Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trying to play Wasteland 1 but...

Every less than half an hour it completely freezes! :rage: I have Windows 7 64-bit, could that be a problem? And I play already preconfigured dosbox version from here: http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/wasteland/. There is no way to save game except for exiting it?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I have Windows 7 64-bit, could that be a problem?

If you play it in DosBox, then no.

There is no way to save game except for exiting it?

Well, yeah. It autosaves when changing locations too. So, if you want to savescum, just change location, backup save and continue.

Don't know what to say about the freezes, though. Just download it from somewhere without preconfigurations and try it like that. There isn't anything special to configure anyway.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ah... I think he means "when" not "then". Hmm.. doesn't it ask if you want to quit when saving? Then just say no. Don't remember if it's like that, though.

He means that it autosaves. But manual save is only "save & quit", I think. (edit: oh, nvm then)

Anyway

- That preconfigured version installs by default on Program Files, try installing somewhere else (this folder has never been a problem for me, but anyway)

- If the problem persists, download the game from somewhere else like MyAbandonware or Abandonia. Here's a way to automate the process so it's almost "click and play".

SinVraal

Educated
Enjoy one the finest games ever made. If this is your first time playing, post your thoughts while playing through. Sort of an unofficial "Let's Play".

Gregz

Arcane

MetalCraze

Arcane
Too bad obvious incompatibility with modern OS is not the only problem with Wasteland. The real problem is that it's gameplay is a primitive shit compared to what we had since then.

Too bad obvious incompatibility with modern OS is not the only problem with Wasteland. The real problem is that it's gameplay is a primitive shit compared to what we had since then.

No, it's actually a very nice game, for a 1988 game, if you like post apocalyptic fiction (and I do).

And yeah, I will try to post my thoughts if I have the time to properly play through it. Can't promise anything though. I did already play it when I was a kid, but I can barely remember anything.

Mortmal

Arcane
There's some freeze on dosbox with wasteland, i knew i should have gone for the c64 version..As for gameplay its primitive now of course, like many of those old games,only good for nostalgia value , sadly most of the new games are even more primitive, the hardware we have now is scifi compare to what we needed to run wastelands, yet the games arent more complex . Wasteland has full party creations lot of stats and skills and a rare thing allt hose skills may be used at some point in the game.Rough interface but lot of interactivity, and quite a huge area to explore.
Other title release that year was ultima 5 primitive too no doubt.
That said anyone has a work around for those lock ups ?

Texas Red

Whiner
And what we had since then?

Fallout 1/2
New Vegas
New Vegas DLC

Compared to

wasteland-20081027034857466-000.jpg

Wasteland_6.png

Just because some dudes are trying to cash in on this horribly outdated game instead of, I don't know, creating something new, doesn't mean it makes any sense to play it when there's so much good stuff out there.

Autistic individuals display many forms of repetitive or restricted behavior, which the Repetitive Behavior Scale-Revised (RBS-R)[36] categorizes as follows.
  • Stereotypy is repetitive movement, such as hand flapping, head rolling, or body rocking.
  • Compulsive behavior is intended and appears to follow rules, such as arranging objects in stacks or lines.
  • Sameness is resistance to change; for example, insisting that the furniture not be moved or refusing to be interrupted.
  • Ritualistic behavior involves an unvarying pattern of daily activities, such as an unchanging menu or a dressing ritual. This is closely associated with sameness and an independent validation has suggested combining the two factors.[36]
  • Restricted behavior is limited in focus, interest, or activity, such as preoccupation with a single television program, toy, or game.
  • Self-injury includes movements that injure or can injure the person, such as eye poking, skin picking, hand biting, and head banging. A 2007 study reported that self-injury at some point affected about 30% of children with ASD.[29]
No single repetitive or self-injurious behavior seems to be specific to autism, but only autism appears to have an elevated pattern of occurrence and severity of these behaviors.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
New Vegas
New Vegas DLC

Just because some dudes are trying to cash in on this horribly outdated game instead of, I don't know, creating something new,

HERPA DERP DERP.

So, I guess that in 10 years Fallout will be an outdated piece of shit too and it would be autistic of you to play it.

What the fuck does outdated mean in this case, anyway, if not "it's old so I don't like it and the interface sux lol"

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Fallout 1/2
New Vegas
New Vegas DLC

Compared to

wasteland-20081027034857466-000.jpg

Wasteland_6.png

Just because some dudes are trying to cash in on this horribly outdated game instead of, I don't know, creating something new, doesn't mean it makes any sense to play it when there's so much good stuff out there.
I played Fallout 1/2 way too much times and I kinda burned out on them. I don't have hardware to run Fallout New Vegas. Also, they are different kinds of games.

I want to know what's new in Party-based, open world, active-skill/item use based games with multiple quest solutions. Which one is better than Wasteland? Doesn't have to be post-apo.

Not really that much different other than Wasteland having a party. I guess Fallout has a deeper character system though.
In Wasteland active skill/item/attribute use is much more important than in Fallout.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Notice how he compared titles with screenshots, too. So I guess, old graphics -> game sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom