Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War in Russia?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Has anyone here played it?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Anyway, one interesting thing is that it allows giving objectives for HQs. This way one doesn't have to move every counter on map like in War in the East.

SSI's strategy game? no but ive seen it being played.
Seen it played?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
GG WitE? Didn't do much for me.
I like Grand Strategy games, but with a lot of athmosphere, and that game has none. Besides, it's a shitty sluggish engine, they chose it to save development time.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I like Grand Strategy games, but with a lot of athmosphere, and that game has none. Besides, it's a shitty sluggish engine, they chose it to save development time.
No. It's a much older GG game. It's available from Matrix Games for free.

I did play it for a while, but it came out during a very busy period for me, so I spent much more time with the older title, Second Front.
Second Front? What was it like? Any screenshots?

Luzur

Good Sir
No. It's a much older GG game. It's available from Matrix Games for free.

I did play it for a while, but it came out during a very busy period for me, so I spent much more time with the older title, Second Front.
Second Front? What was it like? Any screenshots?

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/second-front-germany-turns-east-108

only page i could find with good pics.

sorry mods if it displeases you.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
WITE is cumbersome, gigantic, detailed to a fault and sluggish. It's also fantastic to play the grand campaign. Takes bloody ages to learn and even more to play but it's so in-depth and gargantuan that you can't help but love it. No more than one or two turns a day though. Else you'll grow tired quickly.

It's not a sleek game like the newer Decisive Campaign games or having a great system that carries it like for instance Unity of Command but it is a massive wargame in the traditional sense of the word. War in Russia is very much an early predecessor but of that exact kind of games. Paradoxically easier to play despite being old as fuck to. WiR is free, so why not just give it a try?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
WITE is cumbersome, gigantic, detailed to a fault and sluggish. It's also fantastic to play the grand campaign. Takes bloody ages to learn and even more to play but it's so in-depth and gargantuan that you can't help but love it. No more than one or two turns a day though. Else you'll grow tired quickly.
What's the lowest unit that you have to move by hand in WitE?

It's not a sleek game like the newer Decisive Campaign games or having a great system that carries it like for instance Unity of Command but it is a massive wargame in the traditional sense of the word. War in Russia is very much an early predecessor but of that exact kind of games. Paradoxically easier to play despite being old as fuck to. WiR is free, so why not just give it a try?
Just started playing it. I recently discovered that I bought a manual for it over a year ago.
I started playing as Soviets and German panzer units are gobbling up my HQs.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Units of War in the East consist of regiments, brigades, divisions, and corps sized units (plus air groups).They also differ in size as to how big they were historically. So you can basically see GroBDeutschland grow from regiment to division. Yeah, it's massively.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Units of War in the East consist of regiments, brigades, divisions, and corps sized units (plus air groups).They also differ in size as to how big they were historically. So you can basically see GroBDeutschland grow from regiment to division. Yeah, it's massively.
How much units there's usually to command?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
How much units there's usually to command?

Axis full campaign starts with over a 1000. Mind you, that includes air groups and support. The 'counters' you actually move are still a few 100 at least.

The game also hides a lot of its mechanics in order to keep the player from 'gaming' the system. Leads to a lot of fun speculation mostly. What irks me is that it seems that axis experience degrades from 43 on. While I get that replacements recieved less and less training I do not like it that my standing units which are not in battle and which are training degrade. Or seem to degrade. Some people point out that more experienced troops are sent to frontline units. Again, the mechanics behind it are hidden so this is all conjecture. :)

Is there any game set in Russia? I get curious.

Only ever second wargame ever made?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom