Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Takedown: Red Sabre, aka "Hardcore Tactical Shooter"

Angthoron

Arcane
Hmmm. I think I know how Serellan could get a publisher with only some minor changes.

Hardcore Tacticool Shooter.

Destroid

Arcane
So wait, does this mean that Notch will get a 9mm ?

Hopefully he'll only get it after the W2 party, otherwise it could make kicking him in the balls a risky proposition for a heroic Codex representative. The Codex would probably get the blame too, due to Notch's reputation (and the aforementioned requirements to ruin it not being met)

Unless we send a black kid. Then Notch would be fucked.

rp_omgcity_night0005.jpg

Johannes

Arcane
Ok, will he reveal his VC backers now and the amount of money he's supposed to have?

Or what kind of team he has...

Surprising in any case, I hope for his sake he really has thought this through.

almondblight

Arcane
"$200,000 will bring TAKEDOWN to Alpha. Private investors are lined up, but unsure of the market for an old-school tac shooter. A successful Kickstarter campaign will convince them that this is a viable market."

It sounds like their funding is hardly secure. Will they be making an Alpha and then shopping it around? How much can they make with $200,000k, especially since they seem to have a mid-size team working on it? The thing about private investors is that they'd probably need a number of them, and they could easily pull out. if they have 8 guys lined up to invest $200,000, and a couple of them drop out (they lost money in the stock market, they got cold feet, they decided to put their money elsewhere, etc.), will they be able to make the game with $400k less than expected? Will they be able to find other sources of funding?

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing starts to fall apart and they outsource the programming to one of those "will code for food" shops, then through out some half-baked CS clone.

Achilles

Arcane
Yeah it's a bit unclear at this point. Still, i do hope he pulls it off. I didn't pledge though, there were just too many questions.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Supposedly the guy has meetings arranged with VC's, so they're not exactly publisher type people. I dropped some cash on him, but I can't help but wonder if all the kickstarter didn't exhaust all of their potential customers.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Supposedly the guy has meetings arranged with VC's, so they're not exactly publisher type people. I dropped some cash on him, but I can't help but wonder if all the kickstarter didn't exhaust all of their potential customers.

I'd actually be more worried about that for the ones that have been getting millions. With those, a huge number of those who want the game are already getting it. There was enough evidence that something might actually come out of them, and be good, that a lot of the people who might be interested were confident enough to drop at least $15 on them.

With this one, there are a ton of people who like the genre, but didn't put money into the kickstarter, because they doubt Mr. Allen's ability to deliver (myself included). If it actually does come out, and it isn't shit, a good portion of those people might buy it. If it doesn't come out, or is shit, the situation is moot anyway.

Lack of potential customers should be the least of his worries. Making a game the potential customers will consider worthwhile is what should be front and center in his mind.

Destroid

Arcane
Even if three of these kicking it forward kickstarters make $1,000,000 profit each, that is going to inject a pretty crazy amount of cash into the projects when they mature.

almondblight

Arcane
Supposedly the guy has meetings arranged with VC's, so they're not exactly publisher type people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venture_capital:

"In exchange for the high risk that venture capitalists assume by investing in smaller and less mature companies, venture capitalists usually get significant control over company decisions, in addition to a significant portion of the company's ownership (and consequently value)."

Sounds worse than publishers, actually.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I smell fluid development cycle

Perhaps this shall then become the most tactical game possible, a third person cover-based squad shooter, where you control not one, but multiple professionals taking cover at the same time. The complexity is thereby exponential and offers an unlimited combination of challenging situations.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, that's the thing. These people are the epitome of the supposed greed of the gaming industry. They don't even have to pretend that they have some artistic pretenses, their sole purpose is to make money. Usually through a one-off investment. But hey, who knows.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Wow, I never thought he'd succeed. I guess it says something about how much potential this method of funding has if a project this stupid (it's not a game, he is just going to show his suitcase of cash to some suits) and this poorly executed can still reach its goal.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
A challenger appears: http://groundbranch.com/

Apparently some people from the original Ghost Recon crew are making the game. I'd guess that compared to Takedown there's a much higher chance of this game actually happening since they've already got an actual gameplay teaser and all.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
A challenger appears: http://groundbranch.com/

Apparently some people from the original Ghost Recon crew are making the game. I'd guess that compared to Takedown there's a much higher chance of this game actually happening since they've already got an actual gameplay teaser and all.

sounds like a CoD single player mod

mck

Cipher
I heard a rumor that the game they are releasing was actually developed by another team and the Kickstarter campaign money was actually used to fund the assassination of the old development team.

Did anyone else hear about this?

deuxhero

Arcane
thinking-person

What? The white knights have seriously made it so you can't use common English phrases like "thinking-man"? I have NEVER heard "thinking person" outside of overtly political correct shit.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"Hey, we are making a REAL tactical shooter, not those popamole military shooters. Here's our trailer, that shows nothing tactical whatsoever, because that's boring, and steals some sound effects from Call of Duty, because they are cool."
:balance:

Stabwound

Arcane
In the land of Kickstarter, I am amazed that the most sketchy looking one turned out to be a legitimate product, and seemingly made bigger and faster progress than most of the other big campaigns.

Who knows if the game will be shit or not, but the sheer fact that it is coming out is a shock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom