can be mixed and matched (IMP merc), a player choice from a set of fixed people (Actually, I can't think of a solid example for this beyond Jade Empire off the top of my head and that isn't a sRPG.), or a non-combatant that is never shown on screen fully (Laptop Dude) ? Are his abilities under the control of the player any more than the abilities of other characters?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
One thing that bothers me is how the soldiers, the huge barbarian and the "mage" all look completly different and even have different sizes...how are they gonna handle classes and even multi-classes like this? And will I be able to create a Ninja?

As with most of the Codex, you had me at "King of Dragon Pass".

I'm actually a little worried about that. It's easy to invoke it's name, but tougher to live up to it. In fact, when you bring up such an incredibly niche game you're clearly fishing for credibility... which only reinforces my skepticism.

I do hope it turns out well, but I'd need a few things to convince me it's not just lip service.
I agree that it's not an easy game to live up to, but I also find the stakes ridiculously low. I spent $10. Unless they fail to deliver at all (not very likely), I'll at least get an interesting attempt at a very niche game (although maybe not as niche as some people think, given KoDP's recent popularity on iOS). Considering that a few months back I was reduced to buying a copy of Skyrim for sheer lack of anything new to play, hoping against hope that it would somehow at least turn out "good for what it is", only to find out it can't compete for my attention with 20+ years old games I've got installed in DosBox -- the mere possibilities opened by these recent Kickstarter projects are pretty much heaven.

deuxhero

Arcane
One thing that bothers me is how the soldiers, the huge barbarian and the "mage" all look completly different and even have different sizes...how are they gonna handle classes and even multi-classes like this? And will I be able to create a Ninja?

If not for the enemies being big too, I would have suspected Enlarge Person or such in action.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think they stated that the "Huge barbarian" is actually a giant, and is meant to take up 4 squares on the battlefield. The others are humans.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Goddamn, I squandered my budget for donations on Wasteland 2... Maybe next month... :M

Unwanted

Frian Bargo

Kosmonaut's Alt
I wish the developers would show more love for Richard's William animation. Top notch animator and director. But the art is really nice, nonetheless.

Sincerely:

The Frian Bargo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom