Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to have pretty portraits

DLihq.png

Awesome :)
I can't wait to see shit like that and descriptions in W2. Especially, for example, the mighty guardian citadel, where men in huge black power armor patrol the high-tech gigantic walls and shoot the trespassers.

And I hope they include power armor for your rangers too, although they said they don't like the idea of your rangers ending up like space ranger, but I think it can be incorporated, without looking lame. It would be a pity because I always like the concept and looks of power armor in fallout, and it all started in Wasteland.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The problem is, perhaps those things will not appear in W2, with them taking the "serious" road. Also, I think it's very hard to represent this stuff in 3D. Text relies upon the reader's imagination, so you can pull off more using it.

The problem is, perhaps those things will not appear in W2, with them taking the "serious" road. Also, I think it's very hard to represent this stuff in 3D. Text relies upon the reader's imagination, so you can pull off more using it.

Well, it's a fantasy world (aka it doesn't exist). Why wouldn't there be a dark and foreboding broccoli forest filled with mutants (even if they are going the serious route)? Well at least I hope Guardians and their citadel will be in.

Morkar Left

Well, it's a fantasy world (aka it doesn't exist). Why wouldn't there be a dark and foreboding broccoli forest filled with mutants (even if they are going the serious route)? Well at least I hope Guardians and their citadel will be in.

I think everybody can imagine such a scene in a comicstyle fashion. But creating it in a "realisitic" style is a challenge and would feel a lot more impressive to me.

EDIT: I just have to think at Alice in Wonderland as a comparison. You can make it in cartoon style or you can make it "realistic" and experience the truly strangesness of the story.

Johannes

Arcane
And I hope they include power armor for your rangers too, although they said they don't like the idea of your rangers ending up like space ranger, but I think it can be incorporated, without looking lame. It would be a pity because I always like the concept and looks of power armor in fallout, and it all started in Wasteland.
I just hope that you can play looking like something else than a generic military squad. Aesthetically, I mean. More like a group of adventurers, than uniform uniforms.

Also remember that power armor was never pictured in the original (barring some Citadel guardian I forget). It wouldn't have to be a space marine-ish thing necessarily.

I just hope that you can play looking like something else than a generic military squad. Aesthetically, I mean. More like a group of adventurers, than uniform uniforms.

Also remember that power armor was never pictured in the original (barring some Citadel guardian I forget). It wouldn't have to be a space marine-ish thing necessarily.

I've been following the armor discussion as well. I tend to agree that having everyone look like space rangers at the end of games can be a bit distracting. We are looking into designing into the world some additional paths beyond simply "bulky is always better". There are some interesting groups in the world working on different technologies. It is possible to get strong but thin materials.

I guess we'll have a choice, for those that do not prefer black bulkiness of citadel power armor. I prefer it. :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would choose any other portrait from Bloodnet over this.
That game had exquisite character portraits.
This one lacks soul and is too cliché

kaizoku

Arcane
Now that I think about it, that in-game screenshot Fargo posted last week was a great move.

In effect he was trying to gauge the reaction from the public to see where he should be going with the game:

1) try to capture the Wasteland essence, which from an artistic perspective according to today's visual standards translates into a more cartoony look (which easily allows it for silly stuff like giant Broccoli in a lulzy way)

2) try to make the best game, in the sense that the future is portrayed as we suspect it will according to our contemporaneous ideas (so probably no cheesy 70s/80s stuff), and the artistic direction follows a more realistic path in order to take advantage of today's HW capabilities

And the reaction was?... if you are so inclined to remember it...

C&C gentledexers

updated my journal

Johannes

Arcane
Oh, and for alternate portrait styles that'd be a better fit for Wasteland can be easily found just browsing the Codex, on the left side of screen. Most are not pixel art.

Yeah, my avatar too which is not even from a game.

Also the Fallout avatars seem more fitting than the official "badass".

Kahlis

Cipher
"fashion" and what's popular don't mean jack shit, and trying to follow them always leads to utter shit, that's a lot of why games are so bad already. So hopefully they won't listen to you tards at all.
Pretty sure they said in the design document the game was going to have a bit of a Generation X 70's/80's science fiction feel. Hopefully that means we'll have cool, cheesy beeping computers with lots of blinking red lights and brick cell phone communicators.

Stelcio

Savant
"fashion" and what's popular don't mean jack shit, and trying to follow them always leads to utter shit, that's a lot of why games are so bad already. So hopefully they won't listen to you tards at all.
Learn to read first, then call me a tard. Tard!

Heechee

Liturgist
And they've made a very good point in favour of changing at least some of the environments - the post-chernobyl regrowth has completely changed our understanding of what happens in a nuclear wasteland. Humans die, animals get fucked up but some will adapt and survive, but mostly nature takes over again. You're more likely to see lush forests (of course, you wouldn't want to drink the water - though low-level radiation isn't as big a problem for animals that only live around 6 years anyway...) than deserts.

Actually, the lush forest is neither more nor less plausible postapo environment than the traditional Mad Max desert. What happend in Chernobyl has zero relevance for global nuclear exchange, it's something entirely different. Some would argue that a frozen wasteland is the most realistic outcome, but the debate on nuclear winter has never been concluded. Noone really knows.

And they've made a very good point in favour of changing at least some of the environments - the post-chernobyl regrowth has completely changed our understanding of what happens in a nuclear wasteland. Humans die, animals get fucked up but some will adapt and survive, but mostly nature takes over again. You're more likely to see lush forests (of course, you wouldn't want to drink the water - though low-level radiation isn't as big a problem for animals that only live around 6 years anyway...) than deserts.

Actually, the lush forest is neither more nor less plausible postapo environment than the traditional Mad Max desert. What happend in Chernobyl has zero relevance for global nuclear exchange, it's something entirely different. Some would argue that a frozen wasteland is the most realistic outcome, but the debate on nuclear winter has never been concluded. Noone really knows.

Thing is, varied environments are a good thing in crpgs. And W1 had much more varied environments than Fallout. So it's all good. Deserts, Forests, Nuclear Winter... :thumbsup:

Stelcio

Savant
Learn to read first, then call me a tard. Tard!

Reading your first post was enough :roll:

I did read it you're just completely full of shit.
Apparently you didn't, so here's a free lesson, retardo: stating how things were doesn't mean liking or approving it. Feel enlightened?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom