Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

oscar

Arcane
Apparently lunatic just makes them likely to start up random murder plots.

Kayerts

Arcane
Has anyone tested out what the Lunatic trait does?

-25 vassal relations, -25 relations to opposite sex, -50 "rationality" on the AI's part (so, behavior becomes more random). It's also used in determining eligibility for a lot of events.

Also bros, I married a princess of Wales and killed her brother and father so she got the throne. Just got twin sons off of her. If she dies, the throne goes to one of the sons, but Wales remains independent even though a member of my house/dynasty is on the throne. How would I go about blobbing Wales in to Ireland in this situation? Would I have to make the son that inherits Wales the heir to the Irish throne? I've got elective succession, so I could do that if need-be.
Edit: Appears to be the case, but now things are going pear shaped.

Yeah, that's the only solution. If it were a lower title (e.g., a duchy) you could vassalize your wife's heir (not always the same as your own). But that won't work if he inherits a kingdom, because kings can't be vassals of other kings.

another modding question
do any of you bros know how to change the name of a province? I'm in a constant state of rage when I see my pagan provinces named Marienburg or Danzig :x

For provinces, there's actually an in-game solution; on the main province tab of a province you own, just click the name, and you'll get a cursor. I seem to recall having to click around in an unintuitive fashion to get the name to "stick," but it does work.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
There are a bunch of people over at the Paradox forums threatening to not buy any Pdox games in the future because their Europe-straddling empires are no longer stable. So this probably makes the patch a net positive.

Wait, there are people who want blobs out there?

Anyway, installed patch, gonna see how it holds up later tonight, as I endeavor to convert the Ilkhanate to Iconoclasm.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At first, I played the game in order to become a blob.

Then I found out that this is the one Paradox game where becoming a blob is not the point at all. The entire point is intrigue, murder, marriage and getting fucked over.

And here, getting fucked over is actually fun, not only because it can lead to hilarious things happening but also because you can swear vengeance and come back in style once you got a good ruler again.

Also, if your vassals rebel all the time, just use assassins. Assassins are fun!

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
another modding question
do any of you bros know how to change the name of a province? I'm in a constant state of rage when I see my pagan provinces named Marienburg or Danzig :x
\localisation\text1.scv has most (if not all) title names. If something's missing, check another .csv. (oh, and don't modify those files with excel or simillar editors, just use something simple like wordpad). You can also change names in game if the county in question is part of your realm, by clicking on the name in the province info window.

Oh, and I do urge everyone to give the latest version of Ck2plus a try. Wiz has been doing a lot of stuff I wouldn't agree with but overall it's still miles ahead of vanilla in terms of content, playability and fun.

Indeed, CK2plus is THE mod to try. Out of curiosity, what parts of the mod do you not agree with?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I figured it out, windows search can't find words inside .csv files

anyway, I married my inbred courier with my weak courier. the results are somewhat funny. they had three children already (which is a lot when you consider inbred fertility penalty): the first died an inbred freak right after birth, the second one was a freak too, but survived for two years, the last one, surprisingly, was normal - but died of pneumonia at age three.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Indeed, CK2plus is THE mod to try. Out of curiosity, what parts of the mod do you not agree with?

Mostly that he's been attempting to balance it too much lately for his beloved mp. And with that been nerving and cutting out features and made some questionable design decisions regarding others. No prestige from wars and holy wars actually costing piety for instance? I get why for balance reasons but makes absolutely no sense in the setting. For me this is a Shakespearian Dynasty Simulator, not Starcraft II MP.

Still, the mod has way too much awesome to let stuff like this detract.

Renegen

Arcane
MP is ridiculous imbalanced though, and furthermore every Paradox game makes it too easy to conquer the whole world. I have no problem with some small duchy starting a war against the muslim world, but the consequences better be close to real life.

scratchmonkey

Educated

Yeah, and they are pissed. There's at least one guy who's really upset because he was very close to "WC" (World Conquest, which okay, it's only Europe and parts of Asia and Africa, champ) and now his vassals in far flung provinces are revolting.

They tend to jump back and forth between decent points, like that relationship with the liege maybe should have a bigger impact (as it is, distance affects revolt chance twice as much as how much they like you) and that you might want to take the strength of the vassal into account (i.e. if dude has literally no army, he probably shouldn't try to revolt and somebody who has a quite powerful personal force maybe should be more likely to) and horrible points, such as: if this is a strategy game, you have to be able to conquer the whole map (because otherwise, it's not strategy, for some reason) or that the developers are required to make a game that plays the way people (apparently all people) want it to, so removing the ability to conquer everything is a major shirking of their obligations.

Most of the lolz are in the Maintaing Large Realms thread in the main Crusader Kings II forum.

Secretninja

Cipher
Not sure how I have never heard of this, but I am definitely buying it next time I am at a place with unlimited internets so I can download it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yeah, and they are pissed. There's at least one guy who's really upset because he was very close to "WC" (World Conquest, which okay, it's only Europe and parts of Asia and Africa, champ) and now his vassals in far flung provinces are revolting.

They tend to jump back and forth between decent points, like that relationship with the liege maybe should have a bigger impact (as it is, distance affects revolt chance twice as much as how much they like you) and that you might want to take the strength of the vassal into account (i.e. if dude has literally no army, he probably shouldn't try to revolt and somebody who has a quite powerful personal force maybe should be more likely to) and horrible points, such as: if this is a strategy game, you have to be able to conquer the whole map (because otherwise, it's not strategy, for some reason) or that the developers are required to make a game that plays the way people (apparently all people) want it to, so removing the ability to conquer everything is a major shirking of their obligations.

Most of the lolz are in the Maintaing Large Realms thread in the main Crusader Kings II forum.

You are exaggerating, I just came from their forums and there was only one topic on this. And most people in there defended the anti blobbing measures.

Now they should add shared score for dynasty members you put on thrones or another one, separate, dynastic score for all members of your dynasty. Then you would feel accomplished.

scratchmonkey

Educated
It's only a handful of people, yeah, they do seem pretty upset though (and I took those two arguments almost verbatim).

As for your latter point, don't they do this already? I was under the impression that other rulers of your dynasty added to your final tally.

Renegen

Arcane
The game is a dynasty game. Map painting should be about having your dynasty painted across the whole world instead of your state. Really, states didn't matter as much as the personal ambitions of people. I think when Paradox finally introduces cadet branches, dynasty map painting will become more satisfying.

Tigranes

Arcane
Playing 1.05c with a ruler-designed Count of Artois. The DLC is overpriced if you want a full blown character editor to essentially 'mod' the game, but if you just want to roll your own dude it's fine. I had a 24-year-old with 20 Martial and a few traits, none of which were too great or screwed up. Waiting for CK2Plus to update itself a bit more so currently 'vanilla'.

The game hasn't changed fundamentally but I like what I see. The Duke of Flanders, my liege, kept declaring war of independence on France; now what I can do is wait and see who's winning, and when France charges up with a big army I switch sides and join the war for the French. Did that a couple of times while gobbling up a couple of counties with fabricated claims + mercenaries, and King Philippe decided to reward me by giving me the duchy. The original guy lived till 69, so 45 years of game-time, now with 8 counties, relatives on 2 other counties and looking to establish some form of lowlands regime.

Plots are better now with interesting stuff, like revoking vassal titles, but I still think they were really way too simple at release and need to be fleshed out more. HRE and BE remain big blobs, but it's only been <50 years, so we'll see.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
MP is ridiculous imbalanced though, and furthermore every Paradox game makes it too easy to conquer the whole world.
With exception of V2 as an inciv. And HoI2 as a better China.

I have no problem with some small duchy starting a war against the muslim world, but the consequences better be close to real life.

You mean they would backstabb each other and the small duchy would come unopposed. And after few ten years they would get theirs shit together but they discover it's small and harmless thus they would tolerate it?

CKII has shitty diplomacy. Thus aside of marriages, and assassinations there is not much more to do.

Renegen

Arcane
MP is ridiculous imbalanced though, and furthermore every Paradox game makes it too easy to conquer the whole world.

I have no problem with some small duchy starting a war against the muslim world, but the consequences better be close to real life.

You mean they would backstabb each other and the small duchy would come unopposed. And after few ten years they would get theirs shit together but they discover it's small and harmless thus they would tolerate it?

CKII has shitty diplomacy. Thus aside of marriages, and assassinations there is not much more to do.
I think the best way to think of the muslim world vs christian world dynamic is like WW2. If one small christian duchy does something minor in the region, they may get left in peace. But if they ever escalate, the other side also escalates. I mean the crusaders were an example of a "coalition of the willing" against a great threat. And the muslims responded with a similar defense. CK2 does have shitty diplomacy, there is no greater sense of being united against an existential threat. You have the HRE that shows all the german states have a loose affiliation, but the HRE is overpowered.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I think the best way to think of the muslim world vs christian world dynamic is like WW2. If one small christian duchy does something minor in the region, they may get left in peace. But if they ever escalate, the other side also escalates. I mean the crusaders were an example of a "coalition of the willing" against a great threat. And the muslims responded with a similar defense. CK2 does have shitty diplomacy, there is no greater sense of being united against an existential threat. You have the HRE that shows all the german states have a loose affiliation, but the HRE is overpowered.
Hence my idea of almost hard-locking all HRE Laws to minimum and making it impossible to change the Election system away. It makes the Holy Roman Emperor largely a figure head, a nominal leader of a loose assortment of lands rife with internal chaos, with the emperor receiving next to no levies or taxes.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem is HRE wasnt destined to fall and end up as a confederation of independent states. In the timeframe of the game HRE could have been successful still. This is why hardcoding shouldnt be the answer here. Remember that at this point France was way weaker of a state than HRE and see how it ended as a absolute monarchy.

HRE and BE just need some special mechanics to flesh out them. Some kind of senate/parliament thing would be great for starters.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I had nothing better to do, so I made an expanded culture name section for Finnish culture (I still gotta someday fix certain problems later when I can be assed, like the existence of Ugric Baltic and Finnish cultures).

finnish = {
graphical_culture = ugricgfx

color = { 0.1 0.6 0.6 }

male_names = {
Aatos Ahma Aimo Armas Arvo Asikko Ensio Haapa Hannu Havu Hintsa Ihanti Into Jalo Jurva Kaleva Kalevi Kettu Kolli Lalli Lauri_Laurence Lemetti
Lempi Menikko Mielikko Mielitty Miemo Mikko_Michael Oiva Onni Otso Päiviö Pentti Rauha Reko Sampo Satajalka Satatieto Seppo Susi Taimi Tapani
Terho Titti Toikka Toivo Tuokki Ukko Uoti Urho Väinö Valta Valto Veli Vesa Villi Voitto
Kalervo Kullervo Lemminkäinen Untamo Ahti Joukahainen
Aikamieli Kaukovalta Kaukomieli Lempo Mielivalta Ikämieli Kultamies Unto Vihas Leino Keihäri Kalpa Nuolia Hirvi Utujoutsi
}
female_names = {
Aamu Aino Hellä Helmi Ilta Kaarina_Catherine Käpy Kielo Kukka Läpsä Lauha Lempi Mahla Maija Marja Mesi Metta Oiva Päivä Päivi Pihla Pilvi Pyry Rauha

Sati
Sisko Suoma Taimi Terhi Tuija Tuovi Tuuli Tuulikki Tyyne Tyyni Vanamo Venla Vesa
Hellikki Ihalempi Ihamuoto Ilma Miela Toivelempi Kulta Kyllikki
}
from_dynasty_prefix = "of "

modifier = default_culture_modifier
}

sser

Arcane
Developer
In my game as Lubeck -- wherein I took over Denmark and Mecklenburg and had duchies out the ass, huzzah for the little man -- the HRE had both England and Italy. It was kind of dumb. The Byzantine Empire didn't budge, ever. Other dramatic shifts were: Poland gobbling up the east; then being replaced by Hungary after something happened (I don't know what); Spain being lost to the Moslems; the Golden Horde appearing and then within the year having territories stretching right to the HRE. Not sure how that happened, but there they were.

I have a question about duchies, by the way. If I am King (as I became King of Denmark); should I relinquish the duchies and counties? How does it work exactly? I was hoarding all my titles and land, afraid to turn them over to anyone, but it was pissing everyone off. I was thinking maybe if I was king then all the titles below wouldn't be "lost" territories if doled out. And it would work the same way on down: that is, if I was a duke, then counties would not be "lost" on handing away; but if I was just a Count, then giving a county away would be a lost county. I'm not sure how the gameplay mechanic works, but I'm assuming that's how it is?

And the game is so hilariously awesome at times... I had an heir whose stats were completely, utterly OP. And then I found a Danish girl whose stats were equally ridiculous. Naturally I had them both married at 16 and felt like my kingdom was set for a bright future. One year later they both flee my land to lower Scandinavia where they join the Danish court and declare war on my kingdom. Those were some rough years... and so my bright future was wasted on these conflicts of terror, and all their kids were caught up in the crossfire of assassins (not mine, either); and the wife was eventually betrayed by someone in their ranks and imprisoned, while my son eventually came back to me an old, frail man, no longer fit for rule. God... so awesome, haha. And all my rulers after that were total, incompetent asses, too.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
emperors can have kings as vassals, kings can have dukes as vassals, dukes can have counts as vassals. so if you're king, you can hand out duchies and counties without losing them as vassals (check the heirs of those you hand them out to, though... you might lose them that way)... also: there is a limit of how many duchies a king can have before the vassals become grumpy about the king hoarding titles (unlike CK1, where hoarding titles gave you bonuses to prestige), you can see a detailed analysis about how much hate you generate through what by checking the relationship tooltip on your vassals' screens (-10 per duchy over limit iirc)... also don't hand out duchies that de jure cover areas you want to hold on to as your personal demesne, because the duke will keep asking you to hand those over and denying that request incurs a relationship malus

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
King can have two ducal titles, any more and you incur relation penalty with your vassals. You should pick two biggest duchies and keep those, give out the rest. Preferably to people not from your dynasty - since killing those gives you kinslayer trait. Works kinda counter to the game idea doesnt it?

How to do this? Just pick a count/baron/duke/bishop/mayor/etc and give him the title - note however that ducal titles can only be given to already landed people.

You "lose" territories ie control over them when you hand out count title, not duke.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Ah, makes sense. IIRC, I had four duchies and was incurring some pretty harsh penalties.

BTW, does anyone enjoy those really bleak moments in the game? After the clusterfuck that was the above family-conflict, my leaders all got assassinated or ditched the shitty place and I was left with a small boy universally hated by everyone. I could have sworn that kid was just fucked, even disliked by his regent, but he managed to get to adulthood (having only one friend, his Croatian super-tutor; who he later got frisky with, hilariously enough). He arrived into a role of leadership with -80 ratings with so many vassals; but through time I managed to get the whole kingdom behind him and he went on to be a pretty solid leader (coming to be King of Denmark, actually). I dunno, it's been a long time since I've played a game with such great, procedural storylines developing (not counting Dwarf Fortress, I guess).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
w6wmxz.jpg

Well, with the new patch, at least the HRE has shrunk a little (previously, Poland and Bohemia were their vassals, until they warred for independence). Finally there actually are independence wars by vassals instead of only the wars to depose the liege.

And yes, it's incredibly hilarious how Mauretania managed to rape all of southwest Europe. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom