Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

counter-strike global offensive

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
So this gets released the 21. I've bought it but don't plan on playing the beta as most probably it will get a big patch on release.

Impressions?

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
No one interested? I do remember some 1.6 players being on the forum. I guess this should be considered the natural successor as Source was quite shit?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I haven't played Counter-Strike religiously in about a decade, but I too picked up CS:GO. My impression is that it's a lot like... Counter-Strike. In fact aside from some optional rule sets and a few new weapons, I can't really tell that anything has changed. I'm sure some CS fanatic will now jump in and list all the things that are different (and therefore shit) but to a casual observer the game is virtually indistinguishable from previous iterations of the series. Not that that's necessarily bad -- CS is fun, afterall -- but my initial impression has been "that's all that they changed/updated?"

Norfleet

There is only one thing one needs to know about this, and that is a reason not to play this: When you play Counterstrike, the terrorists win.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I stopped playing CS after they patched tactical shield in, more than 10 years ago... I suppose is still a fun game, but with stuff like MW3 to Killing Floor I really don't know why poeople would care for this besides the nostalgia of "OMG, Dust_2!" ...

Also, I doubt that CS GO will have CS_RIO. :monocle huehue:

MapMan

Arcane
CS was fun. It still can be fun. I stopped playing CS when I realized that I have absolutely no fun playing it anymore. I played like a machine. Entered a server, owned some noobs, left. It was pre-highschool when I could do nothing all day but play if I wished to. Then came CSCZ, CSS... CSS wasn't as fun to play anymore. What Valve should really do (instead of shitty mods for CSS) is do CS2. Like, a real sequel with new mechanics and everything else overhauled. I mean, CS1.6, CSCZ, CSS, CSGO, they're all the same games, they play the same but if you'd have to choose one that is the best and most fun it'd still be CS 1.6. So go and make a new CS, one that plays differently, thats fresh and innovative. I'd love to get into a new online shooter but currently there's nothing worth interest.

Norfleet

I'm honestly uncertain how one can really "innovate" shooters. They're shooters...they all basically work the same.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Counter-Strike is long dead man. Why Valve wasted their time reviving it just shows how much they got their priorities straight. Again.

Hoping this game gets picked up for global competitive play so they can sell a lot of them and give out licenses?

Does it cost money to host an event with a game like Starcraft 2 for example?

I guess so?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
god damn a lot of people are playing football manager. it must really be some fun shit.

As for CS:GO... I liked CS-copypasta mods for unreal tournament.. except you fought zombies in those.
Never really played CS though.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
CS was fun. It still can be fun. I stopped playing CS when I realized that I have absolutely no fun playing it anymore. I played like a machine. Entered a server, owned some noobs, left. It was pre-highschool when I could do nothing all day but play if I wished to. Then came CSCZ, CSS... CSS wasn't as fun to play anymore. What Valve should really do (instead of shitty mods for CSS) is do CS2. Like, a real sequel with new mechanics and everything else overhauled. I mean, CS1.6, CSCZ, CSS, CSGO, they're all the same games, they play the same but if you'd have to choose one that is the best and most fun it'd still be CS 1.6. So go and make a new CS, one that plays differently, thats fresh and innovative. I'd love to get into a new online shooter but currently there's nothing worth interest.
Problem is that the community is so dedicated to the original game concept that it's hard to drastically change it. They already fractured their community with Source and even 1.4-1.5-1.6 so any updates they make aren't going to be anything more than new graphics and maps at this point.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Problem is that the community is so dedicated to the original game concept that it's hard to drastically change it. They already fractured their community with Source and even 1.4-1.5-1.6 so any updates they make aren't going to be anything more than new graphics and maps at this point.

Well a new game might unite all these groups

Destroid

Arcane
I stopped playing CS after they patched tactical shield in, more than 10 years ago... I suppose is still a fun game, but with stuff like MW3 to Killing Floor I really don't know why poeople would care for this besides the nostalgia of "OMG, Dust_2!" ...

Also, I doubt that CS GO will have CS_RIO. :monocle huehue:

Those games are really not that similar to CS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom