Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trying to play Wasteland 1 but...

SinVraal

Educated
How about some other games which are must play, but aren't really similar to Wasteland?

And thx, btw.

Have you played the Gold Box games from SSI? Realms of Arkania, Ultimas, Betrayal At Krondor, Darklands to name a few.

Woohoo bros! Thank you all. Now, I'm almost set for life. :D Yeah, I played some of those games, but not nearly all. I always wondered how different Starflight is compared to one of my favorite games, Star Control 2, but never got to playing it...

SinVraal

Educated
Woohoo bros! Thank you all. Now, I'm almost set for life. :D Yeah, I played some of those games, but not nearly all. I always wondered how different Starflight is compared to one of my favorite games, Star Control 2, but never got to playing it...
Very different. To put it lightly. But both games are great but Starflight is my favorite of the two. And by far.

Very different. To put it lightly. But both games are great but Starflight is my favorite of the two. And by far.

Do you also recommend the amiga version over dos?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Do you also recommend the amiga version over dos?

Starflight is one of the games where the difference in the Amiga and DOS versions is most extreme, in the Amiga's favour.
Incidentally another Star* game - Star Command - is the only game I know of where the DOS version actually had better graphics in the EGA era.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
About killing kids, I guess LARP too much. :D And should just kill them all (if they attack me). I thought you can save jackie without killing the dog and breaking the kids heart. And then killing the kid himself.
One could argue that bandits and similar are simply spiritually immature, so you always end up killing kids :troll: .
As for killing the kid, it's not mandatory. He attacks you only if you are next to him.

Texas Red

Whiner
nerd1.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bashing Wasteland is rather unusual to see. Too bad Texas Red doesn't give a particurly good critique of Wasteland. Might be interesting to see what an 80's rpg enthusiasist who dislikes the game might say.

First you need to find one on the Codex and not kids fapping to it just because it's from '80s to seem cool.

But yeah you are right - you need a person with a shit taste ("80's RPG enthusiast") for this kind of game. Others just won't understand what's so good about a game with shitty production values, juvenile writing and primitive combat today. What's the point in Wasteland when you have JA2 for example? Heck - JA1 and XCom are better games too.

MMXI

Arcane
What's the point in Wasteland when you have JA2 for example? Heck - JA1 and XCom are better games too.
What's the point of Fallout when you have JA2? What's the point of any game when you have JA2? What's the point in playing KotOR seven times when you could have played JA2 seven times?

Johannes

Arcane
Thx bro. So far seems to me it's best to just pump IQ if only by doing that you can increase skills (well except for using them and improving ingame)?
You should only purchase 1 level of a skill from libraries/chargen, for raising a skill just use it and it'll go up. When you have the skills you need, it's better to pump other stats, HP being the most beneficial one for combat I think.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah pumping HP is first priority. Then pumping STR (if you are melee) otherwise DEX if you use guns.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
First you need to find one on the Codex and not kids fapping to it just because it's from '80s to seem cool.

But yeah you are right - you need a person with a shit taste ("80's RPG enthusiast") for this kind of game. Others just won't understand what's so good about a game with shitty production values, juvenile writing and primitive combat today. What's the point in Wasteland when you have JA2 for example? Heck - JA1 and XCom are better games too.
So, JA2 and X-Com are now skill/attribute-use based cRPGs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom