Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for shooter game with money

Gregz

Arcane
What about Mechwarrior 4? It probably isn't what you're looking for, but it's free now. Here.

This is a good suggestion, I re-play it annually, good combat mechanics and upgrades.

CorpseZeb

Learned
A.I.M and A.I.M 2 by 1C. Quite corny and somewhat unusual titles, but what games made by 1C aren't that...

Monolith

Prophet
How about "The Saboteur"?. Cannot say anything, but i heard it's good, so it's on my list.
It was fun for a while, but too "gamey" and way too easy. It's also more similar to Assassin's Creed, with guns, vehicles and Nazis. They could have done much more with the whole premise. Still, it was enjoyable until it got repetetive. And I liked to see the Eiffel Tower in the back, in a zone that was supposed to be off limit until the later parts of the game, and how I was able to sneak in and climb to the top.

I didn't see Boiling Point mentioned so far. Awfully buggy, but patches and fan effort are supposed to make it playable nowadays. I couldn't get into it due to other reasons like awful story/presentation/VO though.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy.
It have money that you can spend on augmentations, powers, weapons and researches. I had a great time with this game (finished it 4 times). I must warn you though: It's VERY un-user-friendly (nice change from nowadays games).
Also as other have mentioned: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Kitako

Arcane
Duke Nukem 3D

wuRpd.jpg

Tel Velothi

Cipher
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy.

"Psychological and mental trauma management" is listed as a game feature on the steam page

What's that about?
I have no idea what they mean by that. I'm just guessing that they mean "mental balance". It's a bar (just like health and energy bar) - when it drops to zero (you're losing your mental balance by taking much damage in short period of time), you're going insane - there are couple of insanities, eg. Hearing voices, illusions, etc. But still, I don't get what they mean by "Psychological and mental trauma management".

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
How about "The Saboteur"?. Cannot say anything, but i heard it's good, so it's on my list.
I didn't see Boiling Point mentioned so far. Awfully buggy, but patches and fan effort are supposed to make it playable nowadays. I couldn't get into it due to other reasons like awful story/presentation/VO though.
Boiling Point is known as Xenus 1 and 2.

toroid

Arcane
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy.

"Psychological and mental trauma management" is listed as a game feature on the steam page

What's that about?
I have no idea what they mean by that. I'm just guessing that they mean "mental balance". It's a bar (just like health and energy bar) - when it drops to zero (you're losing your mental balance by taking much damage in short period of time), you're going insane - there are couple of insanities, eg. Hearing voices, illusions, etc. But still, I don't get what they mean by "Psychological and mental trauma management".

I would describe the effect of a low mental balance as post-traumatic stress disorder instead of insanity.

Management of psychological and mental trauma is somewhat straightforward:
1. Don't allow yourself to be overrun and injured repeatedly (or killed).
2. When experiencing PTSD, perform a "maintenance" action on yourself.
3. ????
4. I haven't figured out how to regain mental balance efficiently yet.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
I haven't figured out how to regain mental balance efficiently yet.

All you have to do is press "V" for maintenance (as you said earlier, but I don't know what you mean by "regain mental balance efficiently") - it takes 4-5 sec IIRC.
Also there is a research called Cosmogonical Metapsychology which gives you immunity to madness.

Here's a complete list of all "madnesses" via wiki:

- Paranoia: Player shoots uncontrollably.
- Inhibition: Player can't shoot firearms, can only use melee weapons.
- Paralyzing Terror: Player is unable to move.
- Visual Hallucinations: Player sees constant explosions that are not actually happening and visions of dead characters.
- Auditory Hallucinations: Player hears voices and sounds that don't exist.

I think they "overdescribed" this whole "management" - I wouldn't call it that - it's not that complicated since all you have to do is to press a button and all will be well in a few seconds.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
+1 for EYE Divine Cybermancy. It's like Deus Ex with less dialogues and roleplaying and more shooting (although you are also able to hack, stealth use psych powers etc). Shooting is a lot more fun in this game though. It has very sci-fi feel, pretty much the same as the first Deus Ex imo. You can play it SP or coop (I played coop with babitz and princess on CDS, it was really great). You have money, inventory, skills etc.

2FD660C9659E1653B8BE02376A1CE0380A8CE060

242133E0554546F3E5BA40767F84A0EE7082664F

CC2883E7650BB66CE66CCE7A91697DB21A8F68F9

925F9F509FE39280988F8D241230681B8908DC83

A40283436BF7A0E500FB0965B512CCF76D026923

toroid

Arcane
I haven't figured out how to regain mental balance efficiently yet.

All you have to do is press "V" for maintenance (as you said earlier, but I don't know what you mean by "regain mental balance efficiently") - it takes 4-5 sec IIRC.
Also there is a research called Cosmogonical Metapsychology which gives you immunity to madness.

Here's a complete list of all "madnesses" via wiki:

- Paranoia: Player shoots uncontrollably.
- Inhibition: Player can't shoot firearms, can only use melee weapons.
- Paralyzing Terror: Player is unable to move.
- Visual Hallucinations: Player sees constant explosions that are not actually happening and visions of dead characters.
- Auditory Hallucinations: Player hears voices and sounds that don't exist.

I think they "overdescribed" this whole "management" - I wouldn't call it that - it's not that complicated since all you have to do is to press a button and all will be well in a few seconds.

I'm referring to the bottom "mental balance" bar in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Once it's empty it doesn't seem to refill right away. Doing maintenance is a temporary fix as it only temporarily addresses the symptoms of having a low mental balance. The symptoms recur every few minutes and can be a serious pain in the ass during combat, especially when paranoia causes you to shoot up a whole magazine of ammo and you have to reload at a critical moment, or when paralyzing terror freezes you up while you're out of cover and under fire. The symptoms can easily lead to being heavily injured again, prolonging the depletion of mental balance. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I haven't been playing very long so I'm sure there are some obvious things I have not figured out yet. But that's the way this game is, isn't it? It never holds your hand and is convoluted as fuck while also being unclear about how a lot of the gameplay details work and most everything is generally obfuscated by a light haze of poor translations. Also, it is obviously not finished. Though they are supposedly about to release a major patch and have free dlc in the works along with more planned updates. I do recommend it, though. It has heavy rpg elements and is complex enough in most aspects so as to be interesting to explore and play. It would be interesting to see how many different viable character builds there are.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Wow, I didn't have such big problems with mental balance (and mind you it was not high, about 38 I think). I'm pretty sure maintenance fill the mental balance to full and symptoms are gone. Ofc it will start to drain again if you will receive heavy damage in short period of time.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I got Prototype and I don't think it has money or trading, thought it was odd considering the setting but then RE4 has trading. It has evolution points which is more like experience points and it is more brawler than shooter. The engine seems pretty good.

Gregz

Arcane
+1 for EYE Divine Cybermancy.

This one looked really good, but I couldn't play it more than 10 minutes without becoming nauseated/headache from motion sickness. Headbob has to be the most damaging and idiotic FPS mechanic in the history of the genre (and they even added motion blur making it worse). And, of course, the idiot GUI coder made it so there's no way to disable it, not even via console.

:x

I'm genuinely pissed because it looks like a great game.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
+1 for EYE Divine Cybermancy.

This one looked really good, but I couldn't play it more than 10 minutes without becoming nauseated/headache from motion sickness. Headbob has to be the most damaging and idiotic FPS mechanic in the history of the genre (and they even added motion blur making it worse). And, of course, the idiot GUI coder made it so there's no way to disable it, not even via console.

:x

I'm genuinely pissed because it looks like a great game.

AFAIR headbob can be disabled in options (I think only patched version had option to disable it, so you must update the game first). Hopefully it will help you, because it really is a great game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This has been said before but you must never, ever play Borderlands without friends and/or alcohol. Even then it can get stale by the third or so DLC.

Gregz

Arcane
AFAIR headbob can be disabled in options (I think only patched version had option to disable it, so you must update the game first). Hopefully it will help you, because it really is a great game.

I checked the patch notes...nothing about headbob. :(

Is there any chance you could fire it up real quick and verify that the option is available? I don't have the means of checking.

This has been said before but you must never, ever play Borderlands without friends and/or alcohol. Even then it can get stale by the third or so DLC.

Said many times before, and wrong every time. I soloed through Borderlands and all three DLCs with great mirth while playing the Siren. Awesome game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How'd you do it!? I'd think the scenery and enemies and even just the basic item-hunt premise would bore you.
Note: I don't think less of you for liking it, but for most people I know the game isn't much fun alone.

Gregz

Arcane
How'd you do it!? I'd think the scenery and enemies and even just the basic item-hunt premise would bore you.
Note: I don't think less of you for liking it, but for most people I know the game isn't much fun alone.

Well,
  • I love adventure shooters (Far Cry)
  • I'm a total loot-upgrade junkie (Diablo II)
  • and I enjoy referential humor (Army of Darkness, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, etc.)
It was all there for me.

Initially I had beef with the UI (headbob! :mad:, FOV, etc.) but I found a few tweaks that made it playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom