Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG Enhanced precursor to BG3

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
They should make it 4E, it's 2E upgraded twice after all. Like Windows 98 to Windows Vista.

Morkar Left

I don't get what's the point with a BG3.
I could use another 2E game.

It's dead Jim. No way WotC would allow 2E.

The story is finished, the rulesystem more than outdated and the setting, too. A BG3 would be a complete different game. When it has nothing to do with the former games besides some location names I don't want it. Better spent the licensing money on a new rpg with the same style.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Just make BG3 the official prequel to the story of Baldur's Gate.

Play in the Time of Troubles as the Lord of Murder, raping and impregnating thousands of women in your quest to beget a score of mortal progeny to ensure your return. Right up Bioware's alley.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Bioware would have to revise it to the Lord of Murder seducing three men through gifts and campfire conversations and having them bicker over him.

Stabwound

Arcane
Is there any chance that someone might acquire what was done with The Black Hound and finish it?

According to the trustworthy source Wikipedia the game was 80% complete when it was cancelled.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
A midquel where you play another Bhaalspawn would be interesting. It can even end with your arrival to Saradush.

Stabwound

Arcane
Let's not forget there are 2 console Baldur's Gate games that have absolutely nothing to do with Baldur's Gate but involve some of the same areas (Cloakwood, etc). They're also action RPGs and nothing at all like the originals in gameplay either.

I wouldn't mind a game in the same style and area but with no ties to the originals. It doesn't have to have anything to do with the Bhaalspawn storyline at all, although a prequel could work I guess.

There are tons of areas of the Sword Coast that you don't visit in the BG games. It doesn't have to be rehashed at all. Judging by the world map mod for BG Trilogy, a very small part of the actual Sword Coast is implemented in the games.

I would be okay with a BG3 but only if it doesn't try to milk the original characters or storyline. Nothing good could come of that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is there any chance that someone might acquire what was done with The Black Hound and finish it?

According to the trustworthy source Wikipedia the game was 80% complete when it was cancelled.
a) That's Sawyer's story and it'd be poor form for anyone else to touch it
b) He's mentioned recently he has no idea where the "Fallout 3/Black Hound were almost finished" thing came from and it isn't true.

Stabwound

Arcane
Well that's depressing.

I hope Sawyer eventually releases Black Hound in some form at some point. The story sounds pretty interesting and it sucks that neither of his attempts at getting it out came to fruition.

Murk

Arcane
I had never read the overview of The Black Hound but it seems to me like some of the ideas were recycled in Mask of the Betrayer. It also seems very silly to have a game in the BG line that has nothing to do with the events, characters, or location of BG.

Cynic

Arcane
I think if they are using these games as a precursor to BG3, then they are setting it up for the story to continue...somehow. This is high fantasy, any fucking thing could happen.

Johannes

Arcane
Somehow the protagonist loses his powers and goes back to lvl 1 after ToB ?

But well, no point speculating too much, judge it when it's out or at least in development.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I don't get what's the point with a BG3. The story ended. You could only come up with a completely new start plus you would have to use the latest d&d rules.
Why not instead make a new rpg in the spirit of BG? Oh yeah, that wouldn't bring in enough money because you can't use a trademark to let people instabuy whatever you release.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

Wow, I never knew about that. I hate Herve Caen more than ever now. What a stupid fool.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
q to Baldur's Gate veterans: I'm playing Tutu with Tales of the Sword Coast etc, and have a Kensai/Mage who I'm planning to multiclass to Mage at level 9. However, I'm not sure whether to do that in BG1/TotSC or wait until I get into 2. I don't mind grinding for a while for the requisite experience to reactivate Kensai if that proves necessary, but preferably not much. Also, whenabouts is best for doing the TotSC content?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Better ask yourself when your savegames and a game itself will crap out on you because that's how that broken piece of a mod rolls.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I want "The Adventures of Imoen", featuring epic dungeon climbing, solving puzzles, lesbian sex, and annoying Voice Acting.

Johannes

Arcane
q to Baldur's Gate veterans: I'm playing Tutu with Tales of the Sword Coast etc, and have a Kensai/Mage who I'm planning to multiclass to Mage at level 9. However, I'm not sure whether to do that in BG1/TotSC or wait until I get into 2. I don't mind grinding for a while for the requisite experience to reactivate Kensai if that proves necessary, but preferably not much. Also, whenabouts is best for doing the TotSC content?
Isn't fighter level 9 beyond the BG1/ToTSC xp cap? Or is that removed in Tutu

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Better ask yourself when your savegames and a game itself will crap out on you because that's how that broken piece of a mod rolls.

Except for the infamous Beregost bug, no.
And that bug can easily be circumvented by not doing the classic newbie mistake - using only one savegame.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Yeah, no point in BG3.

They're already using 2e for bgee, so if they do a BG3, I would assume they'd keep it 2e. I mean, ffs, they say they're trying to make 10+ year old BG/2 saves IMPORTABLE NAO, which shows a strange empathy for continuity to me.

I'm curious about WotC's stance on this. I guess that they'd want new game to run on the current edition of D&D (no point in licensing new game on a system which they don't sell).

BobtheTree

Savant
After the narrative heavy, more linear experience of BG2, I'm not interested in seeing a sequel. I'd imagine they'd only make it more narrative heavy and linear driven, taking it even further away from what I loved about the original BG.

mondblut

Arcane
They're already using 2e for bgee

BGEE is a remake of an existing IP. Essentially a patched repackaging. Whatever licences and rights applied to BG are retained, otherwise that wouldn't work.

so if they do a BG3, I would assume they'd keep it 2e.

No way in hell. WOTC and others do new editions for a reason, for fuck's sake. I bet their wildest, wettest dream is a technology which makes all prior edition books magically disappear in a cloud of sulphurous smoke the moment a new edition hits the shelves. Their own back catalogue is their biggest competitor, they will never ever license a new 2nd edition game when they have a fucking 4th (and upcoming 5th) to sell.

Well, not in 10 years, anyway. I think they just announced a limited edition reprint of 1st ed rulebooks for collectors. A decade later, 2ed can get a similar treatment. But don't get your hopes up expecting them to shell out a few million quids on a computer game as a part of it. A leatherbound 100$ DMG is all you will get.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
For maximum fun I advice the following:
Only dual in BG2 after you've made lvl13. It's pretty easy to come to lvl13, dual to mage and then reactivate in the beginning of BG2 due to massive XP rewards (scribing scrolls for instance) as long as you don't pick up party members (just buy/loot healing potions) . Only then pick up your team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom