Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA facing massive loss

Gord

Arcane
According to german SPIEGEL Online, EA is facing up to 100 millions of loss this year.
Stocks have apparently lost ~5% in value after the announcement.

Contributing are, according to EA, investments into games for the next generation of consoles (cited as ~80 mil), but it is suspected that sub-par performance of important projects like TOR (only 1,3 million subscribers, down from 1,7 in February) is contributing.

Shareholders won't be pleased, as the quarterly figures are going to be published tomorrow...

Edit: Incidentally, Golem.de has some more information, pointing out that EA did in fact make profit in 2011.

Angthoron

Arcane
Would be amusing if EA invested into developing for next-gen consoles and then Sony and MSoft came out and said "Lol, j/k, we release it in 2 years"

Ah well, won't happen that way but would be amusing anyway.

Phelot

Arcane
Weren't there hints that some Korean MMO company was thinking of buying them?

Also, inb4 pirates are blamed.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Now it's just Activision. Maybe if we're really lucky, Black Ops 2 and Diablo 3 will tank...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
companies are not entitled to growth, deal with it maturely please
investors should remember to manage their expectations

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:? Mind boggles at how much they spent on making/marketing games.
TOR - 1.7 million copies sold. That's a lot of money. Even with subs down, 14 million a month isn't good enough? What the fuck?
Battlefield 3 wasn't a failure either. Though they sold a full weapon unlock pack for $39.99 - :lol:
Mass Effect 3? Aside from angry fans - it sold a lot too within the first month.
So what exactly is the biggest chunk of loss coming from? Are they spending too much on ad or what?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Didn't Tor had a dirty trick with that? Free one month wasn't actually the first month or something?

Wise Emperor

Arcane
I recently played Syndicate. I raged hard at raping the franchise but I honestly can say that new Syndicate is better than comparable Call of Duty franchise. Not that it is some achievement.

Then I found out 3 things about this game which probably contribute to EA losses:
1. Big names doing VA : Brian Cox & Rosario Dawson
2. Shitty dubstep stars : Skrillex & Nero (terrible!)
3. Shitty story writer : Brit sci-fi author http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Morgan (story is so retarded and predictable that Gaider writing seems like modern Dostoevsky)

If you sign big names, pay them big monies and they do hack job, your company will sink. Sink quickly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I recently played Syndicate. I raged hard at raping the franchise but I honestly can say that new Syndicate is better than comparable Call of Duty franchise. Not that it is some achievement.

Then I found out 3 things about this game which probably contribute to EA losses:
1. Big names doing VA : Brian Cox & Rosario Dawson
2. Shitty dubstep stars : Skrillex & Nero (terrible!)
3. Shitty story writer : Brit sci-fi author http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Morgan (story is so retarded and predictable that Gaider writing seems like modern Dostoevsky)

If you sign big names, pay them big monies and they do hack job, your company will sink. Sink quickly.

Yep. There's a weird thing going on here. On one hand, the publishers enslave their developers and turn them into annual release assembly lines. They nickel and dime you with DLC, squeezing out as much profit as they can.
On the other hand, they spend profligately on this vanity shit that nobody cares about.

The AAA videogame industry is schizophrenic - one leg in Hollywood and the other leg in Walmart. No wonder they keep making mistakes.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Everyone knows history of Hollywood? Especially that time in the late 40, when a big movie companies must face a competition from new Television media? Today, "new" indie wave is rising (meaning: growing awareness of it is rising) , history repeats itself, maybe.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EA has been doing some testing of the waters with indie games development, so they're not entirely stupid when it comes to that. The big chain around their necks will nearly always be the fact they're a public company, so they have to do a few backflips here and there to show investors something. You know, I understand that game development costs a lot these days, but it really didn't back when these companies went IPO.

kazgar

Arcane
Just read elsewhere, need to find confirmation.

Regarding the TOR numbers:
The currently have 1.3mil but that is counting people who only play on free weekends (yep, they made it free2play on weekends). It's a sinking ship.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Just read elsewhere, need to find confirmation.

Regarding the TOR numbers:
The currently have 1.3mil but that is counting people who only play on free weekends (yep, they made it free2play on weekends). It's a sinking ship.

They also gave a free month to anybody with a level capped character even if they had walked away months ago. This was done in April and the 1.3 Million number comes from the end of that free month. I doubt they have a 1 million people playing right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom