Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Azrael's Tear - Redux

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
bump.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
r_023.png

r_033.png
Wait, who's the guy on the picture supposed to be? The three-tiered crown suggest a pope, the Grail in the triangle resembles the Illuminati eye, general appearance suggests a patriarch (of Byzantium?), and the top decoration of the crown on the brooch combines with the side decorations of the three tiers a bit suggestively (7 prominent extrusions or suggested horns or the seven-headed beast?). I'm probably seeing things and non-existent patterns, that's why I'm curious about any more solid explanations... Summoning local symbolism experts :)

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Now that you mentioned it, I am curious about it as well. I think that is supposed to be Tobias, who after the demise of Jacques de Molay became the grand master Templar and is the main sponsor of all the creepy new world order plans devised after his "vision". It is very similar some of the images of Jacques de Molay spread throughout the game, could be him as well. Hugh de Payens is presented as a long bearded patriarch too.

de Molay was the last Templar leader and is considered a "patriach" and "founder" of sorts for freemasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_De_Molay#Freemasonry

Symbolism experts should know. I'm posting the 3rd and last update I had ready now.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei

Time to head down and find out what happened to Colin.

r_000.png

r_001.png

The raptor does some walking here. There is a long and tortuous tunnel that ends in another spiral staircase, which in turn leads to another tunnel... eventually the raptor finally reaches a room of interest.

r_002.png

Uh oh, Colin is dead. This appears to be a ceremonial room and MS2 detects a saurian around. The raptor proceeds with caution.

r_003.png

There it is. It is a velociraptor and it is sleeping. Sneaking past him works, but since the raptor has a lot of ammo unused... what the heck.

r_004.png

Well, Colin is indeed here. Impaled by a gate and nearly split in two parts.

r_005.png

Silly man, he didn't notice the trap. After lifting the gate the lever must be pulled otherwise it falls down and impales whoever passes through it.

Being that nothing really dies down here, the raptor is greeted by his rival's ghost as soon as he passes the now open gate. Just like Niamh, the poor guy refuses to acknowledge he is dead and ceases communication if you point it out to him.

Being a young ghost and all it seems he can't visually manifest himself yet. In order to keep the conversation going you must avoid telling him he is dead.

r_006.png

Colin.png
My God! Did you get my transmission? How did you get here so quick! I thought I was going to be stuck down here forever! Look, help me out from under this damn thing, will you?

Raptor.jpg
How did the portcullis fall on you?

Colin.png
Another damn part of that crazy test! It was set to fall on me. A trap.

Raptor.jpg
I was only in the cathedral when I received your call. It didn't take long to get here.

Colin.png
In the cathedral!? How did you find out about Aeternis? The document I found was unique! There is no way you could be so close behind me.

Raptor.jpg
But you sent us all a letter!

Colin.png
Letter!?!? What letter? My God! How many of you are down here? I knew it! My God, I thought maybe I was being guided. Everything I looked for was right there for me, and then when I heard about this test... what a fool. I was manipulated and so was you! I sent no letter.

Damn Templars...

Raptor.jpg
Look, I'll help you out from under there, but what will I get out of it?

Colin.png
I will give you all my supplies and any information you ask. I just want to get out of this lunatic asylum! The further I have gone, the clearer it is to me that these madmen made the grail... I mean, what I am looking for, inacessible to anyone. Besides, it is obvious the thing is a jinx anyway. The state of them down here! Come on, ask me what you want and I will give you all my stuff and be on my way!

Raptor.jpg
What can you tell about the "vision of the holy thief'?

Colin.png
Oh, I thought it was baloney till I saw the floor of the cathedral by the pulpit! Then I realized there must be something to it.

Raptor.jpg
What can you tell me about Malik?

Colin.png
A vicious, ruthless megalomaniac by all accounts. I'm rather glad he escaped! I really wouldn't like to have met him down here, though God only knows what havok he has been wrecking up there. Apparently, he made some old Bizantyne chambers into some kind of laboratory and conducted some pretty disgusting rituals down there. Turned one of the knights into some kind of zombie horror! The others couldn't kill him, so they stuck him in a casket by the crypt.

Raptor.jpg
What can you tell me about the Priory?

Colin.png
Apparently they made an attempt to steal the Grail, back in the early 14th century when the Templars fell. I don't know what manner of influence they have on this place, but they obviously knew all about it back then.

Raptor.jpg
There is some kind of creature in the waters here. Do you know what it is?

Colin.png
Some kind of severe Grailstone mutation... but I couldn't begin to guess what it may have been originally.

Raptor.jpg
What other raptors have you seem?

Colin.png
That pig Warren shot at me back at the ziggurat chamber.

Raptor.jpg
What can you tell me about Grailstone?

Colin.png
Filthy stuff! It has warped and twisted the knights. And if you are unfortunate enough to die near it, you end up a real-life-honest-to-God ghost haunting this damn place! I met one in the well room. Niamh was her name. Let me tell you, I nearly jumped out of my skin!

Raptor.jpg
What can you tell me about the rest of this place?

Colin.png
We must be quite near the Grail. I have been all over the place and these are the most ornate rooms yet.

Raptor.jpg
The creatures down here, what do you know about them?

Colin.png
Not a lot. They are probably pre-historical creatures changed by this place over the long years. Geez, this stuff really is the key to immortality! But not worth the price, I guess.

Raptor.jpg
What have you found out about the guardians?

Colin.png
Apart from Philip, they are all crazy if you ask me. This Grailstone isn't good for your mental health.

Raptor.jpg
Do you know anything about Tobias?

Colin.png
I don't know... when I spoke to him he seemed reasonable. But then I heard about the tortures during his "purge". Ok, he is from a different time to anything we are used to, people fought differently and Malik's cult was pretty rough, but I don't know...

Raptor.jpg
What can you tell me about Philip?

Colin.png
He's proven pretty useful. Seems to be about the least insane of them really. Very forthcoming.

Raptor.jpg
What can you tell me about Sir Guy?

Colin.png
His bones were blood red. I have never seem anything like it! I suppose it was an effect of Grailstone.

Raptor.jpg
What can you tell me about Geffrye?

Colin.png
I found him a bit of a slimey type. Far too "nicey nice" for my taste. I don't trust him.

Raptor.jpg
Have you seem "Baphomet"?

Colin.png
"The talking head of God", according to legend. A myth propagated by Tobias in the early days of Aeternis in order to keep his influence on the outside world.

Raptor.jpg
Ok. Thanks Colin. That's all the questions I want to ask. I'd better go. But look, I have to come clean: You are dead. The portculis cut you in two. I'll try and get your body out later.

Colin.png
What do you mean Dead? Oh God... No! No!

Brutal. On the ground the Raptor picks up a fourth shield:

r_007.png

Gird yourself with courage Thief, before you lies the valley of death.

Colin also has a page of Tobias journal with him:

r_008.png

Entry 1502
November, Year of our Lord 1763 AD.

It is the day after the purge of Malik's Court, and this morning, we entered a charnel house. As suspected, Malik had revived the religion of Maal and had been using its secrets to produce horrific distortions of life.
Amongst the horrors we found the mindless, living remains of brother Claude. No attempt to end his misery succeeds. We can do naught but bury him in the crypt. Malik himself has escaped justice. he is clearly evil and I fear for the world above.
I will order the rooms sealed and may their terrible secrets rot within. The questioning of the other rebels begins tomorrow.

Raptor.jpg
:regretting having released Claude unwillingly:

Moving ahead, MS2 detects a large room with a human nearby..

r_009.png

There is a large statue ahead. Once the raptor enters the mouth of the statue opens and another recording of "baphomet" plays out:

r_010.png

r_011.png

Baphomet.jpg
Thief! You have come closest now of all your kind to the grail. But be warned, one of the great gates has been sabotaged and much of the temple lies drowned in seawater. From this point you will be unable to get back to the orrery room to place the fourth shield on its alcove. The only way forward is to follow my instructions to the letter! To your right is the door to which you must pass. Ignore all others. I will meet you there to guide you to the apotheosis of our mutual destiny.

Geffrye is waiting for the raptor on the door to the left. The one Tobias/Baphomet told the raptor not to use. Why? He seems nervous and speaks with urgency.

r_012.png

Geffrye.jpg
Thief, stop!

r_013.png

Geffrye.jpg
You must listen! I overheard the message, you must ignore it and listen instead to me! I am shocked and afraid... Tobias has lost his reason, he has no intention of letting the test continue, the temple has been flooded to prevent the thieves from reaching the grail, he intends your death! You will have to take a different route to the orrery. I will lead you to a path that is dangerous, but holds no treachery, so at least you may have a chance of survival.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: This is where the game branches off in a big way. You must choose to follow either Tobias or Geffrye. Geffrye's path is easier and I also prefer its content, so I will take it for now. After the end I will take the other path to display what would have changed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raptor.jpg
How do you know this about Tobias?

Geffrye.jpg
Nevermind how, there is little time to discuss this. Believe me, you have to follow my advice, I do not know what plans Tobias has for the grail! I fear for all human kind...

Raptor.jpg
Tell me about this other route to the orrery.

Geffrye.jpg
It holds some danger, I will show you the entrance to the rooms once held by evil Malik. You must be cautious, these rooms were sealed long ago by Tobias and filled with gas. There is a way to release this gas designed by Tobias, but I am not privy to it. Go through these rooms without glancing to right or left, the rooms eventually open over the ziggurat. From there you may reach the orrery room to place the shield. Come, follow!

Raptor.jpg
Very well, lead the way.

Geffrye.jpg
A bit of sense, good, now follow my lead.

r_014.png

r_015.png

He leads the raptor to a sort of metal chute. Shit is intense... after quickly sliding downward the raptor must quickly uncover a hidden door beneath some kind of fungus/algae and go through it before the poison kills him. There is a bright light there and you can hardly see anything.

r_016.png

r_017.png

r_018.png

r_019.png

r_020.png

After opening the door you have two ways to follow... one of them leads to a locked door, a trap and certain death. The raptor follows the other and ends up in what was once Malik's lab!

r_021.png

In the next update he will see what awaits him there...

kazgar

Arcane
tension is high!

thanks for saying you'll do both routes.

guess a bump helps, but sounds like you need to play more anyway.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei

Here we go lawd...

r_022.png

Some kind of lab/experiment room alright, but MS2 can't detect its purpose. In the operation table there is a chunk of meat of unknown origin.

r_023.png

There is a door leading to the north but it is locked. There is a narrow passage close to the entrance door that is blocked by somekind of a scorpion tails attached to the wall. The shit is alive and if you try to pass it, it stings and kills you.

r_024.png

And then there is this:

r_025.png

Some sort of mechanized multi-parts dinossaur monster, full of wires and metal parts. It is "deactivated", for now. There is also this set of levers on the center of the room.

r_026.png

Clicking on the right lever raises the creature via the wires attached to the roof.

r_027.png

Raptor.jpg
whoa..

The centre lever awakens the creature. An arrangement of blades pop out from its headless torso.

r_028.png

Raptor.jpg
:creeped out:

Ok, so the deal here is that as soon as the left lever is pushed, the little robot monster with blades attached will start running around the room like mad. If the raptor is on its way he will be sliced... you have to release it and quickly hide into a little corner. The thing slams itself on the locked door and keeps going(who knows where it will end up).

r_029.png

r_030.png

r_031.png

r_032.png

Success! Now not only is the door to the north opened, as a secret passage behind one of Malik's bookcases is acessible. It leads to what is behind the scorpion tails trap;

r_033.png

In it there is a book...

r_034.png

r_035.png

Those whose names appear below, do hereby pledge eternal allegiance and fealty to our leader Mallik nee Maal and swear before God;

1. To protect the Grail for perpetuity.
2. To defend our brotherhood to the death.
3. To overthrow the tyrant Tobias de Treece.
4. To assist Mallik to gain control of Aeternis.
5. To accept Mallik as religious guide, placing our tortured souls within his benevolent hands.
6. To mine Grailstone for our personal freedom.

In God's sight we make this agreement: (signed)Tallum, Claude, Vincent and Ewatt

Not much new here. We already know that Mallik went mad and started a little pagan cult inspired by the babylonian religion discovered within these caves.

But wait, there is more:

r_036.png

r_037.png

June 1163: The expeditions into the deep caves have proved intriguing. I am fascinated by the Bizantynes and their religion - to attempt to reshape living things to one's own will! Is this not to mirror God himself?

I will study them throughly to unlock this power. The possibilities are endless. An army of tireless soldiers obeying one strong man. Aeternis could become the heart of an empire.

But these are distant dreams. Tobias has not the vision to imagine them; and the others are as faithful hounds at the hearth, curled round the feet of an intellectual dotard.

I must be patient; wait the right moment.
r_045.png

April 1512: The translations are finished, but the information is woefully incomplete. I will have to conduct tiresome experiments to fill the gaps, and immerse myself further in the philosophies of Maal to comprehend the findings fully. This is dangerous, for the rituals involve potions that twist the mind and release into it their beast-god.

Other experiments will require human subjects, which are difficult to obtain without unwanted attention. Tobias is no fool. He may soon realise the nature of my work, and risk an attack.

Despite preparations, we may be overwhelmed.

I need more followers!
r_046.png

March 1696: The experiments are succeeding. There is a way that different blood can be blended in the light of grailstone and then introduced to a living thing. The changes that occur can be controlled - but the slightest inaccuracy engenders hideous mistakes.

Soon I will attempt modification of my first knight, but it has taken far longer than anticipated. I have made plans for my escape when Tobias moves against me. I know he will soon, so I have a quantity of Grailstone ready and a way prepared that will take me to freedom.

The last note is all blurry, distorted and lacks punctuation. The man was completely mad before he left. Very prosperian.

r_047.png

The offer of Grailstone has won me more puppets They take the potions and cavort in mindless abandon their wills soon subside

But the puppet-master has changed vague childhood memories clarified in trance A WALL IN MY MIND fell
Born to peasants I was selected for greatness the Templars abducted me to dispirit my people Now MAAL speaks through me in a voice COLD LIKE THE WEIGHT OF AN AVALANCHE His way is my destiny his cruelty holds a purity that despises limitations and defies sanity it imposes an iron will where nothing else exists
unable to separate
I MUST FOLLOW AND MERGE

That Malik was one evil and crazy dude. This last note fits with what Mikhail said about him, that he was kidnapped and brainwashed by the templars in his youth. Seems his little pagan trances broke the fourth wall there.

Following the door to the north leads to a corridor that ends at an opening overlooking the wall of the Ziggurat.

r_038.png

The temple is indeed being flooded. There are all sorts of creepy noises going on in that water... the same ones heard at the docks. MS2 doesn't detect anything, but that Sasha creature is obviously down there. Falling through the passage lands the raptor on a ledge:

r_039.png

Climbing the stairs leads to the good old spinning doorway with the shield symbol. As before, it leads to the the 8 sided room with the 3 models.

r_040.png

Well, time to head to the orrery and place the fourth and final shield in the alcove.

r_041.png

There is now this stone step shaped as a key on the east side of the orrery room. Stepping on it reviews the fourth shield slot. We are close!

r_042.png

After placing the shield The Orrery is lifted... and reveals a long downward descent full of planks... there are spikes down there.

r_043.png

There is a document nearby:

r_044.png

Thanks Geffrye! I guess... we will see about getting past this in the next update.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Inspired ones they resemble: but it is not the heart that inspireth them but vengeance. And when they become subtle and cold, it is not spirit, but envy, that maketh them so.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Their jealousy leadeth them also into thinkers' paths; and this is the sign of their jealousy - they always go too far: so that their fatigue hath at last to go to sleep on the snow.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
In all their lamentations soundeth vengeance, in all their eulogies is maleficence; and being judge seemeth to them bliss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom