Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "Neverwinter is truly a D&D game"

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
FUCKING COCKSUCKING FUCK FUCKIDITY FUCKING SLAMFUCK TITFUCK MILKFUCK IN THIS COCKMARAUDING SHITTON OF FUCKING FUCKSUCK

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
:lol:

Shouldn't you already be accustomed to shitty use of the D&D license by now?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Looks like there'll be no room for a lvl 12 Tiefling Monk/Sorcerer combo. That's a dying shame.

Seriously though, we'll let this one play out. The money is in WOW-style UIs, controls and gameplay. By deviating from the formula set as precedent by WOW, a publisher or self-funded developer is taking a giant financial risk. When you enter the fantasy MMO or RPG market, your potential customers are used to seeing certain features and elements in such games and this gives them a sense of familarity which goes a long way to helping them feel more comfortable in the game environment. In other words, the staples on which computer game genres have relied since the early days. Except that this time, rather than being developed by a one-person team in their bedroom, games like Neverwinter are developed on usually hundreds of thousands of pounds -- if not, millions -- in budget. Just like with major motion pictures, if the parties funding the venture have a weaker likelihood of gaining returns on their investment, then liberties of the design and development of the game will be restricted in part. This is one of the core reasons for the WOW style design being so prevalent in the game industry today, in the same vein that a hot chick must survive until the end in a horror film. It's the status quo -- and the status quo brings in the money.

Unless you're in-industry at a senior position in a highly respected -- and not necessarily large -- development studio or have some serious cred to your name in the games industry, realistically, you're not going to get very far in trying to change that status quo. Hey, even WOW was a big risk way back when it was being developed but it has paid off really well. Without the money Blizzard gained from it's massive success, Starcraft II and Diablo III would have been fainter propspects for development and, if they were developed, they would have been tied to more or less the same strict dev cycles as most any other game on the market, which would have likely led to poorer final products as a result instead of the exceptional quality of games that they turned out to be.

And, ultimately, that's not the way for industry as a whole to go. 'Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

wtf-am-i-reading.jpg

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Why are publishers so hellbent on ripping off World of Warcraft after all these years? Seriously, is there an actual reason, or are they just trying to throw their money away and this was the best way they could think up?

in short

Producing high-quality games takes money (with some exceptions). You cant risk money by going innovative. For every successful innovation - there are plenty of failed ones.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
p.s.

Success is defined by money earned - NOT by quality of product. In fact, high quality of product can even lead to less money earned (aka less success).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why are publishers so hellbent on ripping off World of Warcraft after all these years? Seriously, is there an actual reason, or are they just trying to throw their money away and this was the best way they could think up?

in short

Producing high-quality games takes money (with some exceptions). You cant risk money by going innovative. For every successful innovation - there are plenty of failed ones.

so when was the last wow-clone that raked in money and stacked up the profits

yeah i thought so

catfood

AGAIN
Imagine playing a DnD session and when your party is fighing a monster, the DM keeps yelling UNSTOPPABLE!

Truly, they have captured the essence of DnD.
Well 4th is already heavily inspired by MMOs in general and WOW in particular so what they're saying isn't too far from the truth.

circ

Arcane
I'd rather not play either one ever again. I did finish DA 2 though, and maybe that made me reach my limit because I couldn't handle much more than getting to the first village in Skyrim.

NewFag

Educated
ACTION COMBAT! FAST PACED ACTION COMBAT! USE YOUR ACTION COMBAT TO DEFEAT HORDES OF MONSTERS!

How majestic.:M

Hollywood

Educated
Looks like there'll be no room for a lvl 12 Tiefling Monk/Sorcerer combo. That's a dying shame.

Seriously though, we'll let this one play out. The money is in WOW-style UIs, controls and gameplay. By deviating from the formula set as precedent by WOW, a publisher or self-funded developer is taking a giant financial risk. When you enter the fantasy MMO or RPG market, your potential customers are used to seeing certain features and elements in such games and this gives them a sense of familarity which goes a long way to helping them feel more comfortable in the game environment. In other words, the staples on which computer game genres have relied since the early days. Except that this time, rather than being developed by a one-person team in their bedroom, games like Neverwinter are developed on usually hundreds of thousands of pounds -- if not, millions -- in budget. Just like with major motion pictures, if the parties funding the venture have a weaker likelihood of gaining returns on their investment, then liberties of the design and development of the game will be restricted in part. This is one of the core reasons for the WOW style design being so prevalent in the game industry today, in the same vein that a hot chick must survive until the end in a horror film. It's the status quo -- and the status quo brings in the money.

Unless you're in-industry at a senior position in a highly respected -- and not necessarily large -- development studio or have some serious cred to your name in the games industry, realistically, you're not going to get very far in trying to change that status quo. Hey, even WOW was a big risk way back when it was being developed but it has paid off really well. Without the money Blizzard gained from it's massive success, Starcraft II and Diablo III would have been fainter propspects for development and, if they were developed, they would have been tied to more or less the same strict dev cycles as most any other game on the market, which would have likely led to poorer final products as a result instead of the exceptional quality of games that they turned out to be.

And, ultimately, that's not the way for industry as a whole to go. 'Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

wtf-am-i-reading.jpg

I like how there's an image of some kinda mexican wrestler ghost face on the front of the periodical paper. And, if you squint your eyes a bit, it almost looks Ray Mysterio.

aris

Arcane
Well there was this recent mmorpg, secret world, which apparently broke some conventions, but it didn't do very well among the critics at least.

Ebonsword

Arcane
God, as soon as I heard the pseudo-metal music at the beginning, I knew it was going to suck.

The sad part is, I think Cryptic has the potential to make really great games. The combat system and character development in Champions Online are both fantastic. Unfortunately, they're let down by boring, open-world missions and lackluster level design.

Neverwinter, though, doesn't even look like it has good combat. How the hell can that be? Just cut and paste from CO!

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Christ...and here I am...still trying to get over Demon's stone.

Baron

Arcane
234 324 934 632 1,204 420 122

Some meaningless numbers on screen for those that take comfort in them.

If the code for Neverwinter is allowed to be completed it will open a portal to a hell-like abyss that for the sake of the game's intended audience I will call Hell. I don't want to play it and my Neutral Good alignment ensures that it pains me to think that others might.

Edwin

Scholar
I'd rather not play either one ever again. I did finish DA 2 though, and maybe that made me reach my limit because I couldn't handle much more than getting to the first village in Skyrim.

tutorials suck,more news at 10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom