Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Consolefag talks shit about Witcher 2 - The Article

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shame there is no possibility to comment. I would enjoy the rage of TW2 fans.

Anyway, that guy is the worst type of the consolefags. He is dumb, stupid, casual player who probably needs several minutes to figure out the rules of pacman.

waywardOne

Arcane
What the fuck. Somehow he manages to contradict himself in ultimate tl;dr format:

Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter

41dNexifPeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

In Extra Lives, acclaimed writer and life-long video game enthusiast Tom Bissell takes the reader on an insightful and entertaining tour of the art and meaning of video games.

In just a few decades, video games have grown increasingly complex and sophisticated, and the companies that produce them are now among the most profitable in the entertainment industry. Yet few outside this world have thought deeply about how these games work, why they are so appealing, and what they are capable of artistically. Blending memoir, criticism, and first-rate reportage, Extra Lives is a milestone work about what might be the dominant popular art form of our time.

Grimlorn

Arcane
TW2 felt like a console game from the very start. It was easy to tell it was designed to be played with a pad, and some design choice were clearly reminiscent of that of console games. Even if it was developped for PC first, it was obvious it was designed to be ported later.
This is what I thought too. It was a console game released on the PC first. They even ripped their combat model from a console game and made it worse.

Kaol

Educated
I don't get it, Witcher 2 isnt complicated at all, its just like every other fucking ARPG out there.

If it was published by EA i'm sure they would like it.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I didn't play through Witcher 1 because it was too boring or "complicated" (lol)

Sorry but adding a bunch of trivial bullshit like potions mixing and having to research skulls and shit wasn't fun. Have potions but don't require me to get a PHD in potions to make them.

I wanted to enjoy it too to support my Polish comrades.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
this is what you get when you get a person who is a whole lot more writer than gamer talking about games

the only real difference between him and a newly registered gamespy member's complaints is that he has the ability to make his conclusions look presentable

i.e
The Witcher 2's inventory system feels like reading a bus schedule in another language on another planet. When the game tries to help you, it often makes things worse. Yes, The Witcher 2's tutorial does the impossible: It somehow succeeds in making its already too-complicated gameplay systems harder to understand. It took me six and a half minutes to figure out how to make one potion.

in place of

OMFG TH INVENTORY IS TH WORSE POS EVERRRR

AN DA GAY AZZ TUTORIAL,, WASTE O MY FUKEN TIME >_<

I SRSLY SPENT SIX!!! MINS!!!!! LRNIN 2 MAKE 1 G*D D*MN POTION LOL

FUK DIS GAME N IF U LIKE IT GET A LIFE NERDS LMAO

Commander Xbox

Learned
who cares. video game ''critics'' are nothing more than moronic fanboys and effiminate nerds given writing jobs. they have zero qualifications or even the ability to express themselves in a coherent manner half of the time

Kitako

Arcane
CDdN7.jpg

This kind of people make me sick. Why don't they stick to games like that Katy Perry abominion?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
TW2 was banalshit boring though. Most fights could be won with quen (think that's the sign, TWitcher was kinda forgettable) and tumble. Apparently the polish approach to RPG innovation goes along the lines of:

"Zho... In old rpg you roll ze dice in fight. Hov ve make better?"
"Yuri, I hav idea! In Twitcher, ve roll entire character in fight!"
"Genius! You can hav potato!"

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
who cares. video game ''critics'' are nothing more than moronic fanboys and effiminate nerds given writing jobs. they have zero qualifications or even the ability to express themselves in a coherent manner half of the time

Yeah they should incorporate more alpha nerds and non-fanboys from the Codex to write reviews.

Stunner.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
TW2 was banalshit boring though. Most fights could be won with quen (think that's the sign, TWitcher was kinda forgettable) and tumble. Apparently the polish approach to RPG innovation goes along the lines of:

"Zho... In old rpg you roll ze dice in fight. Hov ve make better?"
"Yuri, I hav idea! In Twitcher, ve roll entire character in fight!"
"Genius! You can hav potato!"

To be fair, they've kept patching, adding and modifying the combat system the whole year, in effect removing inverted difficulty curve, at least on the highest difficulty settings (Hard, Dark and Insane). Now Quen is just one-hit shield only, the less vigour you have the less damage you deal (which also reduces effectiveness of Quen drastically), Riposte has been improved to block multiple attacks (making it from worthless to most useful), Blocking is still possible with empty vigour bar (though it does not block 100% of damage then) and human enemies were given ability to throw daggers and bombs.

It's still rolling heavy, though (due to boss battle design), but on account of limited space during combat and weaker Quen (which has become somehow overshadowed by fully upgraded Aard) it's not one solution to rule them all anymore (except for god-attrocious boss battles). Besides, rolling is just an (awfully displaced) animation that aims to depict dodging - which was intended as the main device in combat. Otherwise, how would you imagine taking on 7++ enemies by yourself? They would steamroll you with sheer bodyweight.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The combat system is still broken, but the game is playable without Quen/roll abuse. On normal difficulty you only have to roll in a few boss fights. On hard and dark mode you can stop rolling after the first chapter or so if you put your points in sword skills and take the skill that reduces backstab damage.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" didn't you see how bad that tanked? It sold even worse than Witcher 2."

Don't lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom