Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
1.13 has lots of cool stuff and more weapon variety than you'll ever need but the NCTH and specially the retarded fact that you can't hit a barn door past very short ranges without optical sights even with a merc having the best marksmanship skill just sucks. Iron sights aren't that bad for accurate shooting in trained hands and rifles like the SKS have adjustable iron sights up to 300 meters. Hopefully they will eventually fix it.
edit some .inis, I think that can be changed

Cassidy

Arcane
Yes, but you can't set separate max iron sight ranges for each weapon, and a pistol iron sight not having any accuracy penalty for aiming at 300 meters besides the ballistics one(which is more or less unimportant in NCTH as I realized using a HEZI SM1 .30 carbine with a 4x scope) would be super-cheesy. In my JA2 LP, and for future playthroughs too, I changed the max iron sight range to 100 meters(10 tiles) which is more or less reasonable. Wish individual weapons had individual sight range settings instead.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Btw, the game had a -40% off this weekend on Steam. I suppose it means that this piece of shit isn't selling that well. I feel a bit better.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Is this game good yet? There was a massive update or something like that.

potatojohn

Arcane
They named the latest patch 1.13, I guess so when people google it they find BIA instead of JA2.

zeitgeist

Magister
Jagged Alliance: Crossfire is a stand-alone expansion to the hit tactical RPG – Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. Crossfire adds new mercenaries, new environments and new weapons to challenge the player’s battlefield planning skills, while offering the combination of humorous dialog and realistic combat fans have come to expect from the series’ decade-long history.

Telengard

Arcane
Jagged Alliance: Crossfire is a stand-alone expansion to the hit tactical RPG – Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. Crossfire adds new mercenaries, new environments and new weapons to challenge the player’s battlefield planning skills, while offering the combination of humorous dialog and realistic combat fans have come to expect from the series’ decade-long history.
And it's going to be $30. For 10 mercs and 10 maps. Together with a whole promised 15 hours (sure sure) of gameplay.

Wow. I'm, so impressed. I'm Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

GreyViper

Prophet
They named the latest patch 1.13, I guess so when people google it they find BIA instead of JA2.
Holy, I mean OH WOW they really did.:eek: I am surprised that 1.13 mod team is taking this so calmly, :oops: or maybe they know better then to notice and react to a turd.:smug:

Edit: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire is a stand-alone expansion to the hit tactical RPG . This line, every time I read it I stat to chuckle due to the BS there.:lol:

Keshik

Arcane
Yeah, nothing like MMO-style pulling for battlefield tactics.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I own Back in Action and all its DLC. Have yet to play it. MHC gave some amusing reports in the Steam thread to much booing and hissing...

Multi-headed Cow

I own Back in Action and all its DLC. Have yet to play it. MHC gave some amusing reports in the Steam thread to much booing and hissing...
Not as bad as the Codex lead me to believe, but I did slow way down on playing it once I came up against actual soldiers. They seem far better armed and trained than my mercs, which may be an issue of me having shit mercs with shit equipment but I dunno. Takes a lot of effort to take down an enemy soldier wearing body armor/kevlar pants/helmet, and they seem to dump far more damage at longer range than my mercs.

Even my anti-materiel rifle couldn't one-shot 'em in the head. Left them with something like 1-5 HP left, which then usually had to get picked down 1HP at a time at long range by my normal riflemen due to body armor and range reducing the damage so much.

Multi-headed Cow

Tried to demo.
Be warned, the demo apparently isn't up to snuff with the current patched game. I gather they didn't have any LOS (All enemies are always seen) in the demo/launch game whereas they do now, etc.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They have fog of war which is not LOS

So let's see

Shitty combat
Shitty graphics
German humor

This shit is still inferior to JA2

Why pay for it if you have JA2?

LizardKing

Scholar
I tried the demo and it was a major disappointment.
It'll never be a real Jagged Alliance game, but with some serious patching and modding it could become a decent game.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Decade long history? Uhm, wasn't Jagged Alliance 1 released in the mid 90's? And 2 released in 98 or so? That's more than a decade long history...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
this thing is pretty much the fallout 3 of jagged alliance

all the praise I hear is eeriely similar

"Well I didn't play the older games but OMG THIS IS AWESOMMME"
"It's a good game, just not a good sequel"

etc etc

sser

Arcane
Developer
It is an average title, falling somewhere between Silent Storm and that eerie, dusty wasteland of tactical games.

Real-time with pause. That's the gist of the game and has to be overcome to enjoy it at all.

Everything is sorta just meh. Mercs are meh. Map is meh. Quests are meh. etc. A lot of streamlining in the game; from purchasing weapons, to selling gear, to hiring mercs, to the e-mails, to finding shit, to talking to people, to load outs and carry weight, to aiming, to stealth, walking, stamina and health, the list goes on.

Shooting folks is satisfying when you use the bigger guns. Watching a guy turn the corner and get blasted halfway to Kenya by a pump shotty tickles a good part of my brain. Same for the shootouts, though they lack the destructive nature of previous titles. I guess Silent Storm, which is far better than it gets credit for, is hard to match in the "visceral gunplay and destruction" aspect.

Don't feel gypped on my $10 or whatever I threw at it. I give it a whatever/71. In terms of Steam purchases, a better than Alan Wake/that sound your wallet makes when the two ends clap together a little too loud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom