Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #30: Concept art of how Shadowrun Returns will look in-game

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns

Harebrained Schemes posted something about some convention they were at. That's not all too interesting. But there was something of interest in their latest update. A (fake) screenshot!

Click for a bigger version.

From the update:

While this is concept art – not a screenshot – it’s representative of the fidelity and art style we’re shooting for. For the uninitiated (or those seeking a quick refresher!) the concept above depicts the infamous Redmond Barrens* of the mid 2050s.

The game environment will be composed of painted 2D elements, so we should be able to deliver the level of detail, depth and expressiveness that you see here. Characters in Shadowrun Returns, on the other hand, are being constructed in 3D – which allows them the fluid movement and wide range of character design and equipment options you’d expect from an RPG. We’ve done a number of tests and the 2D/3D mix feels very natural.​

Painted 2D environments! I'm swooning!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm curious how the handpainted backgrounds will work together with the level/run editor they were talking about. Are we talking handpainted props/buildings that get seperated into tiles? The perspective in the screenshot definately seems like an xcom-style grid layout could be in place.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
That's what I mean, and the characters look like paper miniatures

hey yeah, they have flat shading on, I didn't catch that, was distracted by the crap I mentioned

the blob shadows that make them look like they're floating top it off nicely

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm not too fond of the post-90s Disney character design either but whatevs.
Characters will be 3d once in-game.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The environment itself looks great.
Though there are a lot of characters in that concept piece marked with a "golden glow" that don't really fit...

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The characters looks a bit weird but the background is great,I hope the actual game looks like that
:thumbsup:

Stinger

Arcane
Agreeing on the sentiments here about the background- the cityscape looks great. The characters are...ok, I don't mind the cartoony look but they do look a bit to bright and shiny and not grungy enough to match the cyberpunk aesthetic of the rest of the city.

The glowing on what I assume are notable NPCs looks a little odd to though I guess that's how the devs will differentiate the NPCs worth interacting from the generic ones.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
yeah perspective looks good, characters... ehhhh... wall-E over there looks kinda cute, but the others, meh.

EG

Nullified
A world suffering from vitamin D deficiency.

It could be worse.

Morkar Left

Environment looks great and the 2d/3d choice is exciting for me. But the chars look like child cartoon characters. I really hope they fix that because that isn't what SR fans expect that I'm sure.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'm curious how the handpainted backgrounds will work together with the level/run editor they were talking about. Are we talking handpainted props/buildings that get seperated into tiles? The perspective in the screenshot definately seems like an xcom-style grid layout could be in place.

Yeah, very curious about that as well...

EG

Nullified
Background looks great, but why such shitty cartoonish characters? WTF for? Can we vote anywhere and steer characters more in the style of the rest of the game?

Raptor-legged blobs are just the new fashion in character modeling.

Background looks great, but why such shitty cartoonish characters? WTF for? Can we vote anywhere and steer characters more in the style of the rest of the game?

I know, but that's just shit design. I mean their "sister" project Shadowrun Online has "realistic" character models, and what's wrong with that?

EG

Nullified

I know, but that's just shit design. I mean their "sister" project Shadowrun Online has "realistic" character models, and what's wrong with that?

PwMLq.png

That was bigger than I expected.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like it. Nice to have hand painted backgrounds again and the perspective looks good. I agree that we can lose the "glow" around characters. That's just as bad as a huge exclamation points floating over their heads. Give me good clues or directions to where these important NPCs are within the game's narrative (where is Caius Cosades?!).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom