Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmm, did you get Venom Blade or something in floor 4? It's a dagger with poison gas charges.
Also, congrats! That was quick.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really don't like this maze filled with raptors. Are they finite or am I dealing with infinitely respawning raptors here? They're such a timesink. (Level 9)

I... am not really sure. They certainly seemed to become fewer and fewer, but each time I went through there would always be one or two running around. And yeah, they're a pain.

By my current estimate, I think you'd get like 70-90 skill points or so in total.

yecIY.jpg

well fuck
You probably missed the secret in the first room :troll:

Also: Did anyone encounter any air-magic resistant enemies?

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm not really sure that future expansions will have outdoor areas. The current game was obviously kept to a dungeon setting because it was supposed to be a DM throwback, but it's a lot easier and cheaper to implement a small set of interior dungeon graphics than a varied set of outdoor ones, NPCs, etc.

Then again, I guess they have the solid engine now and a much bigger budget than last time. :smug:

chzr

Scholar
Hmm, did you get Venom Blade or something in floor 4? It's a dagger with poison gas charges.
yeah got that one. read there's supposed to be hidden feathercap on lvl 4 but no idea where if it's the case.

I really don't like this maze filled with raptors. Are they finite or am I dealing with infinitely respawning raptors here? They're such a timesink. (Level 9)
it seems they respawn until you finish the floor, after that i think it either stops or slows down a lot.

By my current estimate, I think you'd get like 70-90 skill points or so in total.

Also: Did anyone encounter any air-magic resistant enemies?

nothing is air resistant, but the spells cost you more mana compared to fire (and skills points). also you should get around 12-13 levels so if you want to max something, you pretty much have to put there everything into it.

RatFink

Educated
just one thing that crossed my mind.

i became pretty attached to my party...so in future dungeons or rather future content it would be great to be able to further use your rag-tag group of adventurers
especially because you are only getting a "set" amount of skillpoints in this first dungeon.

edit: well...if there will be more magic and skill groups that might actually not be that good an idea....
first thinkin and then posting might be a valid way to go about contributing stuff....M:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Spoilers bros, use them!

Oh shit son I might have to play it now. That was my biggest criticism. (I know, sad right?)
Don't join the dark side! Vogel turned his back on us for the casual crowd. At least try the Demo before buying.

Peter

Arcane
Level 6 spoilers

FUCKING SPIDERS. Lost all but one of my characters (my minotaur fighter) fighting them. Side-stepping and hitting the ogre in the back took like 10 minutes with just one character. But it felt so fucking good when I finally got to the life crystal with just the one character, instead of reloading my save.

The more I play this, the more I'm enjoying it, btw. Certainly RPG of the year so far, though I guess that's not saying much.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Are treasures and Taarum's or whatever the fucker's called notes useful for anything or are they purely for fluff purposes?

Marsal

Arcane
Well, it seems Jasede is the end boss... Funny, but ruined my immershun.

I don't get everyone (especially Codexers) praising the game so much. It's the definition of "good for what it is". Combat system is shit, combat is banal, shit, boring™. Atmosphere is great, puzzles are awesome, graphics are good, everything else is bad to mediocre. Basically an "artsy" platformer, from another perspective. Just because it plays like an old game, doesn't make it good.

I will never understand how you can work on a game for years and manage to make such a shitty RPG system. Not even ambitious, but flawed, just shitty. Ranged weapons always hit, really?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Stuck in the Pillared Hallway. Help?
you have to find the holy scriptures
detailed walkthrough:
go to the holy scriptorium place or whatever it's called, to open the iron door, you have to destroy the tapestry right next to it. inside you will find a note with instructions

Regdar

Arcane
detailed walkthrough:
go to the holy scriptorium place or whatever it's called, to open the iron door, you have to destroy the tapestry right next to it. inside you will find a note with instructions
Yeah but how do you execute it in a 2x8 corridor.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
detailed walkthrough:
one row is left, one row is right

Marsal

Arcane
detailed walkthrough:
Here's the beginning of the sequence, numbers are steps in order (you have to repeat the pattern 2x, it may be inverted, don't remember the orientation):

START
1X
X8
X9
X10

Regdar

Arcane
Yep, figured it out, thanks! Sorry, can't brofist for some reason.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, it seems Jasede is the end boss... Funny, but ruined my immershun.

I don't get everyone (especially Codexers) praising the game so much. It's the definition of "good for what it is". Combat system is shit, combat is banal, shit, boring™. Atmosphere is great, puzzles are awesome, graphics are good, everything else is bad to mediocre. Basically an "artsy" platformer, from another perspective. Just because it plays like an old game, doesn't make it good.

I will never understand how you can work on a game for years and manage to make such a shitty RPG system. Not even ambitious, but flawed, just shitty. Ranged weapons always hit, really?

How sad, I wish someone more eloquent had replied to this before I got a chance to. I don't have the right words to properly defend or elucidate my arguments.

Let me begin by asking: Why do people enjoy 80's music? Or 70's music, especially the songs that weren't all that good, but quite catchy? Well, it's because they associate memories with those songs. More often than not, it is nostalgia that can make a pop song more timeless than it could be on its own merits. Rarely, but wonderfully, sometimes nostalgia will accompany a work that was actually good - that is a lovely feeling or experience to be exposed to.

Now, let me talk about Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore- they are all of the same genre as this game: the Dungeon Crawl Blobber (DCB). Distinct from the traditional CRPG Dungeon Crawl (CDC), these games play in real-time. Their focus is not on building your characters or on deep combat but rather on the challenge of your wits and reflexes. Much effort was put into testing you in the setting of various dungeons: your perception, your dexterity with the mouse and keys, your sense of direction, your mapping, your organisation skills, and so on. This is different from what the CRPG Dungeon Crawl tests: tactical and strategic thinking and planning. Often these two blend together. In other games, they are very distinct. Dungeon Master is a DCB, Wizardry would be a CDC. Later Might and Magic games are CDC, though they share DCB elements.

In any case, you might be tempted to think that DCBs are stripped down and primitive forms of CDCs- and that is one way of looking at it. Another is that they are an evolution- but into a very different direction, testing a different skillset: puzzle solving, reflexes, and so on. They are enjoyable in this discipline in their own right. Therefore Grimrock is indeed a good game because - if you judge fairly - you always judge a game in the context of its genre - or the genres it borrows elements of. And in the context of being a DCB, Grimrock is a very good one. It scores in all the important categories: dungeon layout, puzzles, secrets, atmosphere and lacks in the less important ones: character development. The combat being real-time is no issue as that is simply part of being a DCB. Similarly, the lack of good character development - while a grave flaw for a CDC game - hardly matters in a DCB as the focus has never been on character building in the first place. It's just a cherry on top. Unfortunately in Grimrock, the cherry tastes slightly bitter.

This game does not have a shitty DCB system. If you are going to judge it from the likes of a CDC game you would be no better than someone who only reviews Flight Simulators for criticizing Civilization 5 for not supporting a Force Feedback Joystickl and rating the game poorly because it doesn't have a display of the current speed of your craft. Oh, and there is no plane you can fly with your input device, at least not into all three dimensions.

The term RPG can't just be bludgeoned around. You have to be aware of its different sub-genres and respect a game that tries to fit into one of them on those merits. Else- well, else why shouldn't we hate Painkiller and Doom for not having a cover system? After all, a cover system and regenerating health are staples of modern FPS games, and they lack those. Therefore they are deeply flawed- except that they are a different kind, a different sub-genre of FPS and that logic doesn't apply.

Well, that was a lot of drivel to say "It's good for what it is, you'll have to deal with people missing an old genre that isn't being made anymore. Plus, what RPG these days comes with puzzles?"

Regdar

Arcane
Everything about this game suits me except the fucking combat interface. The motherfuckers who made it obviously have no idea what carpal tunnel syndrome is.

And then, why would you even ruin a perfectly good game with shitty twitch based combat? Reading sea defending it saying "it's meant to be twitchy and retarded, it's part of the challenge" brought a fucking tear to my eye. It's like Dead Space devs saying broken mouse controls on PC is now part of the survival horror experience.

I understand people waiting for a game like this for a long time, and I'm enjoying the parts in-between combat as well, just... this shit is fucking retarded, sorry. Codex needs to learn to be intellectually honest with itself even when there are strong emotions involved.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So are there any upcoming RPG titles that can top LoG this year? Because so far it looks like my game of the year has come already.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I have to agree that the combat isn't the best out there. It's kinda tense, but I don't see how anyone can say it has depth to it. You kite the enemies around and hit them with all you've got until they explode. And I do think the combat is the worst part of the game. Luckily, there's not too much of it, and the ever-present possibility of death heightened my enjoyment of the exploration.

The character development system and the spells are also kinda meh, but that's about what I got for serious complaints.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So are there any upcoming RPG titles that can top LoG this year? Because so far it looks like my game of the year has come already.

Probably not, and that's very sad...Next year will be better I hope.

I was betting on Risen 2 but PB went full retard with it.

Peter

Arcane
I know I'll just be repeating what some others have said, but fuck everyone, the combat is great. While hotkeys would be nice, mouse controls add a frantic feel to it, especially when you have to change items or cast spells something. And waltzing with the enemies is super fun. I can't even coherently argue with naysayers because 1) I'm not eloquent enough, and 2) as much as I hate saying this usually, in this case it really is a question of taste.

Yes, it's not tactical, but it's plain old fun.

Multi-headed Cow

Well, Banner Saga is supposed to be this year. And... Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. Surely those can compete with LoG for RPGOTY.

Gord

Arcane
Jasede has said it pretty well, I think.

This game was never supposed to provide highly tactical, turn-based combat and a complex character system.
Obviously if you expect that, you will be disappointed.
What they wanted to do, they do quite well, for the most part that is.

But the issue there is the expectation, not necessarily the game, imho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom