Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codecks Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Discussion

Topher

Cipher
I'm starting to agree that the weapon progression is a tad slow, not unbearable, but just a tiny but slow... oh and re-specs are way too rare.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Is it just me or is the Engineer's combat drone really useless in multiplayer? It barely ever fires and enemies seem to ignore it almost always.
Not worth investing too many points into it IMO, but there are worse abilities out there. It's good for busting guys out of cover and distracting turrets/guardians, but it's not the ability you spam mindlessly and solves everything.

Topher

Cipher
I haven't used the combat drone but I've almost never seen it used either... same goes for that turret the Quarian Engineer has and proximity mines (although I have used proximity mines and they are indeed practically worthless). I just assumed that those other two skills are poor investments as well.

Project: Eternity
Engineers also have Overload vs shields and Incinerate vs armor, which sounds good on paper because you can bring down those defenses, only whenever I tried to use them the damage they do is so small I might as well shoot things. Might be Doing It Wrong(tm). So far the Salarian Infiltrator has been the most successful from what I tried. I bring along only my maxed out Mantis sniper rifle and can stealth as quick as I reload.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Engineers also have Overload vs shields and Incinerate vs armor, which sounds good on paper because you can bring down those defenses, only whenever I tried to use them the damage they do is so small I might as well shoot things. Might be Doing It Wrong(tm). So far the Salarian Infiltrator has been the most successful from what I tried. I bring along only my maxed out Mantis sniper rifle and can stealth as quick as I reload.
The key difference is that when you are shooting things they tend to shoot back, while casting abilities takes way less time and can be done more easily on the move. I wouldn't say the damage is small, as i remember my overload could strip away all the shields from normal troops. I don't really think it's fair to compare classes to Salarian Infiltrators and Asari Adepts as they are far ahead of the pack, but human engineers are definitely not in the shit tier in the hands of a somewhat experienced player. IMO SIs mainly feel more powerful than the other classes coz you can do everything yourself and you don't have to rely on teamwork.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The higher the difficulty, the higher incoming damage you receive, this is why a lot of ppl go for Heavy Damage , Slow Reload option aka Snipers & Heavy Pistols. Or powers.
There is no suppressing fire - enemy only panics when they are set on fire or staggered by explosions / skill use. Strangely, warp / ranged biotic throws forces the enemy to relocate or jump away.

The above contributes to certain power-based class being more effective than the rest. They don't need gears to be effective, unload plenty of damage through biotics, and employ Heavy Pistol/Snipers to finish the job.

That is why Asari Adepts are generally effective vs most enemies and human adepts are the worst.

Lesser used skills that might help:
Prox. Mines - This is a mixed bag. It's useful. But the way it deals damage is tricky to implement. At times if you stick it on an enemy, it explodes instantly for good dmg (mini grenade) and stagger. At times you miss, and it does absolutely nothing for the next few seconds till the sensors are up, usually by that point, the enemies have moved away/died. My advice is not to aim at enemies, instead, aim for the ground. Take Rank 5 Evolve - add 20% damage on affected enemies. You should plant mines during round breaks - when enemy comes close, fire another to detonate it.

Turrets & Engineers Pets - You can use them as fire support or force the enemy big guns to turn around. Very noticeable when you set those behind Atlas / Geth Primes. The elites would turn around, exposing their back. Also, Cryo ammo for them might be trick to double Incinerate Dmg and slow down enemies.

Powers - If you're comparing damage against basic troops, there won't be much of a difference whether you use a gun or power. But if you're up against hard targets like Ravager, Brutes, Primes, Hunters, etc guns alone won't be enough. Don't think any class operate without using powers. Even Soldiers rely on Adrenaline to compete. Infiltrators stealth to gain 90% dmg bonus on next attack etc.

Topher

Cipher
The Asari Adept comes with an automatic point in stasis but I don't want a fucking point in stasis and the only way to get rid of it is by using a damn re-spec and I don't have a re-spec right now. FUUUU

*...oh and my biggest problem with the proximity mine isn't so much that it's totally worthless when looked at individually but that those points would always seem to be better spent leveling up a different skill (any skill).

RK47

Patron
You'd change your tune about stasis when you have 2 phantoms charging at you. :lol:

Topher

Cipher
You'd change your tune about stasis when you have 2 phantoms charging at you. :lol:

Yeah, it seems handy as hell to have, or did when I saw it being used, but then I'm giving up warp and that neat combo explosion bonus;however, since I'm stuck with the point I might as well build her up to use that stasis bubble and throw, see how I like that.

RK47

Patron
add me up on origins bro, the public random quality can be quite infuriating sometimes.

i can't add ur origin id for some reason.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Why would you give up warp or throw? My build is 6/6/6/6/0 and it delivers if your team is any good, and if it's not you are screwed anyway. You have to get used how not to get shot (3 shots and you are done for), but you shouldn't get shot all that often if you play smart and cover flanks/pick off lone troops. With random pub games it's a coinflip, with a premade team she's godly.

Topher

Cipher
I'd never previously considered giving up the fitness tree on the adept or any character, since I do mostly play pub games, but I'll give it a try.

Topher bro. Lets play some moar today if possible.

I'm totally up for that and I'll be on and off all day so just shoot me an invite anytime.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'd never previously considered giving up the fitness tree on the adept or any character, since I do mostly play pub games, but I'll give it a try.

Topher bro. Lets play some moar today if possible.

I'm totally up for that and I'll be on and off all day so just shoot me an invite anytime.

:oops :oops: :oops: Got tied up in some CDS MP session today for a few hours. Completely forget I had ME3 planned. Sorry bro. :cry:

Topher

Cipher
That damn "store failed to connect bug" ate 120,000 credits today and I am none to pleased. Coupled with the already sluggish income/item progression, this is a game ending caliber bug.

RK47

Patron
That damn "store failed to connect bug" ate 120,000 credits today and I am none to pleased. Coupled with the already sluggish income/item progression, this is a game ending caliber bug.

You sure they don't refund the credits? Did you check your inventory for any new weapons?
I could've sworn I encountered a few issues like those at times, and when I check my inventory I would get a new upgrade on my weapons, or a new class unlock.
That's how I got my Salarian Infiltrator anyway. :smug:

Also, 27th March Patch notes:

Falcon Assault Rifle
- Damage increased from [215.0-268.8] to [279.2-349.0]

Javelin Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [795.0-993.7] to [1030.5-1288.1]
- Encumbrance increased from [2.5-2.0] to [3.0-2.4]
- Max spare ammo decreased from [9-19] to [5-15]

Wraith Shotgun
- Damage increased from [83.1-103.9] to [89.5-111.9]

Paladin Heavy Pistol
- Damage increased from [350.9-438.7] to [389.9-487.4]
- Encumbrance increased from [1.0-0.5] to [1.5-0.9]

Talon Heavy Pistol
- Damage increased from [72.1-90.1] to [86.5-108.1]

Geth Assault Rifle
- Encumbrance decreased from [1.5-0.9] to [1.0-0.5]

Lift Grenade Power
- Increased base damage from 450 to 500

Geth Assault Rifle is still shit IMO.
I don't even use the rest. Maybe I give Falcon a try sometimes tonight, but I am skeptical.

Topher

Cipher
No refund. It's actually happened to me quite a few times and happens to a friend of mine on a regular basis. It's a pretty well know glitch on the official forums but that's it, no patch or word from bioware/ea on getting it fixed. I really want the gear that those specter packs might have provide so I can start playing on gold, a couple re-specs would've be great too.

RK47

Patron
If you really want to re-spec, just promote the guy and run a bronze + a few silver games with me. We'll get your new guy in shape in no time.

Unless you really want to zero out the skill points. :)

taplonaplo

Scholar
Topher, you don't get a refund but it's possible that you actuallly got your items, but unless you got a brand new weapon or character unlock it's easy to miss. I'm done with specter packs till some extra version, not antoher set of character cards thank you. But the new Jumbo packs are awesome.

Bioware strikes again with balance changes. 10% damage increase for 50% weight increase on the paladin is the real deal if you were considering switching to carnifex already. I don't think the other changes will make the weapons more popular, if it wasn't popular before 10-20% buffs won't make it so either. I'd love to try out the Javelin, not bloody likely with tthis unlock system.

RK47

Patron
Falcon is rebuffed tho. Hmmm. Jumbo pack eh? Will farm one tonight. Will pray for Black Widows.

RK47

Patron
...FOR FUCK SAKE EA. I DON'T NEED SPACE TAMPONS.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Yeah, run a few games with me. I'll be happy to play anytime. Hopefully I'll be free tonight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom