Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ascendancy for dosbox

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
Hey guys, I thought I might as well ask here.
Have anyone tried running Ascendancy under dosbox?
There is even an iPhone version!
But I'd still like to get my version running. And seemingly no one has a problem with it but mine just shows a black screen at start. Can someone post their configs?

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
Thanks. Mine are the same, surface, same audio. Its strange, it works in a virtual machine, it even works in dosbox in a virtual machine but I get no further than black screen on my normal rig. Time to play with video drivers, antivirus and firewalls...

Heresiarch

Prophet
I've bought this game for my iPad for several months just because I've heard it's a pretty well designed space 4X. But never played it because I've heard some bad things like its AI ubersux, and I find the game really "alien" because there's no humanoid races in it. So how is it actually?

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
I recall having problems with starting this up once, but that was long before Dosbox and might have been a faulty crack also. As usual try running with sound off or something. Yeah, that's as a load of useful info there.

I've bought this game for my iPad for several months just because I've heard it's a pretty well designed space 4X. But never played it because I've heard some bad things like its AI ubersux, and I find the game really "alien" because there's no humanoid races in it. So how is it actually?

From very clouded memories:

There's no exceptional features (that I remember), but it all comes about as enjoyable. Building infrastructure on planets is quite decent and there is a fair number and diversity in techs. There is possibiility of designing your own space ships (I hear this is pretty much standard in space 4x games though so nothing amazing there). Nice music, but really too little of it.

The bad thing is the AI, which is indeed atrocious - it's extremely passive and provides no challenge at all. There is an "AI patch" but from (limited) experience all it does is increase the likelyhood of the AI declariing war on you - you end up in wars with completely inept enemies that often don't even bother to attack. I don't remember how combat was.

Aliens are nice concept-wise but unfortunately in game there is no difference between them apart from the "special ability".

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The music here is pretty good.
I remember it like if it was yesterday, or even today. )
Actually I even have soundtrack from game, and torrent it. )

You should at least listen to the music, I don't know if it original of some kind of plagiarism, but everytime I hear "space" or better "cosmos" themed music in films, it sounds like a cheap fake on Ascendancy music.

Destroid

Arcane
The music here is pretty good.
I remember it like if it was yesterday, or even today. )
Actually I even have soundtrack from game, and torrent it. )

You should at least listen to the music, I don't know if it original of some kind of plagiarism, but everytime I hear "space" or better "cosmos" themed music in films, it sounds like a cheap fake on Ascendancy music.

Ascendancy music sounds like its heavily "inspired" by Philip Glass. MoO2 music is basically copies of Brian Eno tracks. Good choices really, better than most music space games get.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
some dos games have trouble working in fullscreen due to their resolution switching triggering a resolution your driver is not fond of. A example is Descent 2, which can appear to 'hang' in fullscreen with fullresolution=original and only really likes fullresolution=640x480 because its main menu loading tries to trigger some weird ass resolution.

The hardware modes (opengl, openglnlb, overlay, ddraw, directx) are supposed to autoscale the game to the nearest non-distorted resolution that fills your vertical resolution if you change it to fullsresolution=desktop (black bars at the side) but that sometimes will not work correctly in the case of resolution changes (and besides, it's annoying to see the window flicker and show the desktop when the resolution change happens, which doesn't happen in the surface/overlay modes).

Another problem is that even some dosgames can get slow from fullscreen dosbox in hardware ouput modes. This is caused by lack of graphics card/emulator/monitor synchronization, where dosbox is feeding the card and monitor more frames than they can handle / different native frequency of the game, and the card can't adjust the display frequency accordingly (you may know this as freesync/gsync - which are going to be major wins for emulators).

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Ascendancy music sounds like its heavily "inspired" by Philip Glass. MoO2 music is basically copies of Brian Eno tracks. Good choices really, better than most music space games get.

Looks like true about MoO2 music, but can you put example from F. Glass?
Here this famous track from Ascendancy.

This guy has the rest of the music in this playlist, and it is awesome. Pure gold for me.
Something like Mark Morgan of DOS-age.
Racie themes are good, although not as catchy.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
And this track too! it is awesome, non the less.

And this, this! It is even better! O_O freaking awesome.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom