Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Elder Scrolls Go Online

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Very sad news. I can't see them making a TES VI now, since it'll obviously compete with the MMO. I reckon Bethesda Game Studios will turn their attention to destroying the Fallout franchise and leave Elder Scrolls to Zenimax Online.
Unlikely. The whole tower and stone lore still has to play out. It's been building up since the first game.

Tower and stone?
There are "towers" holding reality up, each of these towers have a "stone" associated with it that powers said tower. In every TES game one of these stones have been destroyed. There's actually speculation on where exactly in Skyrim this happened.

Interesting, never heard that before. I assume in Morrowind it was the Tribunal, in Oblivion (sigh) it was the Amulet of Kings? Skyrim, it was probably Alduin.
Actually, for Morrowind it was the Heart of Lorkhan. http://www.imperial-library.info/content/nu-mantia-intercept

Deleted member 7219

Third-person, cartoony graphics. Fuck them to hell.

Sul

Savant
Very sad news. I can't see them making a TES VI now, since it'll obviously compete with the MMO. I reckon Bethesda Game Studios will turn their attention to destroying the Fallout franchise and leave Elder Scrolls to Zenimax Online.
Unlikely. The whole tower and stone lore still has to play out. It's been building up since the first game.

Tower and stone?
There are "towers" holding reality up, each of these towers have a "stone" associated with it that powers said tower. In every TES game one of these stones have been destroyed. There's actually speculation on where exactly in Skyrim this happened.

Interesting, never heard that before. I assume in Morrowind it was the Tribunal, in Oblivion (sigh) it was the Amulet of Kings? Skyrim, it was probably Alduin.
For Skyrim it's the White Tower (Throat of the World), however I don't know about it's stone. But keep in mind that stones can change or hold more than one tower, take the Heart for exemple, it was the stone for the Red Mountain, the Brass Tower (Numidium) and Akulakhan.
In TESV no tower was destroyed but that can happen if the Stormcloak victory is cannon since everything that the Thalmor want is to destroy the last Tower, making everything go back to the state of no-linear time before Akatosh sacrificed himself along with other 7 Aedra to brind order to the Wheel, and only the Empire can stop them. Pity that Numidium was blown into Aetherius, a giant Tower-Mecha that can tear space-time itself by the simple act of walking, the Empire is almost nothing without him (or some CHIM around to bring order).

Sul

Savant
Fuck, I'll post the whole damn thing instead.

53wzyh.jpg

fngz7q.jpg

iyifc6.jpg

Arikel

Novice
Or rather, Skyrim with Guns: Set in the frozen post-apocalyptic wastelands of Quebec, interact with French pidgin-speaking locals, fight giant mutated bears, and choose between the expanding rule of the Brotherhood of Steel or the freedom-fighting New Separatists!

Are there any native bird specimen in the area they could use?

This is just about the most awesome idea I've heard, as long as they let obisidan handle it ;)

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Game Informer scans said:
The crowning of the Emperor isn't through a vote or other social mechanism. Once your faction has taken the Imperial City, the player with the highest contributions to the war will receive the title according to a calculation that is still being finalized.

Blizzard used to have a system like this when selecting a PvP grandmaster. There is a good reason why they dropped it.

Actually, Emperor-by-vote would be a pretty good idea. Interfaction relations amongst guilds is a recipe for drama if my time watching Eve Online is anything to go by. And what would a TES game be without that?

Edwin

Scholar
as long as they keep churning out single player games I dont have problem with MMO adaptations(the problem is that usually they dont)

MMOs are fun but its not for some1 with an active life,I no longer feel like wasting weeks on getting fucking pixels is a good time investment and I hate not having the best gear evah

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I will inevitably end up playing this as long as it's first-person and emphasizes exploration over socialization. Also, praying fed ex quests are minimal. At this point, Elder Scrolls plays like an online game, anyway, minus the save-the-world storyline.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Actually, fuck it! I'm excited. This is where it was all meant to go, anyway. It's Elder Scrolls! The NPC's have as much personality as anyone playing. Might as well put them to work as mannekins.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I don't understand: how is an MMO ES going to differ all that much from a SP ES game? Apart from having the place filled with 'humin playas' the actual structure, quests, locations are tailor made for a MMO already.

I have to agree, TES games are just plain boring to me. Perhaps filling up one of their worlds with other LARPERS will make it more exciting for many people. I had more fun researching and installing mods than I did playing the game for a whole fifteen hours. It's aimed at the casual market and those that don't like video games, it could make money, who knows.

Not sure why I'm even reading a TES thread, let alone replying. I suppose it's a good way to find out which posters tastes are diametrically opposed to your own.

I don't understand: how is an MMO ES going to differ all that much from a SP ES game?

By the fact that there's a monthly fee of course. Glorious plan: make exactly the same game they've been making up until now, except charge people every month instead of just on release. Resourceful, isn't it?

The only thing I like about MMORPGs is how incredibly definitive they are at signaling the end of a franchise.

Awaiting 500 page LOL Bethesda/TESOnline thread

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Third person = WoW Clone.

Disappointment = 99.9% plus that 0.01 on the side.

I wish people would get over the cloning bit and devise a real MMO on par with the MUDs on Telnet. I'd play!

Monolith

Prophet
The ES games always felt like MMORPGs without the players to me. Which is the reason why they were bearable.

With the popularity of the franchise and the target demographic, turning it into a MMO franchise is basically like having a license to print money. They'll make all parts of tamriel available - one add-on at a time. And with the money they will bring joy to hardcore RPG fans with another Fallout game.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
BSB.
P.S. Kingdoms of Amalur were stable even on my comp while Bethpizda can't into coding. Unless they'll buy engine from 3rd party this will be epic fail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom