Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You favorite (non RPG) games that are NOT regarded as Classics!

poetic codex

Augur
that you're embarassed to admit that you like.

Riana Rouge: Impossible to find in retail stores but there are...other methods...with which one might obtain this game. I'm an atmosphere fag and this game was a surprisingly atmospheric and surreal adventure. I really digged the eighties vibe and the cheesy over-the-top acting. There is also a genuinely erotic and sensual lesbian lovemaking scene towards the end which is immedately followed by some of the creepiest death animations if you make the wrong dialogue choice.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Samurai Warriors 2
Samurai Warriors 2 Empire: with a heavy dose of strategy.

Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series has some good, often mindless, games. Still good.
My favorite is Dynasty Warriors 4. With voice over!

Other than that, my first game comes to mind.
Dominion: Storm Over Gift 3

1998 RTS, this John Romero's bastard, if it ever had potential, failed at it on many levels. Still, I loved the game, and am not embarrassed to admit it.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Eh? DW5-6 got some strange interpretation of certain characters (like Zhang he) that I dont like.Not like Samurai Warriors 2.

When it comes to story and characters, I've only followed those on DW4 and SW2.
Others which I've played were always mindless hacking parties with some buddies of mine, since I've never owned those games. Still, fun times.

.Pixote.

Augur
Kingpin: Life of Crime (1999), I can't imagine this game is considered a classic by todays standards. Still it's one of my favorite FPS.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Like half this thread, I'll go with Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series., best co-op games ever. The PS2 ones had those amazing & hard battles objectives to get the 4th weapons, and Chaos mode was REALLY hard...I really don't know why they fucked that so much on the new ones...removing campaign co-op in DW7 was HERESY!

My favorite is Dynasty Warriors 4. With voice over!
You are a True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!:bro:

deuxhero

Arcane
Lost Kingdoms sadly doesn't enjoy the cult stats the other 2 game card based fantasy Gamecube exclusive series.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Battlezone 2. First one is obviously a great but the second was criticized to hell and back. I still like it though.
Blood 2.
Daikatana. Once I got past the god awful future levels I actually enjoyed the other time periods somewhat.
Soldiers at War. X-com tactical combat in WW2. Not well regarded but I spent countless hours on it.
Panzer Commander. A WW2 tank simulator.
Silent Hunter V.
CoD MW series. Yeah they are popamoles and a travesty of the FPS, but they are still fun as an occasional shooting gallery if you don't take them seriously.
Command and Conquer 3. Don't understand the hate as it plays pretty much the same as the other games, looks good to boot, lengthy, varied...strange.
Witchaven series.

Shitloads more that I can't remember now....watch this space...

Heechee

Liturgist
Anyone remembers Alpha Storm, the weird combination of FPS and space ship simulator?

50338-alpha-storm-dos-screenshot-a-view-of-the-navigation-bridge.gif

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/alpha-storm

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Chaos Legion on the PS2. No idea why everyone hated the shit out of this game. Fun as hell. I'd put it up there with god hand among my favourite action games. Played through the whole thing seven probably four or five times.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I had an addicted spree on Lineage II some years ago. Played a Warcryer up to the level-cap and then the server reset. Thanks fuck for that.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Stronghold (1993)
Clive Barker's Undying
Sanitarium

what's there to be embarrassed about here

well, Undying is competant but not really at classic level, but the other two are fine to awesomesauce depending on your preference

Lineage II

a long while back I tried this on a custom SA-run server with something like 8X exp gain

it still felt really grindy, like progress quest with tits

still I managed to surpass that in my cancelled attempt at upping my HoM rank thingies in guild wars
turns out you can view steadily tweaking and getting more efficient at running/clearing zones as another form of progression and challenge in itself

shameful moments in gaming

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Last Remnant. Shitty JRPG w/ fun combat system.

If JRPGs count as RPGs in the topic, then it's going to be Empire Earth 2. Loved that game.

:oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom