Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

curry

Arcane
Why did 5 of my 7 kids get gluttonous even though neither parent is nor any of their teachers have it? Is it just a weird random fluke?

No kids of mine are to be fatties!

Then educate them yourself. Isn't that what you backwards Kwas do :smug:

Phelot

Arcane
Why did 5 of my 7 kids get gluttonous even though neither parent is nor any of their teachers have it? Is it just a weird random fluke?

No kids of mine are to be fatties!

Then educate them yourself. Isn't that what you backwards Kwas do :smug:

Did you write that just to make that joke? You can see I said none of the teachers have it.

Kayerts

Arcane
Yes, but during the child-rearing process, the AI makes decisions about how to raise kids. While there is usually a clearly optimal choice ("should I teach my kid to be brave, or FUCKING MURDER HIM? Moral dilemma!"), the AI is not very rational about that. AI educators frequently choose the option leading to a vice even if the educator himself lacks that vice. Hence, educating the kid yourself will usually result in the best collection of traits (unless you have a ton of bad traits yourself).

oscar

Arcane
I don't really understand the "hey pick between getting a good trait or a bad trait" education events. Are they for if you want to personally mess up someone else's kid your teaching? "Let's make the shittiest king we can and see what happens" fun?

As it stands they just mean it's pretty much never worth it to let the AI educate. If my ruler has a shitty learning stat, I sometimes let someone with a high learning educate them for the last few years (so they don't get Amateurish Plotter or something). Is this worth it?

It also means the AI tends to have worse rulers then the player.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually maturation trait is also apparently random with chance modifier based on stats.

BTW, Gluttonous has one of the mos hilarious events in the game: Stuck In A Doorway. After the perilous ordeal the king has two options: No more overeating, or, Expand doorways.

Anyway, I thought I should start working on making the traditionally bad traits like Cruel and Arbitrary have positive effects as well. One idea I was thinking was that traits like Cruel could have a bonus towards reducing Tyranny, meaning that a Cruel and Arbitrary tyrant CAN be cruel and arbitrary.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
All stats should have pluses and minuses. Charitable should give a hit to stewardship for example. Cruel should give martial and intrigue at the expense of piety and diplomacy. Arbitrary? Harder to balance but I guess a prestige bonus makes sense.

I always educate my children myself unless I need a specific type of education or I have so much children that I dont care if some turn out bad.

A thing to discuss here: diplomacy and diplomatic education or stewardship and steward education - which is better for a ruler? Martial and intrigue obviously suck so dont bother with those unless you have good ideas why should your ruler be a grey eminence.

oscar

Arcane
Charitable/Greedy is sort of in the right direction as Greedy gives you a 10% tax bonus. 'Negative' traits should also open up some beneficial events. But yeah, it should be pretty easy to balance the traits.

I liked how in CK1, the buildings in your province played a role in how you turned out. Libraries and co meant your heir could turn into a bit of a nerdy wimp, while training fields and military upgrades meant your son might neglect the books for sword practise. The Total War games also had this done pretty well. I fondly remember in RTW your heirs turning from upright, virtuous Romans into whoremongering, corrupt drunkards as your income got higher and if you had him situated in towns with taverns and brothels. Not to mention if your temples were dedicated to Bacchus..

Vaarna_Aarne

I'll work more on the event modifier and secondary effect side of things, I don't like all traits having an equal +/- effect only. A good example is Cruel, which I think shouldn't be a bonus to stats, but a prequisite for acting like a tyrant. The current tyranny penalties should really affect those rulers everyone will think of "that was most unbro, bro" if they do that kind of thing. If you're a bloodthirsty maniac, it should really just be a "oh well the guy is a bloodthirsty maniac and not a bro", meaning much lower Tyranny effects (if at all when you have the full set).

Much more interesting if you ask me, gives an alternative method of running things (bad relations by standard, but woe unto whoever pisses you off or has something you want). The Destruction events are the first step towards this, with nasty fellows being really dangerous enemies due to having a habit of wrecking your shit if given a chance to lay siege.

All stats should have pluses and minuses. Charitable should give a hit to stewardship for example. Cruel should give martial and intrigue at the expense of piety and diplomacy. Arbitrary? Harder to balance but I guess a prestige bonus makes sense.

I always educate my children myself unless I need a specific type of education or I have so much children that I dont care if some turn out bad.

A thing to discuss here: diplomacy and diplomatic education or stewardship and steward education - which is better for a ruler? Martial and intrigue obviously suck so dont bother with those unless you have good ideas why should your ruler be a grey eminence.
IMO, Stewardship is the most important skill, because it increases your private army demesne size. Personally I'd say only Learning can afford to be low though.

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright, I'm putting it up as 1.0 version now.

http://www.filedropper.com/kalevalamod10

Everything added (aside from Byzantine Emperor trait lacking an icon) works. Following aspects have been shelved until further notice:

- Siege Destruction events. I couldn't figure out a way to make them occur during sieges, and I do not know if the game has line for generic enemy occupation, so I'd have to add the trigger condition for ALL titles, which I am *not* going to do.

Added:

- Spouses for all the Mansi characters, to stave off "Cumanization" of Khanty-Mansia under AI control.

Shelved:

- Tyranny personality bonuses. Traits cannot change Tyranny points, at least as far as I could find out.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Shelved:

- Tyranny personality bonuses. Traits cannot change Tyranny points, at least as far as I could find out.

You can change the base tyranny opinion modifier to something like zero and create a whole event system for imprisonments, executions and whatever else triggers it. A bit of work of course, but an option.

Vaarna_Aarne

Shelved:

You can change the base tyranny opinion modifier to something like zero and create a whole event system for imprisonments, executions and whatever else triggers it. A bit of work of course, but an option.
The base actions are hardcoded as far as I can tell. Only the on_action reaction events (like evading capture) are not hardcoded, but the tyranny score effects are not part of them.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
opinion_modifiers.txt has opinion_tyrant. Didn't test it, so not sure if this is the right modifier. If it is, you could emulate the old system through the on_action events and tweak it according to whatever the event script allows. The one problem I see is how to precisely determine whether the imprisonment is considered legitimate or not: could have the event check for opinion_tyrant among vassals, but this will take into account older opinion_tyrant modifiers (unless cleared by event?).

Something like: Imprisonment diplomatic action, target gets the standard reaction event which also triggers an event for the liege ("Your vassals are not happy about your tyrannical ways", apply appropriate opinion modifiers, clear the base opinion_tyrant from all vassals?).

Vaarna_Aarne

The thing is, I don't know if there is a sufficient method to replace it. Keep in mind, opinion_modifiers is hardcode, you can't rename or add to it, you can only modify the values. Similarly, I'm not sure if it's possible to clear the opinion_tyrant value, due to lacking knowledge of all the possible commands since no one has compiled a wiki for those yet.

Simply put, currently I can't figure out any intuitive system for a revamp, it'd become an overly complex and haphazard event-driven ramshackle construct.

Tigranes

Arcane
That includes all the old stuff like HRE Crown Authority right? I'll try it for my next game and tell you how it goes. Probably a week or so later.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
The thing is, I don't know if there is a sufficient method to replace it. Keep in mind, opinion_modifiers is hardcode, you can't rename or add to it, you can only modify the values. Similarly, I'm not sure if it's possible to clear the opinion_tyrant value, due to lacking knowledge of all the possible commands since no one has compiled a wiki for those yet.

Simply put, currently I can't figure out any intuitive system for a revamp, it'd become an overly complex and haphazard event-driven ramshackle construct.

Did a quick test. New opinion modifiers can be added into opinion_modifiers.txt, opinion_tyrant can be cleared by event. So far works as I expected. So far.

Uploaded the "mod" as an example how this could be done. http://www.sendspace.com/file/3ytprb

Modified the successful imprisonment event only so try that for testing if you're so inclined. Very crude and the scripting format is laughable but should get the idea across.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I hope you can figure out a way to revise the tyranny system Vaarna_Aarne. It's a general issue in paradox games that being a hardass tyrant will cause far more problems than it solves, while being a kind ruler comes with many benefits and few drawbacks. It gets silly that it's better to let someone revolt than preemptively imprison them.

Vaarna_Aarne

Looked at it, but it'd likely still be a very event driven system as I can't replace the numerical tyrant value. I'll have to put thinking into this.

Hmmmmm... Maybe I could have multiple on-action option boxes that decide the modifier you receive and are available based on traits? Still, that'd be unwieldy if pushed too far, I'd have to limit it to three or four options besides the new tyrant modifier. And even then, there's a problem with the new modifier not having the numerical stacking effect.

Cassidy

Arcane
They should add a "fear" stat to count together with the loyalty stat when defining whether a vassal will rebel or not, and arbitrary, vengeful and cruel tyrants would naturally be more feared than kind, just and forgiving kings. And maybe it could also influence in how willing others are to fabricate claims and declare war, etc, meaning tyrants would have less to fear from plotters and land grabbing attempts.

Although from another timeline, as an example, wasn't Vlad Dracul successful against the Ottomans more from the immense psychological fear their armies had after witnessing all his cruelty to his enemies than from the actual power of his army?

Vaarna_Aarne

I *can't*. I could only make a hamfisted character_flag driven system like Magna Mundi, and I don't want that kind of shit.

As for Vlad Tepes, he was a very effective military commander, guerilla fighter and tactician. The fear factor was not decisive.

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer
I can't play CKII right now. As is typical for Paradox, there is always the promise of that ONE patch that will fix it all, and that patch will be available in two to three weeks (c)(r)(tm) at most. So what I'm doing is waiting until that patch comes online. And then, one day later, patch 1.0xa comes online. And then, 1.0xb. And then, 1.0xc beta. 10xd. 10xe beta. And so on. I just wanna play. :(

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, I did put out a bit of that for my bros already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom