Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Act II of Hell is probably where the game actually begins to become difficult. Assuming you don't use the AH of course.
Kinda. The enemies basically just become so strong that fighting becomes tedious. Don't have the perfect skill setup, items and a super-stable connection? Enjoy dying a lot. Skill selection becomes important but to be honest it never transcends the DPS game. Yes, if you have a bad setup you will die. But I mean really, so long as you have one or two defensive skills, a stun/disable of some kind, and a big powerful skill to spam, you'll do fine. You'll still die of course, but that'll be mostly due to lag and unavoidable cheap one-shots, stunlocks etc. that are pretty much unavoidable anyway.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Cheesy? Trite and cliche - sure. Juvenile - in the sense - aimed at male teenage audience? Certainly. But cheesy - exhibiting bad design and poor quality (with or without the purpose - like Quentin Tarantion movies making a valid, interesting statement through dissonances in the story)? Where? Conversations were fine, character presentation was ok, backstory was sufficient, the themes were consistent, and the simple plot supported all the events in believeable fashion. I call it good quality and excelent design for a story in a hack'n' slash rogue-like game.

D3 lacks all of the abovesaid elements and strikes as very cheesy. I mean, if you facepalm each time the characters opens his mouth, there certainly must be something bad about it.
Again, I thnk that conversations were just as bad in diablo 1.

I beg to disagree. They were simple but made sense and added a sense of weight to your quest. Now they are far worse. To put it bluntly - they are stupid. Everyon's a moron now.

If anything conversations should get better, not mind-boggingly worse.

As for backstory, I guess they were sufficient, because there barely was any?

Actually there was quite a lot of backstory. Didn't read the manual?

They were mostly mercharnts conveniently standing atop the dungeon of hell(tm) making phat l00t by selling stuff to you.

Legacy of roguelikes. Still, what they said added info and fleshed out this minimalistic world you were in, enhancing the atmosphere.

I think 99% of the problem with diablo 3, lies in its need for exposition. Were diablo 1 equally exposition-heavy, I think its flaws would be just as apparrent.

Perhaps, which doesn't change the fact that because there was little exposition, there were no flaws. The game got the balance exactly right. Simple story, told using simple devices to accomplish simple effect -sublime depiction of horror-gothic theme.

As for consistent themes, might I remind you of a certain silly demon standing close to one of the stairs down wanting tristram's tavern's banner? Sure, it was a little bit funny, but remarkably inconsistent with the dark and serious horror-like theme set by the game.

Point scored. Indeed there was a quest like that. But even then, the quest-giver was a goddamn goblin acting in-character. It didn't strike as something stupid or contrived - merely funny, characteristic to the fantasy-roguelike genre. In Diablo 1 and 2, none of the main characters act or say something completely retarded, as opposed to entire cast of D3 - including demons - which destroys whatever themes or stories it wanted to tell.

To be clear - I am not holding D1 as a model of how to write a story. But on its minimalistic level it worked very well. It wasn't stupid. You didn't feel you were losing IQ listening to a conversation. It would have worked as well in D3 even on a larger scak, had they had someone who can actually write dialogues, characters and stuck to the general tone of the predecessors, instead of Power Rangers. I bet this show was the main inspiration for the devs.

Now if you want MAJOR decline in story telling over the years, look at the games Chris Avellone has been involved in :smug:

Why?
Well, just to name one example. The story and the parter banter in NWN2: OC. And looking at his games it is by no means a laundry list of outstanding games story-wise after PS:T (or before that, for that matter).

Well, there's Icewind Dale 2, NWN2:MotB and Soz, Kotor 2, Alpha Protocol. Gameplay was uneven in those buy they are all good storyfaggy games. Sure there are worse than PS:T but it sometimes happens that you manage to create standard you will strive to repeat your whole life.

DraQ

Arcane
I'm jumping in as another Diablo 1 apologist but that games story is hardly derp. It's as bare bones as possible without being the plot form Mario brothers. Big bag, bottom of a dungeon, kidnapped prince and that's it. You learn about another party who went down before you and of some betrayal but the entirety of that is expressed in two, maybe three characters, and encompasses a side quest.
Plus ancient tomes of forbidden knowledge sketching out the backstory relevant to this bare bones story with minimum amount of strokes necessary.

Diablo 2 would have been fine, at least story wise, I'll always hate that games mechanics, if it had just stuck to the basics of some new hero following the lone wanderer around. How simple and effective but no... there had to be an angel and with him came the derp. Now there was a plot and it was some bullshit about humanity and something or other else that I didn't care about... and not just plot, cinematics, boring ass cinematics at every turn. I'll swear that they threw in all that plot fluff just to show off their cinematic department.
Actually D2 cinematics were pretty neat, perspective of drunkard driven out of his mind was interesting and I really enjoyed D2's take on angels - pure beings of good and light but alien, impersonal and inhuman, giving "good VS evil" theme of the games some skew towards order versus chaos.

The thing D2 also did horribly right was fate of D1 protagonist(s).

D2 cinematics (apart from the ones in LoD) didn't screw anything more than D1 tomes of lore, D2's problem was that in describing and showing the world it moved it away from :insert medieval europe here: which meant that implicit lore suddenly stopped supporting the minimalistic sketchwork and that stuff like judeochristian mythology the game borrowed heavily from stopped being relevant to the game's setting - there went the atmosphere. There should never have been jungles or ents or catgirls in Diablo. There should never have been any amazons or barbarians.

And only *then* there was the mechanics, specifically lack of persistency, rezzing in town and all the related MMO crap.

Black

Arcane
Ok. I've played a little bit on Nightmare... and I have to say: Lads, when does this game actually start to get any better? Because I am sure as hell my second run in new Tristram is more boring than previous. I've defeated the skeleton king once again- which was basically circling himm arround and throwing meteors on him and his mooks/ It took me areound 30 mins, as the healthbar of this faggot ws insenely long.

Is it wrong for me to ask for difficult bosses which require some tactical thought and not shitlong health bars? By the end of thi sfight I feared more that they'd kill me due to me spacing out. Then I would have to go again through this Nightmere (guess I know what the difficulty level's name came from).
Why do you keep playing a game that you hate in hopes that it gets better? Just drop it, it's what I should've done with me2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
* as for the whole NWN2, every chance to write a good story stuff. How do you figure that he had "every chance"? You've got a license, a license holder and a publisher who want certain things... you write it how they want. Writing is rarely an exercise in creative freedom.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/s81zu/rpg_fireside_chat_with_brian_fargo_and_chris/c4buz8e
Chris Avellone said:
The goal was more of a high-fantasy experience. Atari didn't influence the plot, it was a studio creation.
:M

Multi-headed Cow

I'm a hero!
KId1u.jpg

aris

Arcane
Are you serious? Then you might not want to go outside either, because you might get hit by a meteor in the head ;)
I beg to disagree. They were simple but made sense and added a sense of weight to your quest. Now they are far worse. To put it bluntly - they are stupid. Everyon's a moron now.

If anything conversations should get better, not mind-boggingly worse.
I don't think we are going to agree on this, so let's let it lie.

While I agree that the story of diablo 3 as a whole is really bad (if that wasn't clear already), it is not all bad. There are some audio-diaries which I found interesting. Especially the ones of King Leoric, voiced in a manner convincing and trope-fitting of a pompous king. It provides additional insight into diablo 1, and I thought it was a compelling account of how he was gradually corrrupted by Lazarus, aware of it, but unable to do anything, until he ended up as a stalin-esque paranoide, executing everyone he didn't trust.

Stabwound

Arcane
I agree, Diablo 3's story overall is shit. I hate the constant cutscenes, too. I wish there was a "forget about the story" setting where you could play through your 2nd+ game without even hearing the dialogue. By the way, you don't have to click through it; hitting escape will finish the dialogue instantly.

What's lame is that they treat the demon lords the way they do when they have so much potential. I saw somewhere someone had written an alternative storyline, with parts like Belial (lord of Lies) tricking you into slaughtering innocent townspeople and stuff like that, which would have been much better than what they did in the game. Instead all of the bosses are turned into comical cartoon villians when they should be scary; they're demon lords, for fuck's sake.

And one of the most annoying things to me that I haven't seen anyone else mention is the heavy-handed return of The Butcher, who's probably the most iconic character from the games besides Cain. His terrifying encounter in Diablo 1 is turned into a shit fest in Diablo 3. They shouldn't have touched the character at all if they were going to do that with him.

aris

Arcane
And one of the most annoying things to me that I haven't seen anyone else mention is the heavy-handed return of The Butcher, who's probably the most iconic character from the games besides Cain. His terrifying encounter in Diablo 1 is turned into a shit fest in Diablo 3. They shouldn't have touched the character at all if they were going to do that with him.
This. Of all cringeworthy moments, this was probably the most cringeworthy of all. And also they supersized him. Why? WHY? Equally stupid was the pontless encounter with the resurrected (and also super-sized) izual. Another iconic character.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hopefully, they'll eventually make up in quantity what they lack in quality. I suspect there will be at least five expansions. I also suspect they'll each have about half the content as LoD. Still, I think the derpy ending could redeem itself as a middle part of a much longer story. Could you imagine 8+ acts! That would be pretty cool IMO. I'm guessing we'll get a lv cap increase, new act, character class, companion, craftsman, a new system like talismans, new pvp modes and social features, and a whole bunch of gems and affixes each expansion. 7 or 8 years from now Diablo 3 could be one monster of a game. Well, I got nothing better to do except maybe a few kickstarter games anyway. Can't wait for Difficulty level 5: Oblivion.

aris

Arcane
Being a blizzard game, there must be an expansion pack, since pretty much every blizzard game ever made had at least one. But 5? I very much doubt that. My best guess is 1, tops 2. I do expect that they during a 10 years perspective will shake up and change the gameplay quite a bit, as they did with diablo 2, hopefully for the better.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This. Of all cringeworthy moments, this was probably the most cringeworthy of all. And also they supersized him. Why? WHY? Equally stupid was the pontless encounter with the resurrected (and also super-sized) izual. Another iconic character.

because, think big.

WoW3-3Boss.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, bringing back Butcher and Izual was pretty dumb. Especially since the Butcher wasn't as pants-crappingly ridiculously hard as in D1 (Seriously, you basically NEVER want to fight the Butcher in D1 at the character level you meet him. You're far better off going down a few dungeon levels and then coming back to him, or abusing doors and gates and arrowing him to death, or using an absolutely ridiculous amount of healing potions) and wasn't as cool in general. The fat demon with the bloodstained white apron in a room packed with more gore than all of Diablo 3 combined turned in to
butcher_barb_rd2_023_22076.nphd.jpg

that in a lava room. What the hell.
And Izual I didn't think was iconic enough to be worth bringing back. I knew he was the blue demon in D2, but I didn't really give a shit to see him again in D3.

Still, this is all shit I don't really care about. The way the loot is handled in D3 is still my biggest issue with the game itself. I made it entirely through normal difficulty without getting a single unique or set item, and I know a friend who has multiple characters in nightmare (And I think is starting hell) and hasn't had a single unique or set item. And even if he did, they're typically not worth it. Such a bummer.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Set items are for the very high levels, aren't they? Legendaries should have a slight chance to drop around lvl 30 — let's call them legendary for a reason, shall we?

Anywya, I was a bit disapointed with the Butcher too, but hey, gimme a demon to kill and I'll kill him. I don't really get the fuss about the story. Sure, it's dumb and unremarkable, but it's serviceable. Writing is decent enough that the dialogs do not come as stiff as in, say, Mass Effect. Sure, there's plenty of silliness but it doesn't prevent you from accessing the combat. Most of the small talk between characters is actually decent, and it's when it goes into the "big heroic things" that it starts to become really cring-worthy.

Multi-headed Cow

Set items are for the very high levels, aren't they? Legendaries should have a slight chance to drop around lvl 30 — let's call them legendary for a reason, shall we?
Hey, no! NO! BAD GRAGT.
Uniques are important for a few reasons. One, if they have fixed stats, they provide a specific prize to look forward to and hope for. Each time a unique ring dropped in D2 you'd hope it was a precious precious SOJ. D3 uniques are partially fixed and partially random, which would work alright if rares didn't end up with significantly better stats most of the time. They're also hampered by the fact that Diablo 3 items have fewer interesting stats coming in to play as compared to D2 items, especially uniques which sometimes had, yes, unique properties.
Uniques are also important for loot whoring if they have unique cosmetic changes. Since the main drive for a fair number (If not most) fans of Diablo is loot collecting, having unique inventory icons and having a unique look on your in-game paper doll (Either different model in D3, or a specific weird color in D2) makes them attractive to collect.
Just because they're called legendaries and are some of the rarest items doesn't mean they shouldn't be sprinkled at lower levels and difficulties. Grinding up to the "Real game" is kind of a bummer enough as it is, removing low level spice just sucks.

To give a comparison between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3's item game, here's the list of unique swords in Diablo 3.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/sword-1h/#type=legendary
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/sword-2h/#type=legendary
18 items. And you can see they're mainly just generic stat and damage bonuses for magic boosts.

Now here's the list of unique swords in Diablo 2.
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/uswords.shtml
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/exceptional/uswords.shtml
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/uswords.shtml
35 items, and you can see more variety in the stats with skill boosts, charges of spells, different procs, etc. They're also more evenly distributed among levels, and you're much more likely to find uniques and set items while playing D2 than in D3.

Diablo 2 does have the added benefit of an expansion and patches adding more items, but considering how long Diablo 3 was in development it's a disappointment its predecessor was so far ahead in the loot game.

I'M VERY UPSET ABOUT DIABLO ITEMS YOU GUYS.

That's highly unsatisfactory! Diablo 3 Diablo has shoulder mouths for even more pleasure, and unhinged demonic tittyboobs!
0/10 would not bang. :rpgcodex:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Josh Sawyer : d3 expansion request: jester class that is powered by a foolishness meter charged by being called a fool

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

hahahahahahahaha
I bet unique attributes like those were taken out because nobody used them anyway or they're technically unfeasible in a complex game like D3, right? what's the excuse now? Too confusing? Color coding the weird ones that aren't stat or damage increases too difficult? Too much text to read? They didn't fit in with your technical vision?

For shame Blizzard, I thought items were your emotional engagement for this game? Why are you turning them into generic playboy tryout rejects?

to put it even more to shame, check out this stunning list from medianxl
http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/uniques_sacred.html

it's a shame that mods won't be there to fix D3, enjoy your AAA meant to be most addictive game that has already started going stale

surely this and starcraft 2 are just slight dips in what is to be a eternally bright blizzard future release career

hell yeah polished games like mcdonalds polishes their menu

what can we do to increase the sales from D2 and make D3 more accessible, gotta grow that audience, grow it good

That's highly unsatisfactory! Diablo 3 Diablo has shoulder mouths for even more pleasure, and unhinged demonic tittyboobs!
0/10 would not bang.

perhaps this one is in the middle of transitioning, and hence emotionally vulnerable and in need of your support and not dark ages era caveman inquisition

Multi-headed Cow

perhaps this one is in the middle of transitioning, and hence emotionally vulnerable and in need of your support and not dark ages era caveman inquisition
Woah, WOAH. I AIN'T GOING NEAR NO GODDAMN UNDERAGE DEMONS BRO.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
(d2) i dunno, uniques like soj were good but rare (yellow) rings with nice stats like fcr, fhr, skills, strength, mana, res etc become much more valuable if you rolled ones with nice combinations. really nice amulets and rings sold for massive amounts of fag gold on d2jsp, as well as money on loot sites like d2legit. also true, to a lesser extent, for boots, helms and weapons

attackfighter

Magister

I don't understand why people put effort into shit like this when the designers of the game obviously didn't put in any effort themselves. There's nothing at all creative or inspiring about femDiablo's design, the only reason at all to want to cosplay it is because hurr it's a shallow videogame reference durr.

Monolith

Prophet
To ppl who have played it - what about the world design? Do you have the impression that Leonard Boyarsky left his footprint on it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom