Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
+1 to Jarpie:
Just to add why they are zero gay romances and none of emotional engagements in Grimrock?

made

Arcane
maybe somekind of interaction with NPCs and possible outdoor locations.
This, along with vendors, recruitable NPCs, etc. I can actually do without as it changes the feel of the game. There is only me and the dungeon and neither of us cares lololol.

Not saying games like LoL or EoB were worse for having them. They were fun in their own right, just a different kind of crawler.

Any tips in party building for a newfag? Nothing powergamerlike, but things to avoid?

In my first attempt I made it to where the frost wyverns and crabs appear, but I don't think I invested my points well...

I take that rogues aren't very good, so I was thinking of 2 warriors (1 minotaur headhunter) and 2 mages. What build would be good for a backrow spear user? A mague with relatively high streght? 2front warriors and makeone of the backrow wizards a fire-mage-minotaur? Or a pure warrior?

Eyeball

Arcane
This game actually has some pretty good level and monster design. I like how every time I've encountered a new type of monster so far, I've died messily and then worked out their pattern. This was especially amusing to me once I realised that giant monster crabs move SIDEWAYS like their smaller cousins.

Interface is still an atrocity on the scale of Srebrenica, though.

Gord

Arcane
Rogues are quite decent when you spec them to use throwing or missile weapons and put them in the back row.
You can probably focus mostly on strength, as ranged weapons have 100% tHC and strength does increase damage for ranged weapons, too.

If you want to give him some survivability e.g. if you want to swap him with front-line in case of emergency), put some points into dex as well and make sure he has high enough evasion.

He won't be of too much use on the 1st or 2nd level, probably, but once you have a better weapon (short bow, or later crossbow), he can dish out quite some damage.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still not a turn-based dungeon crawler, though :smug:
Vogel's freshly released Avernum is #17 on the Steam top seller charts, it was in the top 10 on release day. And that's a pretty goddamn ugly turn based RPG. Everything sells well on Steam! :bounce:

Still can't believe he added walking animations! :D
Oh shit son I might have to play it now. That was my biggest criticism. (I know, sad right?)

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Just bought it.

Fuck mages, wizards, sorcerers and other cloaked faggots, I'm rollin' with a double warrior (minotaur HAMMERTIME and human STEVEN SEAGULL, you can guess their specs) and double rogue (human ALTAIR and TANYA). My experience with DM-likes is limited, as I've only played a bit of Anvil of Dawn and Lands of Lore, so it could turn out to be a glorious and tasteful assrape.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Original Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back didn't have very varied spell lists, unless you count the potion making through spells, also original DM & CSB didn't have two-handed weapons either so lack of them might be just an oversight by the developers. Lack of spear skill is a bit disappointing, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fix that on future patches, for example by adding it to rogue skills, making it "Daggers and Polearms" skill.

Also, I wouldn't mind ability to throw the spears either.
Sure, DM didn't have many things. Doesn't mean this shouldn't either, it's not a 1:1 copy.

It's their first game, so everyone will forgive them the shortcomings, but now that they're raking in the millions the sequel/expansion better be more sophisticated.

Definitely people should expect more from sequel/expansion, although, lack of variety in spells and some other oversights (such as no dual-wielding and two-handed weapons) is probably due very short development time (just about 9 months).

What I'd like to see in sequel/expansion is naturally more spells, two-handed fighting/dual-wielding, and maybe somekind of interaction with NPCs and possible outdoor locations. Hopefully they won't try to bite too big piece with the expansion/sequel.

And.Other.Races.

hoverdog

Developer
Just bought it.

Fuck mages, wizards, sorcerers and other cloaked faggots, I'm rollin' with a double warrior (minotaur HAMMERTIME and human STEVEN SEAGULL, you can guess their specs) and double rogue (human ALTAIR and TANYA). My experience with DM-likes is limited, as I've only played a bit of Anvil of Dawn and Lands of Lore, so it could turn out to be a glorious and tasteful assrape.
A rogue seems to be more fitting for an unarmed fighter, so maybe THREE rogues? hmm :?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Even if you neglect ranged weapons, rogues can get a trait fairly early from one of their skills that allow them to treat non-reach weapons as having reach. Essential if you're hiding in the back row.

If you do have an archer rogue, consider a mage as well, as all schools eventually unlock a spell for upgrading arrows.

hoverdog

Developer
Just bought it.

A rogue seems to be more fitting for an unarmed fighter, so maybe THREE rogues? hmm :?
So the final composition is
HAMMERTIME, minotaur warrior with a mace that fucks shit up
Steven Seagull, human BROFISTING rogue
Altair, lizardman assassin
El Toro, minotaur ninja thrower
haven't even finished the first level yet, already found a pressable rock behind those locked snails that doesn't do anything, where's the second one :mad:
cool game

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
log_slimed.png

:love:

Will have to postpone exploring the rest of B4F until tomorrow, though. Got stuffies to do.

Not tellin' 'cause spoilerz

:love:

:rpgcodex:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I just realized I've been playing the game outside of steam. All those achievements! :roll:

Gord

Arcane
Something for the NVidia-fags:

If you have a pair of red-cyan goggles around (or even 3D Vision), try activating 3D Vision (there's the "discovery" option for red-cyan goggles) in LoG. Effect is pretty cool - although I can't distinguish potions anymore with the goggles...

I played with it for a while until I eventually decided that correct colors is more important to me.

JDR13

Arcane
Does anyone know if there's a point of no return as far as the levels are concerned? I'm on the 6th level ("Trapped"), and I'm wondering if I'll be able to go back up at some point. I forgot to do finish the area on level 4 with all the slimes.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think you can go back once you cleared level 6 mostly. I am at level 9 and go back once in a while to retrieve some food/ammo I stashed in a very inconvenient location. (But my stash is too heavy to comfortably move. ._.)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Daltonism?

Game dev artists really should have a table of those colors when doing hidden object "puzzles".

Tell me about it. One of my more impressive accomplishments in gaming was that I played through all three Eye Of The Beholder games without any help whatsoever... except on Level 2 in the first game, where I couldn't find the lock to open the final door. I had the key, but no lock. Turns out the lock was on the wall right next to the door, but it was the EXACT SAME COLOUR AS THE WALL, and therefore very easy to miss.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm at level 11 now. Feels so close to the end, but fuck this shit is brutal now.

I don't get all the bad mouthing mages get in this thread. With a fireball my mage does 40-200 damage. The warrior with the supersword does maybe 30-160 damage, but that 160 is only on a very rare special attack(flurry of blows). My backstabbing rogue is definitely my least useful party member, does like 3-40 damage. Totally regret not speccing ranged. I think frost/fire arrows could do a lot more damage.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't get all the bad mouthing mages get in this thread. With a fireball my mage does 40-200 damage. The warrior with the supersword does maybe 30-160 damage, but that 160 is only on a very rare special attack(flurry of blows). My backstabbing rogue is definitely my least useful party member, does like 3-40 damage. Totally regret not speccing ranged. I think frost/fire arrows could do a lot more damage.
Enchanted arrows tend to do around 50-80. They're useful but kind of annoying to have to collect, and attack speed is way lower, especially using the crossbow.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I don't know, my rogue is the fastest party member I have.

I really don't like this maze filled with raptors. Are they finite or am I dealing with infinitely respawning raptors here? They're such a timesink. (Level 9)

Also, I am wondering if I should give my two fighters 20 Athleticism to carry more stuff around or max their weapon skills instead. Doubling the attack speed of swords would be very nice. Seems like there would be only enough skill points to max 1 skill at the most.

Gord

Arcane
From what I read on the official forums, it might be that you have to focus mostly on one skill to max it out, with only a few points in others?
I wonder, however, how many skill-books you can find, so far I've only found one, then again I'm only on level 5.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I have only found one and just began exploring level 9. There's probably another one.
The way this is going you're going to be able to spend maybe 65 points or so a character-
And this is me being optimistic. Forget about maxing more than one skill.

chzr

Scholar
yecIY.jpg

well fuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom