Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Mass Effect 3: Emotional Engagements

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
No time to transcribe the rest, gotta go to work but here's the opening vid

Is that Krogan supposed to be Grunt if he's still alive?

Eh, the Eve thing was derp too. Can't help but think that Eve judges Krogans based on human criterias for what is good and just, which is derp for an entire different species.

Oh and the entire making herself costly thing grinds my gears wrong too. She talks like a late 20th century woman that has had an injection of grrl power ("what am I to you!!!"). Not that this in itself is wrong but again she is supposed to be the product of this warrior culture that views females as something to be possessed, and she is also supposed to be a primitive race with low cognitive capabilities, so eh... Bioware doesn't understand perspective really, everyone has the same 21st century values in their world, unless they are a shittily made stereotype.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Krogan don't have low cognitive abilities, they're bloodthirsty and savage but they did manage to nuke themselves using atomic weapons they themselves developed. If it wasn't for their bloodthirsty culture they could have achieved as much as the council races. If not more.

:bro:

Tiberian Sun campaign map theme+Dune 2k music in the background. :salute: RK47

RK47

Patron
Umm...wasn't it said in the Codex that Salarians literally 'uplifted' them? As in give away several era of tech ala Civilization to get them up to speed?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yes but they found them after the Krogans nuked themselves into oblivion and tuchanka was engulfed in nuclear winter. They actually developed industry on their own before that. So they're not entirely a race of dumbfucks, unlike the vorcha.

RK47

Patron
I just don't feel that way. It's an insult to fremens ffs. If they even tried to imply that Shepard is a Paul Atreides figure to the Krogans, my head is going to explode.
Eve is written in a bullshit manner as someone suggested. I just can't find the right words to explain it - sheesh. Bioware really needs to be braver. Not going into homosexuality, but break some new grounds in sci-fi storytelling. OK, I'm heading home. Cya guys!

Esquilax

Arcane
Umm...wasn't it said in the Codex that Salarians literally 'uplifted' them? As in give away several era of tech ala Civilization to get them up to speed?

Yeah, Mordin mentioned this as well, which makes the whole "Cure the genophage" thing more plausible. While there's a bit of silliness with the krogan, I thought the whole idea of a bunch of violent, Stone Age savages suddenly being given weapons of mass destruction and suddenly being expected to act civilized was interesting. They were "uplifted" by the salarians, but this resulted in a situation where their technological advances had outpaced their social development to such an extent that they had no idea how to accommodate their society to deal with the changes.

So yeah, all in all, I think the idea is pretty good and not as stupid as RK thinks it is. Then again, I also agree with herostratus, but I'd chalk the whole lizard-chick who is a 21st century feminist stuff more to BioWare being incapable of writing aliens that are remotely "alien".

RK47

Patron
Unsurprising Reveal Expected

As promised, we'll be changing our arsenal.

01.jpg

The newly acquired Scorpion pistol will be tested.

02.jpg

The N7 Argus will be given the chance despite its shitty reputation in online play.

03.jpg

I'll take my best team with me, since someone warned me of the dangers..

04.jpg

For a Sentinel, there is no better team than Liara and Javik. You can chain biotic explosions all day long, and in turn it made weapons grade a non issue. Survival is also bolstered by exposing yourself to as little fire as possible, since you'll be throwing biotics strictly from cover.

You've seen this video before, but let's put it here for continuity sake.

05.jpg

The nearby storage shed holds the Claymore, the most powerful shotgun in the game. Highest damage, and heaviest too. I don't know if I'll ever try it.

06.jpg

I also help myself to some salvage.

07.jpg

shep.jpg
Me too.

Yep, let's go...

So, yeah...all three. Unharmed by a few metre drop. Of course all the heavy debris did not crush the fallen squadmates as well. What are the chances? Seriously?

jav.jpg
Ahead of us.
08.jpg

09.jpg

dagg.jpg
If he still has his weapon grab it. Could be useful down here.

Durrr..press Space Bar, Commander. The Firestorm is a flamethrower, capable of delivering constant damage at close range. Not a bad heavy weapons. But unlike Mass Effect 2, you can no longer carry it on your back pack. Switching to your other firearms would make Shepard drop the equipped heavy weapon onto the floor.

lia.jpg
Is that webbing?
10.jpg

How foreboding.

11.jpg

We smashed it aside with the Omniblade.

12.jpg

The second webbing requires the Firestorm to break down.

13.jpg

Cramped caverns, chest-high stone walls for cover. Sigh. They're not even trying anymore.

lia.jpg
Stay close. It's easy to get separated.

LOL. Only a fucking multiplayer team would get separated.

shep.jpg
Agreed. Everybody be ready.

Small forms skitters as we walk past.

lia.jpg
Did anyone see that?
jav.jpg
Confirmed. I see something.
14.jpg

Looks like some kind of egg? Let's smash it.

15.jpg

Bashing up these eggs at close range isn't a good idea. They detonate when shot at. They do damage to anyone close by. Best to just burn them from a distance.

16.jpg

Of course the Scorpion Mine Pistol works too. Nifty.

17.jpg

Mystery solved. Reapers are behind this shit.

shep.jpg
Maybe.

Yeah, it's still possible that somehow Cerberus engineered the rachni too with the aid of Reaper tech they've captured.

18.jpg

We proceed very carefully, taking care to burn any eggs that stand in our way.

19.jpg

Deeper we go...and finally...we've got combat.

Those Ravagers are deadly - the rest of the reapers are harmless to be honest. Of course, you risk being exposed to husks and other threats if you focus too much on the Ravagers. But taking the Scorpion along lets me deal damage without establishing line of sight against the Ravager, so it's a good thing I've brought this pistol along. All in all, dangerous.

Deeper within, we found traces of Reaper structures piercing through the caverns.

lia.jpg
No question Reapers have been here.
20.jpg

More eggs in our way.

21.jpg

We proceed onward, until...

jav.jpg
Blocked, Shepard.

This door's different. It's Reaper-made.

22.jpg

lia.jpg
It must open somehow.
23.jpg

Hmm...it has a barrier?

24.jpg

Firing off biotics at it shuts down the node. Opening the door.

25.jpg

Smashed through the webbing behind it with biotics to continue.

26.jpg

A rumbling sound is heard as the squad moves in.

lia.jpg
Look out!

It's a cave in!

27.jpg

The team safely rolls out of harm's way, but there's no way back.

jav.jpg
Our exit is cut off.
shep.jpg
Looks like we're finding another way out of here. Come on!
dagg.jpg
Commander, what was that noise?
shep.jpg
Cave in. We're all right.
dagg.jpg
Understood. Dagg out.

More boring webs and eggs...

28.jpg

Jesus, this mission sucks ass.

dagg.jpg
Commander, I got information off one of the scouts.
shep.jpg
What happened to them?
dagg.jpg
The leader ordered them to take weapons deep into the cave. He knew the next team would need help.
shep.jpg
They died making sure we could make it to the central chamber. Come on!

:hearnoevil: Yeah, that explains why most of them died carrying Firestorms - totally.

29.jpg

With chest high covers and a nice river for trench warfare. :skyway:

I dunno why man, I just felt the Single Player combat experience feels lacking compared to the multiplayer scene. Although Gold difficulty tends to get a little bit overkill...Silver's pretty fun and fair to experiment with different class combo you can have with 4 people. Here, you can see I struggle a lot trying to keep my squadmates alive. They're kinda worthless as weapons wielder, I just used them as instant power dispensers.

And the Argus rifle recoil is horrid when not fired from cover. This gun ... one of the N7 "Ultra Rare" pack in Multiplayer deserved the shit reputation it was given by the community. You can see I was shocked by the recoil when I fired it for the first time and could not recover. The Vindicator Assault Rifle or Mattock would've done a better job at less weight, too. So yeah, fuck this gun.

shep.jpg
Any casualties?
dagg.jpg
Some. But even more dead Rachni.
lia.jpg
The rachni thrive on toxic planets. Strange to find them in breathable atmosphere.
30.jpg

jav.jpg
The Reapers are breeding an army down here. The Rachni reproduce at an alarming rate. This place would hide their numbers until it's too late.
shep.jpg
I agree. And they're throwing everything they've got at us so we won't reach the nest.

That was all they've got? Seriously?

31.jpg

Gunfires ahead.

32.jpg

Looks like Dagg needs help.

shep.jpg
Hang on, Dagg. I'm on it!
33.jpg

We blast off a webbing and rush down a tunnel.

lia.jpg
There's the power node.
34.jpg

35.jpg

One blast on the node and it opens up a path for the krogan to retreat into the same chambers where Shepard's team is at.

36.jpg

They're safe, for now.

37.jpg

The rachni forces backs off to regroup as Dagg lets off a parting shot.

38.jpg

dagg.jpg
The rachni were clever to seal the passage.
39.jpg

shep.jpg
Glad to see you made it.
dagg.jpg
The rachni have retreated for now but will soon return. In force.
shep.jpg
We're close, Dagg. Those barriers were protecting whatever's down that passage.

Dagg glances at the passage, noting the large presence of egg spores.

dagg.jpg
We'll dig in here, ensure you have time to finish this.
shep.jpg
Good luck.
dagg.jpg
Luck? Ha! Luck is for a salarian male hoping to please his mate.
40.jpg

:Hold the Line:

Shepard's team advances forward on foot, till they have to squeeze through a small passage...on their knees.

41.jpg

42.jpg

What will they find on the other side?

In this battle. I abused the biotic chain between the three squadmates to pull myself through the rut. First, Javik's Dark Channel will deal constant damage - I'll detonate that with a Throw. If the Ravager is still alive, I'll have Liara Warp it, and I'll finish the job with another throw. If it's still alive, my own Warp is ready to finish the job. That'll ensure constant biotic chains to keep the kills coming. Of course, if the swarmers or husks gets close, consider casting singularity to protect your squad from begin choked to death by husks. That's all folks, no boss fights. Nothing.

lightbane

Arcane
So, I guess that if you saved Wrex in ME1, he dies here anyways, right? Also, I say that you should totally take the Rachni not-queen as an ally, if only to troll both the salarians and the krogan at the same time.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It appears bioware learned little from Dragon Age 2.
I saw a few enemies pop into existence from nowhere during that very Emotionally Engaging (tm) battle (most obvious one is around 4:00).

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So, I guess that if you saved Wrex in ME1, he dies here anyways, right?

No.

First of all, on this planet you meet not Wrex but Grunt. Secondly, Grunt survives his mad rampage with Ravagers.

So, I guess that if you saved Wrex in ME1, he dies here anyways, right?
Not Wrex - Grunt, the retarded (for a krogan) test-tube one from ME2. And he...
...survives and becomes a war asset if he was "loyal" in ME2. Dies, otherwise. Not worth it, though...
... - as was said, the generic krogan contains 500% less hurr per square durr. I should've killed the idiot in ME2, as well.

Hellraiser

Arcane
So, I guess that if you saved Wrex in ME1, he dies here anyways, right? Also, I say that you should totally take the Rachni not-queen as an ally, if only to troll both the salarians and the krogan at the same time.

No, at least it isn't mentioned or shown AFAIK. Also if Grunt is alive he still stays behind to hold them off and it looks like he will die when the screen fades. But then after the shuttle lands, he comes out of the cave covered in ridiculous amounts of rachni blood. You get him as a war asset.

RK47

Patron
I really don't understand why they withheld killing off party members that you befriended in previous ME. It's so strange. It's almost like Bioware is trying so hard to please the fans who sucked their NPC's cock or something.
If they really want to emotionally engage the players, kill off the people close/dear to them. Not random generic NPC number 2125. Give them a hard choice - the war asset or your blue girlfriend. Now that's something to think about.

I felt nothing for Dagg. And don't really quite understand why Renegade Shepard would go all, "Thank you, Bro" at the end of that segment. Also, that mission has no fucking conclusion. So what happened? Did we set a charge? Did we commence exterminatus? We didn't even kill the queen. So what the fuck is going on? Do we assume the children will eat the mother if we didn't free her?

I really don't understand why they withheld killing off party members that you befriended in previous ME. It's so strange. It's almost like Bioware is trying so hard to please the fans who sucked their NPC's cock or something.
If they really want to emotionally engage the players, kill off the people close/dear to them. Not random generic NPC number 2125. Give them a hard choice - the war asset or your blue girlfriend. Now that's something to think about.
Play a bit further: there are opportunities for some of your previous teammates to die - by your choice, scripted by your previous choice in ME2 or by killing them yourself.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So uh...aYeah, what Vaarne asked. I mean, if she can still just join you as a war asset, what the fuck was the point of the Rachni Queen choice.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Okay, so lets talk CnC.

First of all, yes, the rachni queen's children ate her. It's cause they're slaves to the reapers but she isn't any more or something, I dunno.

So, about the rachni queen from ME1. If you let her live, she is the one you encounter here(no surprises there). She has different dialogue, and she explains more in depth why the children want to eat her. As to the point Vaarne was making: Yes, THIS rachni queen is trying to bluff shep, if you accept, it betrays you somehow. However, if it's the old queen, she joins you and you get a rachni war asset as well as a special dialogue option with Hacket that's about 5 lines or so.

And yes, ME3 has lots of fan service for people who played the previous games. I kinda like it tbh, it's a good way to end a series by giving each character their moment in the spotlight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom