Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you regret playing

curry

Arcane
Have you ever played a game for a while, whether 5, 10 hours or even finishing it, only to realize it is utter shit and regretting you wasted even one second playing?

Witcher 2 :decline:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
True. witcher 2 was the first great dissapointment I got tricked into paying for by the Codex. Damn filthy potatojews and their sweet lies.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh god, how could I forget? Metroid: Other M. I am convinced that every minute of that game was designed to bring something uniquely stupid and unfaithful to the table. Terrible monster design, terrible fighting system, generic ambient music that sounded nothing like Metroid, Where's Waldo, a story that somehow managed to conflict with what little story Metroid has, terrible VO, terrible characters, a subplot that was never resolved and nobody (the designers included) cared about, and last, but not least, it completely destroyed Metroid's foundation in loneliness and exploration.

Erebus

Arcane
Icewind Dale. I kept expecting it to get better, but it never did.

Monolith

Prophet
I don't get how you can regret playing something. I have a hard time finishing games I like, if there's a game I don't like I stop playing - if it's still good enough to make me come back I don't see how I can regret that. Unless it's a timesink like Civ or Paradox games - I always feel bad after playing those, even though I enjoy them, so that is the closest I get to regret.

When it comes to regretting purchases, now that is easier. The above mentioned Icewind Dale comes to mind. And Divine Divinity 2 is also a game I regret buying - it turned into shit after about 20 hours and I've never got back to it once I stopped playing. I don't regret playing it for those 20 hours because it was entertaining - but paying full price was definitely too much.

Looking at it from a different angle, I have to admit that I regretted getting Simon 2 - I've never played the first and during the dark age of no internet I bought it on a whim (or got my father to buy it, my birthday and all) thinking it's similar to Indiana Jones and Monkey Island. And FUCK, it reminded me of carneval and circus and clowns instead, and I despised clowns as a child and everything that reminded me of them. Luckily that changed, now I only feel the need to rip out their throat and use their teeth as a xylophone together with a sledgehammer I always carry around for that purpose, so no, I still haven't played it. Ah, and there's Sanitarium. The moment the character turned into a girl and ended up at a horror circus show I regretted I've ever bought that. Fortunately my father played the game as well and I could use his savegame once he was done with that part.

Malpercio

Arcane
D

jl03ft.jpg

But no one will know my pain.

Clock Tower II

Fucking Drakengard. Really one of the worst thing that happened to humanity.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Multiply the pain of all those of us in this thread who played the OC a thousandfold, and you'll feel only a microcosm of the tragedy that was this game.
Neh. The campaign was an abomination and everyone involved should be stoned, but as an engine for player made modules and most especially multiplayer RPGing it was excellent. Even with probably the worst campaign Bioware's ever made, I got way more enjoyment out of NWN1 than any of their other games except (Maybe) Baldur's Gate 2.

I think everyone who hated the OC agrees with you, but remember it was a fair wait until any mods better than mediocre were released.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Clive Barkers Jericho.

I watched an LP of it up to the part where you get to body hop around

enemy design is fantastic, if a little clive barkery

abilities are good enough on paper

story, level and encounter and overall gameplay design is like playing a korean fps mmo

kazgar

Arcane
Clive Barkers Jericho.

I watched an LP of it up to the part where you get to body hop around

enemy design is fantastic, if a little clive barkery

abilities are good enough on paper

story, level and encounter and overall gameplay design is like playing a korean fps mmo

problem with the enemy design is that you're pretty much stuck with those two main enemies for the entire bloody game, it gets mind numbing.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
problem with the enemy design is that you're pretty much stuck with those two main enemies for the entire bloody game, it gets mind numbing.

hahahaha what I thought they would have a dozen enemies at least

what a piece of crap

also they made this guy has a demon in his arm' work a lot more boring than it should

kazgar

Arcane

hahahaha what I thought they would have a dozen enemies at least

what a piece of crap

also they made this guy has a demon in his arm' work a lot more boring than it should

there was a few zone specific ones, but still got waves of lame zombie and exploding zombies in the same points. Just not enough variety throughout the game.

Demon arm dude was pretty bro character wise, the story is what dragged me through the corridors and obvious "wave of enemy" checkpoints and bad gunplay and requiring far too many bullet enemies.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
I don't get how you can regret playing something. I have a hard time finishing games I like, if there's a game I don't like I stop playing - if it's still good enough to make me come back I don't see how I can regret that. Unless it's a timesink like Civ or Paradox games - I always feel bad after playing those, even though I enjoy them, so that is the closest I get to regret.

It's that moment of realisation, when you've realised you completely deluded yourself into thinking something is good (possibly to justify RRP), you then see you're wasting your life and the time you spent on said turd is time you'll never get back... add Morrowind to my list, I'd repressed that one.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I don't regret having watched an entire video LP of Deadly Premonition, but it doesn't look like the kind of game I would've enjoyed playing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Truth to be told, I didn't actually play it either. I watched the same LP. But man, that was honestly a good way to waste a lot of hours.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
English does not have grammar gender, silly silly. That's a French thing.

Kitako

Arcane
Unfortunately I'm obsessive about doing stuff in games. I have to explore all the maps, clear all the quests, fill all the bars. I don't care for achievments, but if you shovel filler content at me, my sick self will eat through it all. It's probably the heritage of years of WOW.

So, my biggest regret so far:
KlD72.jpg

Grim Monk

Arcane
Bad games are nothing.

You just found a great game.
Your enjoying it.
Then some outside :( factor ruins it.

You can never experience a game for the "first time" twice.

Not unless you get amnesia...

That's when you really regret playing a video game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom