Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any strategy games set in WW1?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only ones I know of are AGEOD's WW1 game and Agression: Reign over Europe.

Agression has horribly buggy battles with the worst pathfinding I've ever seen. Meh. Could've been a lot better.

How's AGEOD's game? I haven't tried it yet, is it worth getting?

Are there any more WW1 games on either a global level or where you fight land battles (I'm not really interested in naval strategy games)? Both turnbased and realtime are good, both "casual" and hardcore wargames. I'm really quite interested in the era, too bad they don't make many games set in it (okay, obviously the trench warfare isn't really that good for a game, but WW1 wasn't just constant trench warfare).

oscar

Arcane
Only problem I can think of about a First World War game is that with hindsight it would be very easy to win (if the game was realistic at all) and the AI played historically. Simply build lots of submarines (irl Germans only dedicated like 10% of there resources to subs and still came within weeks of starving Britain) and don't attack until you develop tanks or infiltration tactics.

Though still a far more interesting war then the Second.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Huh, Victoria? You played that one, right? The best game for your misguided, 19th century nihilistic desire for world empire! Branches out in WW1 too, good times to remember about! Play as Prussia, and then Germany, reaching out in Europe for the sake of german culture and Totality, preparing the world for a man-made City of Heaven, killing everyone and burning everything that doesn't agree with you, in the name of life, freedom, goodness and beauty, and Reason of course, couldn't forget that one, that one is very important!

Hegel wants you to play Victoria!

200px-Hegel.jpg

"Yeah, play it, faggot!"

What are you waiting for? Only YOU can go back in history and realise the good ol' dream of world empire, giving an end to mediocrity, history itself and the work of jews... once and for all! Humanity shall be united until everyone is happy, virtuous, and beautiful, or you will kill them without mercy, for their own interests of course, tell me you will be up for the job!

ricolikesrice

Arcane
I have fond memories of History Line 1914-18 being awesome but to be fair its over a decade since i played it and maybe it wasnt as good as i remember it.

Victoria already been mentioned but

victoria2_packshot_2D_esrbtmp_pccdrom_hires.jpg

isnt that far away anyhow.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Forgot to mention that I played Victoria.
I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel to yet again forge a large German colonial Empire.

Norfleet

oscar said:
Only problem I can think of about a First World War game is that with hindsight it would be very easy to win (if the game was realistic at all) and the AI played historically. Simply build lots of submarines (irl Germans only dedicated like 10% of there resources to subs and still came within weeks of starving Britain) and don't attack until you develop tanks or infiltration tactics.
All wars are easy to win in hindsight. They are even easy to win in foresight. The real reason wars are not won easily is because in any military establishment, there is a sizeable component that is hidebound and tied to the last war. To prepare a military for the next war would involve putting all of those people out of jobs. Unfortunately, those people also happen to include your best commanders at the time. Since one cannot operate a military without them, let alone win a war, you are simply not going to find anyone willing to follow the crazy, crackpot, and perhaps ultimately correct, ideas of some crazy gamer. Games rarely simulate this particular human aspect.

oscar

Arcane
True. Doesn't really deal with the 'unless the player acts historically the AI is pretty much doomed if the player has ever rid a history book'.

Is the First World War mod for Hearts of Iron II any good?

Norfleet

oscar said:
True. Doesn't really deal with the 'unless the player acts historically the AI is pretty much doomed if the player has ever rid a history book'.
Even without a historical component, the AI is doomed if the player acts like a gamer. Heck, in the real world, if a gamer were given powers of supreme dictatorship, they would either win outrageously or lose horribly. If a gamer were allowed to run the world, we'd either be on Alpha Centauri or extinct by now. However, people just aren't willing to wager their existences on "Alpha Centauri or bust".

Fomorian

Novice
JarlFrank said:
The only ones I know of are AGEOD's WW1 game and Agression: Reign over Europe.

Agression has horribly buggy battles with the worst pathfinding I've ever seen. Meh. Could've been a lot better.

How's AGEOD's game? I haven't tried it yet, is it worth getting?.

I find the AI is still too terrible to be any challenge but it's pretty fun in PBEM if you're into that. They've also ironed out the worst of the bugs by this point.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Yup, as far as I can remember History Line was fun. More of an puzzle game though as most of the BlueByte games were.

I have always wanted to play a tactical turn based WWI game but that prolly wouldn't work in practice...

Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands
AEGOD's WW! game just got a makeover. Don't know if they solved the massive, massive problems with the original. TOAW has a couple of user made WW! scenarios.

Just thought I would bump this oldie to see what people thought of any new (or old) WW1 Strategic wargames out now? I know of a few, and am thinking of taking the plunge. If anybody has played them, played a 'demo' of them, or know of another game then by all means, tell me about it.

The games I know about currently:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/384/details/World.War.One.Gold Heard it was terrible buggy and unstable.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/331/details/Guns.Of.August.1914.-.1918 Lost in the shuffle, but looks interesting...anyone?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/385/details/Commander.-.The.Great.War. Again, looks interesting. Any takers?

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=271&Itemid=452 And another one! Again, has anyone tried this out?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
World War One was reviewed by me back before the Gold update. I was not impressed. The Gold update didn't change that.

http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=64

Guns of August was quite meh from what I gathered. Commander The Great War I heard practically nothing about. Strategic Command is one of the better known WWI titles. An expansion is due to arrive soon.

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/news/coming-through/

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/strategic-command-world-war-i-pc-game-review.htm

That one I am rather interested in myself.

You know what? I continually forget that Tacticular Cancer is a seperate website...I think I will bookmark it and head there more often.

I will have to keep an eye on SCWW1.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
If you get the Operational Art of War(possibly the best strategic old school hex and counter game ever made), they have a bunch of WW1 scenarios you can play that have some cool elements like using Trains, cavalry, trenches, gas, etc. All those things we know and love. You have to not be a graphics-whore, of course, and it's one of those games you have to be "in the mood" to play and willing to set aside a few hours for each gaming session. Otherwise, you won't really get into it, and it will just collect dust.

Edit: Also, PBEM and hotseat are pretty fun for those. Hotseat makes it feel like a boardgame, can be fun. One of the few times I wish I had a tablet with full functionality for games like that.

Here's the linky: http://matrixgames.com/products/317/details/Norm.Koger's.The.Operational.Art.of.War.III

It's my go to strategy game for that scale. I remember somebody even made a scenario with the entire planet and fully functional research/industry etc. if you wanted to play through WW2. Each turn took about an hour though, and the AI took about 15 minutes to think.

Quilty

Magister
Can't say I've ever played a good WW1 game. It strikes me as a very interesting setting, though. I guess you could consider Victoria a WW1 game if you get the right conditions, but still, that's not really it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I have half a dozen WWI-inspired Armored Brigade mods which I will never release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom