Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Studio & Moebius Closed Down

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Any word about when they will announce what the "Mystery X" game is all about? Some people are speculating it will be a GK1 remake.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Well, if the series is to be remade it doesn't really make sense to start with the more recent game, right? There is an interview where she says that she would like to remake all the 3 games into a unified 2d style though.

That would be great, but I would rather she leave the games as it is and moves on with the series. GK4 is much belated. Maybe give the remakes to another studio and supervise it, I don't know.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
She has been in talks with Activision. At least so she claims. She also says the prospects of working something out are good.

(could be just selling her bread and getting kickstarter support via optimism, though)

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Any word about when they will announce what the "Mystery X" game is all about? Some people are speculating it will be a GK1 remake.
I can't see any need to remake GK1, but maybe I'm just wearing nostalgia glasses.

I suppose it's possible that that could be it, but I sort of hope it isn't.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
They might as well go for a sequel instead of a remake. They can just drop the "4" if you're worried about scaring away new customers. The stories were all pretty self contained so it's not hard to pick up if you're a first timer.

Stabwound

Arcane
I can't see any need to remake GK1, but maybe I'm just wearing nostalgia glasses.

I suppose it's possible that that could be it, but I sort of hope it isn't.
There is no need, just like how there was no need for Monkey Island 1/2 remakes. Those remakes turned the game from a classic to a soulless piece of shit, much like any potential GK1 remake would be. The classic Sierra and Lucas Arts adventures have a great style that should never be touched. Redoing the visual style just ruins them.

Remake GK3 and I'll be happy.

Executer

Phrenologist
Well, if the series is to be remade it doesn't really make sense to start with the more recent game, right? There is an interview where she says that she would like to remake all the 3 games into a unified 2d style though.

That would be great, but I would rather she leave the games as it is and moves on with the series. GK4 is much belated. Maybe give the remakes to another studio and supervise it, I don't know.

I think the remakes wouldn't be a bad idea, had some issues with GK1, like one of the puzzles in the police station being totally screwed due the speed of my processor at the time. I just don't know if I'd trust anyone besides Jane to handle it, the licence is in EA hands, so potentially it could go to anybody.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If a remake was COMPLETELY done with no Publisher involved, it might actually be.... interesting.

But that is not going to happen. I think Publishers are now holding on to those old games they have a licence to knowing some amount of money is involved.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I think the remakes wouldn't be a bad idea, had some issues with GK1, like one of the puzzles in the police station being totally screwed due the speed of my processor at the time.

Use DOSBOX --> reduce cycles when it's time for the puzzle --> win

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's funny you should mention that; I had to use Moslo to finish that puzzle when I played GK 1 for the first time. The donut-man would race at incredibly speed.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
She would add more content to the remakes. She mentioned there was an entire chapter of GK2 that was removed for the game due to budget constraints. That is a good thing I guess.

Sequels first though. GK had a pretty awesome universe/characters and if she gets the license back dozens of gret stories can be milked out of it.

Monolith

Prophet
I think the remakes wouldn't be a bad idea, had some issues with GK1, like one of the puzzles in the police station being totally screwed due the speed of my processor at the time.

There is also an XP patch floating around that deals with that bug.

But I agree that GK 3 is the one that needs a remake the most - 3D graphics don't age well and GK 3 wasn't pretty when it came out. And an overhaul, it's far too goofy...

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
To be honest, I would actually wish GK3 was forgotten and abandoned as far as the series is concerned. Not only was it much inferior to the first 2 games, but canon stablished in those first two games made sense, whereas I think even a writer of Jane's talent will have a hard time picking up with the bullshit of the 3rd game. Loser turned into last heir of a long line of supernatural investigators was a very cool premise, but then:

a) We discover that the schattenjägers are on a special mission given by Christ himself.

b) Christ has heirs living in the modern world.

That broke it all. a) doesn't make sense anyway, because for all we know the schattenjäger are pretty uninportant and dealt only with small-time cases of supernatural mischief.b) makes Christians butthurt and can only lead to senseless and overbearing plotlines about armaggedon/judgement day/etc.

Also, Grace ran off to Tibet after being pumped by Gabe. Unless she is brought back things won't be the same. Only thing I liked was turning mosely into a CIA agent. Means he will keep showing up in the future.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I always thought that Jensen was just building the plot for the fourth game to take place in the far-east.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Nope, it was planned to be about ghosts and be set in Scotland. Since Prince James and his family inhabit Scotland, it would probably involve the bloodline bullshit again.

If you ever do a playthrough of GK3, search "Gabriel Knight 4" on sidney and you will see an article about it.

Granted, the DaVinci code wasn't out yet back then and by now this premise is so horribly clichéd and unoriginal that I doubt she will use it again. At least not as a main motif.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just a reminder: for those of you who have backed >$50, today is the last day to get the eBooks of The Beast Within and Sins of the Father. If you haven't acquired them yet, download them now.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
New Kickstarter update:

Hi, CSG members!

View/save the STUDIO UPDATE PDF here

This is our weekend to update. I've prepared a pdf of Moebius progress and news (link above). But we've decided to hold off on the monthly video -- hoping that we will be able to announce Mystery Game X in the next few weeks and that will be a major video update.

I know a lot of your are wondering why Mystery Game X has not yet been announced. All I can say is that, since we are working with a publisher on this title, it is out of our control. The publisher has their own priorities and processes. It's interesting to compare this to Moebius, which is a kickstarter funded project. As such, we (Pinkerton Road) are the publisher, and we can release anything we like when we like. Yes, it is rather splendid like that!

I can tell you that Mystery Game X is going along well and looks beautiful. We've completed the voice-over sessions and got some great stuff. We are still on track to release for Christmas. When the announcement comes, and in the name of all that is holy it must, it will not be a small deal.

In other news, Lola & Lucy's Big Adventure was submitted to the Apple app store on October 3rd! It had a big performance overhaul and now it works beautifully even on ipad 1. It will be live on the app store after running through the Apple gauntlet, probably between Oct 18-25. We will send out a special mailing to our CSG members the day it launches. The CSG members at $50 and up will get a free download of the PC or MAC versions, due in December.

Visit www.lola-lucy.com for screenshots and more.

Check out our pdf (link at top) for an announcement and sneak peek on a Moebius comic.

Jane​

Looking forward to this a lot :3

visions

Arcane

It was doable on my 2008 rig without even reducing the cycles. At first I failed a couple of times and being unsure on how to proceed, I had to research the issue but once I found out that I was doing the right thing, only it was much harder than it was supposed to be, I tried a couple more times and succeeded, without the need to reduce cycles.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
My guess is either Grey Matter 2 OR a new GK. I kind of doubt GK, as I don't think Activision would see much profit in a new "old school" like GK.

Wolfus

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom